Problem in installing Windows XP SP2

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
I have a desktop with Intel P4 3.0 GHz Processor, 915 based MB, 512 MB DDR RAM (128x4) and a 80 GB HDD (SATA). Earlier I had Windows XP SP2 installed on my drive. Later I switched to Ubuntu and kept switching between the two OS's as and when required. Last year I even installed the preview version of Win7. Everything was fine until then. Now, if I try to install any other OS; be it Ubuntu, Win7, Fedora etc., I am able to do so without any problems. But, whenever I try to install Windows XP, the system hangs randomly at any step during the installation process. I tried to use a different installation medium but that produced the same results. Also, I am able to install XP on another system using the same disk. I then tried to install XP using a pen drive, but that failed too (with same effect).

I have installed Win7 on the system and its working fine, but I want to install and use XP. If anybody could please help me rectify the problem and install XP on my system, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Maybe its coz your xp installation disc doesn't have sata drivers. Try installing xp SP3 , which will have SATA drivers

OP
bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
Maybe its coz your xp installation disc doesn't have sata drivers. Try installing xp SP3 , which will have SATA drivers

I will try installing SP3. If its a problem of SATA drivers, why does the same disk is able to install XP on other systems (with SATA Disks)?

do win xp give any error msg during instalation ??

if yes post it. if no then try complete format of the root drive eg. C:

proably u r quick formatting it.

if any of the above does not work, most likely u have a virus in other drives that effect win xp as soon as it is installed. also disconnect from net during installation. after installation install a good AV and scan full system before using net.

if u can afford boot from a clean hdd with a AV, making ur drive as secondary and perform full scan.

bst... use linux

aswin1

Journeyman
If your system gets shut down while installing XP then you are facing the same problem I had. Finally I found it to be due to overheating proceesor. Try running a system stability
test using Lavasys Everest & check the temperatures and also if your system shuts down
during this test. If it does you need to check CPU fan.

OP
bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
I have checked for the CPU overheating and it ain't the case.

I tried installing XP with SP3 yesterday but to no avail. Same issue; the system hangs while installation. Formatting and copying of files completes successfully. Then the system restarts and further installation continues but it hangs after 2-3 minutes.

I have tried and formatted it using Win7 and WinXP and Ubuntu too. Ubuntu and Win7 installs without a glitch but Win XP fails. Is there a way to format it in a different way? I think there is some problem with my HDD.

OP
bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
How many partitions do you have in your HD. Try installing on another partition.

I have two partitions on the drive; one is 20 GB and the other is around 55-60GB. I have tried to install on both the partitions, but, without success. I even formatted whole drive and then partitioned it again and still no success.

There is one thing I would like to mention. Yesterday I attached another HDD (20GB) which was attached earlier (Its a PATA drive) and then tried installing XP. This time XP did install. But then I didn't want to use this 20GB drive and hence removed it again. Now, again the same problem surfaced. After that I tried to install XP on the 20GB drive (I removed the 80GB SATA drive) and the same problem occured. Then I added both drives (as I had successfully done earlier) and tried to install XP on the 20 GB partition of SATA drive, but still the problem occurred.

I have tried all possible drive combinations now but haven't been successful. If it is a hardware fault then why am I able to install other OS's?

Somebody please help me with it.

manaskumar

Have fun till death!!
This problem seems to prevail for a long time now. Try following
  1. Reset Bios to factory setting
  2. Then insert Win7 installation dic and do a memtest on RAM to check its health
  3. If everything is fine then insert WinXp CD and try to do a complete format of system
  4. If any error occurs note and post the same in this forum
  5. If the screen freezes the give description of the point at which it does so.

Looking forward for your reply.

Top Bottom