Problem connecting to free online VPN

Recently i came across online vpn- vpnaccount.org. I thought of trying it at my office. I created a VPN account and connected successfully for the first time but after minutes it got disconnected. When i tried reconnecting, it gave an error -

"registering your computer on the network. Error 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection"

At random times, it gets connected but mostly it comes up with this error. Is it always like this with free online VPN's or is it due to some problem at my end.? I am using Windows 7 SP1 32 bit. Our office has fortiguard firewall as web filter

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Give Tor a try.

Read this:
ISP vs VPN vs Tor | manurevah

and if you are not allowed to install software on your PC at work, there is a portable version of Tor. Its a zip file, which you can extract and run. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

oh.. you have admin rights... that makes it simpler.

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
Give Tor a try.
Read this:
ISP vs VPN vs Tor | manurevah
- - - Updated - - -

Sorry it took time to getback. I tried Tor. It didnt work. I read more about Tor and tried using bridges that i manually obtained after mailing them. Even i downloaded "tor 3.6.1 beta" which has custom bridges included. Even this didn't work. It finally said Tor failed with "Establishing an encrypted connection failed" message. But Tor worked in my personal laptop which i tested using airtel dongle. I guess this is because, Tor or even VPN may be blocked by the firewall. Is it so.?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
even i cant give you more detailed insights, because of my limited knowledge in this field.

you can see your firewall settings for any application rules.

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
you can see your firewall settings for any application rules.

I am connected to a server which has the firewall installed. So i just can't see it. I think i need to know if the firewall installed on the server accepts/rejects Tor request. Is there anyone to whom i can ask about it.

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
Get CyberGhost Try It and Report

Hi Ironman. Coudn't download Cyberghost normally as our firewall blocked their website saying this it comes under proxy avoidance category. So i searched for working proxies, used one and downloaded Cyberghost. Installed and started it but it couldn't connect to its servers displaying a message saying- "Could not establish a secure connection to the Cyberghost 5 network. Maybe cyberghost is blocked in your country or by your ISP". Searched their website for help. Under a post, they have mentioned they can try connecting to Cyberghost servers through UDP connection on port 9081 but i didn't know how to do that and here i am reporting it. :(

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman

Tried some VPN softwares such as Cyberghost, Hotspot Shield, VPNGate. All failed to connect to their VPN servers. Strange that Windows 7 inbuilt feature to create a VPN connection [which i used to connect with uk.vpnaccount.org] worked and these softwares were blocked while establishing a connection. Is it the firewall installed in the server, blocking these VPN softwares. Is there anyway i can find it out

kaz

right here
best free vpn I came across is topukvpn, you don't need to create any account, the username and password is same for everyone though the password changes 3times a day.
You also have FreeHotSpotVPN and Vpnbook but none of these will help for torrents :(

My college has blocked almost everything tor, ultrasurf and all other proxy sites, now VPNs are our only saviour :D

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
have you considered using tor or ultrasurf? though they aren't vpn but are free :)

Hi. I already tried it. See post #6. Tor couldn't establish a connection. After looking this post, i downloaded Ultrasurf and used it. Nope not a difference. Ultrasurf didn't work. The firewall is pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -
but none of these will help for torrents :(
No. I am not going to download torrents. I was just annoyed that i cant browse certain sites which got me into this. I was frustrated.

best free vpn I came across is topukvpn You also have FreeHotSpotVPN and Vpnbook
I tried these VPN configurations. They didn't work. Till now only *vpnaccount.org/ works. I need to mention that it uses SSTP protocol to connect whereas the VPN's you recommended use PPTP. Is that a problem.? I don't know

My college has blocked almost everything tor, ultrasurf and all other proxy sites, now VPNs are our only saviour
May i know what firewall your college used.

kaz

right here
Here they use sonic wall
Facebook, ibibo, Flickr, all gaming sites, torrent sites, everything on this planet is blocked :(

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
I have come across Sonicwall firewall back in 2010. I use to add https and voila any website could be browsed.

Update:
I tried SSH proxy tunneling method using Putty after creating a free bash shell account with cjb.net. It didn't work either. Websites couldn't be opened as each time the browser displayed an error, "Could not establish a connection". I had given dynamic port as 8080. I tried with 80, 443 ports too and it didn't work. Maybe they might have blocked SSH proxy too.

Someone kindly help me out

Top Bottom