Problem after installing drivers on ubuntu 7.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidmetal

Right off the assembly line
A couple of days back I was installing drivers for my audio card [they were official.. from the realtek website]. After installation, something went wrong and my graphics drivers got messed up. So I decided to reinstall ubuntu... [some help about how to restore the drivers would be helpful... but thats not the main thing right now...]

The install was going quite well, but at the very last the installer says that grub could not be installed. so I finally got frustrated and restart my comp. It showed the normal POST screen, but then *BLANK*. It just showed blank screen with a blinking cursor. I thought this was normal, but when I tried booting from a CD... it didnt work. I tried booting from USB devices, but that didnt work too.

So now I have a hdd with no boot loader and a cd drive which does not run bootable CDs. Any idea how I can get out of this mess?

Details you might want to know...
My lappy is a Lenovo 3000 Y410, Core 2 Duo, Phoenix BIOS, the CD drive works perfectly (checked it using the Audio DJ feature).

PS: My CD drive is working, but my computer does not boot from CDs (I've checked the BIOS settings...)

Thanks,

praka123

left this forum longback
ur hdd boot sector may have some problems(not sure).do u have GRUB when u boot into?if not,boot a livecd and install grub natively which i will post here later.

regarding sound drivers,afaik ALSA(inbuilt) supports most audio cards.What is the use of downloading source from realtek,when ur card may be already supported?

and regarding blank screen.what is ur graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom