Problem activating MS Office 2010 Home and Student Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Though I am a long-time reader of Digit, this is the first time I'm posting here.

I have recently purchased MS Office 2010 Home & Student edition Retail version. Now, for the last two weeks, I have been trying to activate it, but all in vain.

Whenever I try to activate it via Internet, I get the following error message (and activation fails):

"An unspecified error has occurred. Your request cannot be processed at this time. Please try again later. (0x80070005)".

Another peculiar thing is if I select the "Activate by phone" option, in the screen that follows, whatever country I select from the drop-down list, it doesn't display any telephone numbers. Further, instead of the actual installation id, it shows "[installation code]" and all the fields for me to enter the Confirmation Id are disabled.

I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me with this problem.

Other information that may be useful:

During installation, when I enter the Product Key, it validates properly, but activation does not take place.

I have installed the 32-bit version of MS Office 2010 but my OS is Windows 7 64-bit, running on a Dell laptop with 3 GB RAM.

Some of my services (such as Office Source Engine, Office Software Protection Platform (OSPP), Software Protection Service, SPP Notification Service) weren't running. I started those services (and even set them to automatic), but still it has been of no use.

I even downloaded and installed all the updates, but no progress...

I then found there was a problem accessing the ProgramData\Application Data\ folder. I took ownership of that folder and set the appropriate permissions, but it still is not activating.

I even called up Microsoft's helpline (a Bangalore number, meaning an STD call), but after a long investigative chat with me, the Tech Rep said that it was because my version of office was Geo locked and could "never be activated in this region". However, when I returned the box back to the vendor, he tried it on his PC and it installed and activated properly. Thus, the problem seems to be with my laptop!

I looked up the Net and have tried many of the so-called solutions, but none seems to work. I have uninstalled and re-installed MS Office 2010 an umpteen number of times and am nearly at my wits end. :-(

I hope someone here can help me with this problem.

Regards,
Sunil

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
DO you have static or Dynamic Ip address ?? set the Ip address to and DNS to obtain automatically in network adapter setting.

OP
S

ss786@vsnl.com

Broken In
DO you have static or Dynamic Ip address ?? set the Ip address to and DNS to obtain automatically in network adapter setting.

Thanks, topgear, for your suggestion.

My IP address is static. As suggested by you, I changed it to dynamic, rebooted and tried to activate, but it was of no use. I am still getting the same error.

Thanks.
Sunil

OP
S

ss786@vsnl.com

Broken In
Resolved: Problem activating MS Office 2010 Home and Student Edition

Hi all,

After working for nearly 2 weeks with a Microsoft Tech Support guy, I have finally managed to get it to activate!

The problem was due to conflicting access permissions on the system (both, to some system folders on the C drive as well as to some keys in the registry).

Luckily for me, my hard drive crashed and after Dell replaced the drive, I freshly re-installed Windows. After re-installation, the first thing I installed (even before installing any antivirus/firewall package) was MS Office. And that's it! It installed and activated with no problems at all. [I just hope it will now install on my PC running XP 32-bit without any problems...]

(Of course, I now have to reinstall another 200 programs on my machine. But, that's another story altogether. :)

Once again, thanks to those of you who tried to help.

Sunil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom