Privacy/anonymity in the interwebs

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Hi,
I see a lot of users here use original names as forum handles and some of them not.Some people post link to twitter/fb accounts in their signatures while some others dont even reveal their location(most of them have imaginary location) So, do you care about your privacy in forums/internet? and
Why?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i never use real info on forums & i don't see a reason to use it either.forum is different from a social networking site where you can use the excuse of connecting to old friends etc.as for location a city's name is enough as it helps in replying.e.g.anyone with location in/around Delhi or Mumbai can be easily suggested shops in major pc markets in their city for required components.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Hi,
I see a lot of users here use original names as forum handles and some of them not.Some people post link to twitter/fb accounts in their signatures while some others dont even reveal their location(most of them have imaginary location) So, do you care about your privacy in forums/internet? and
Why?

i think, there is no privacy issues in having real names on forums. the name does not do anything but their deeds do something. :)

sksundram

In the zone
I don't care much for my privacy online. I am active only on forums and quora. No to Facebook/Twitter.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
we take on personas. tags. names. if you are sahil in real life, you get to be an ali in the virtual, and only a loser despo (read NSA) will know enough to track you down. still does not stop you from getting a rep with that tag. you are still accountable for your text. on the other hand, using a real name in a virtual space is no diff from using a non real name.
in the end usernames questions your relationship with and identity in the real world... so the actual name does not make much of a diff at all

Top Bottom