[Preview + Feedback] Digit May 06

Status
Not open for further replies.

soham

In the zone
Ya, the fast track was as good as those professional guides you get from publishers like Wiley and O'reilly. Team Digit must have put in a real hard effort. Keep it up.

OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
vyasjisworld said:
THANKS For The Freee Aditional Cd With all Requirements for system thks a lott
We gave 2 CDs?
This is news.

P.S. Does anyone know how admins can bypass this 30 character requirement?

tuxfan

Technomancer
Fast Track alone with DVD for May is a true paisa vasool :D The mag issue is a bonus :) Good work guys!

@fatbeing, which 30 chars limit are you talking about? I may be able to help ;)

Edit: Ok understood what you are saying. There are no options for this in vB Control Panel. You may have to modify the code directly or live with it or change it for all. I think you will select the second option :p

Last edited:

kundra.nitin

Right off the assembly line
lol, you nocturnal fatbeing?
awake at 3.30 am?????????

anyway
fasttrack is Aw3s0m3 as always
digits hardware reviews are way better than the competition's (just need larger screenshots)
models should not feature on the cover, if they must then ample assets are mandatory(in this case the ipod beats the crap out of the model in sex appeal) my mum flipped thru the mag to check what i had bought!!
some wallpapers from as late as 2003 were repeated
print on pg 16,17 is substandard :a total put-off
why would digit publish an article on TRANSISTORS and semi conductors?
you still give full page ads midway thru an article
i know how you guys want to be noob friendly, but 5 pages on space management? and thanks to you my 15 year old brother now knows what a WHORE is. how? he asked me. when i hesitated, he threatened to ask mom. THANK YOU......
i dont want to get banned by commenting on the time-pass article
no screenshots in a game review????

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hey, I got a mail saying it will be dispatched on 8th and its 11th today. Should I wait more? Or send a help now? I guess I wait till tomorrow... and btw, 8th was election in TN so how can you deliver to people on that day? :?

soham

In the zone
I might be late in commenting but found this month's speaker test quite cheap. I mean there were a lot of speakers but big players like bose and jbl where missing. Moreover there was no Creative Megaworks and Artis X10 which were winners last time. Most of the speakers in the 2.1 category was rated as poor. And I was expecting high end 7.1 speakers like the Creative Gigaworks.

Last edited:

blackpearl

The Devil
Ahmed Shaikh gave a weird piece of advice in the article Dude, Where's My Data. He wrote that the virtual memory should be assigned 1GB more than the system memory. For 512MB RAM, a 1.5GB virtual memory is acceptable but for a 2GB RAM a 3GB virtual memory is a total waste of HD space. I dont believe that the Digit guys does not know that virtual memory requirement actually decreases with an increase in system memory, so why is this error? I feel a page file of around 500MB should be enough for 2GB RAM. Secondly, in the figure I notice that the cache partition is located at drive 'O' which is very far from the boot partition. For best performance the swap/cache partition should be located closest to the boot partition where it is faster. Partitions closest to the rim of the HD are the fastest. The pagefile is the bottleneck in the performance and speed of the system. So the more we can limit the use of the pagefile, the faster will be the system. In this context, the location and size of the pagefile is an important factor that determines the performance of the system. That article has given a very wrong idea about virtual memory.

The article on Winamp was useless. The article does not describe any tricks or tweaks to squeeze more performance out of Winamp. What you have basically done is rewritten the help file. We dont need an article to tell us what to find inside the Option menu. Every s/w released to date comes with help files. You cant turn them into articles for your mag. Almost everybody uses winamp and is aware of its various settings. Instead of writing about Winamp you could have written about an alternative music player that could be used in place of winamp.... just for a change. In trying to make the magazine easy to understand, some of the articles have become too noobish (eg Winamp, How to get rid of common XP annoyances .... very old tricks). I want to read articles and tutorials that require more than simple point and click.... tutorials on 3D modelling for instance. Why not a tutorial on FPS Creator rather than on Game Maker?(smart fellow that Nimish is, picking up the easier one ;))

The tips & tricks section was good. But that trick on Linux, instead of using [Ctrl]+[R], we could do the same thing by hitting the UP and DOWN arrow key!!

OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
In re the prices, they're always going to be a little high - we print MRPs in Digit, and the resulting street price will definitely be less than that, but it's different for different cities, so you never know.

In re Game Maker, dang! My secret's out.

E.T.

Broken In
It would be more informative for the readers if you can provide both the mrp as well as an estimated street price( at mumbai or delhi). i think the street price would at best vary by a 100-500 bucks or so in other cities.

Padikkal

Broken In
The Fast track on Photoshop is GOOD. The next issue is anniversary issue. It will cost Rs 200/- with all repeated contents on CD/DVD and some old games(like midtown madness).
Be careful !!

( Last year experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom