[Preview + Feedback] - December 2006 Special Issue

Did you like the new "Digit OS" CD/DVD interface?

• Awesome!

Votes: 44 46.3%
  • It'll do, I guess

Votes: 27 28.4%
  • Horrifying!

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • There's a new interface?

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
Here we go!

Magazine Contents

Digital Passion

Cover Story
The Digit Zero1 Awards 2006
A round-up of sorts; an award ceremony of sorts. Here are the best tech products to have come from manufacturers’ stables in 2006. We speak with authority.

In Sight
Will Wii Rock You?
The Wii and its controllers seem fascinating upon first look. But how much will the console do for Nintendo and its lost crown?

Tomorrow
In Search Of Order
As we cough our way through clouds of smog and avoid toe-trimming taxis, we wish deeply for technologies that will ameliorate the situation

First Hand
Leading The Charge
There are whiz-kids, and then there are whiz-kids. Shadab Ansari built a robot that can actually help our troops in the line of fire

Digital Tools

Lead Feature
The Geek’s Pickings
Here’s our yearly round-up of what tech delivered in 2006. We spot some trends, blame some entities, name some broken promises, and thank some boffins around the world for having made the world a more interesting place

Net Gain
Space.com & LiveScience.com
Many of us surf for tech news and the latest developments—and also just to kill time. Lazy, pointless hours of “idle surfing.” Put some of those decadent hours to good use, rekindling your astronautical and chemistry-experimental passions you had as a boy. We think these sites are worth every bit
of the time you spend there. Kids might just develop new interests

Agent001
Ringing In The New
Agent001, our alpha geek as products go, decides to do himself a favour and get a new cell phone. He also happens to be reasonably unbiased. Many of you will want to know what exactly he was looking for in a phone, and what he finally bought—turn to the page!

Bazaar
Our regular section on (mostly) good products that have made it to store-shelves. Featuring a cool mouse, a nice Flash drive, a couple of interesting LCD displays—and not to forget, the iPod nano 4GB. And more.

Know More About... 4G
The fourth generation of wireless communications, or 4G as it is called, has no definition! Find out what it’s about, who’s talking about it, and why

Going Shopping?
The Digit Buyer’s Guide 2006
Not everyone is Agent001: whereas he makes a living keeping himself informed, we have our lives to go about. So how do you decide on what to buy? Here’s a useful, comprehensive guide

Digital Business

Smart SoHo
What Lies Beneath
If you want to take the Linux plunge, why you haven’t already is most probably because of your love for certain Windows applications. There happens to be a way out. You can make the switch and run those Windows apps! Find out how

Tech Careers
Intelligence Inside
Embedded systems is a hot career field. It’s been that way, and will remain so for quite some to come, as we see it. The field is an eminently viable career option for software as well as hardware engineers

Smart Business
The Everywhere Office
Online office suites are a good idea for when you need to collaborate while being separated geographically

Digital Leisure

Main Story
Agent 002?
People think “Virtual Reality” is something we’re moving towards. Actually, it’s already here. Go ahead—live in what is most certainly a virtual world

Test Centre
Look Ma!
Web cams are well-nigh indispensable for those with friends and relatives abroad. With broadband trickling in, here’s how to stay in touch—the way the world does

Game On
Reviewed this month:
Need For Speed: Carbon
Battlefield 2142
Warhammer 40K Dawn Of War: Dark Crusade

CD/DVD Contents

The CDs and DVD feature our brand, spanking new interface - make sure you check it out and post your feedback!

CD 1 - The Digit Archive and More

Two years worth of Digit and Fast Track (PDF format)

Everything Google - from software to the SDK to 40 Desktop Gadgets!

Boot this CD to find SLAX Kill Bill Edition!

CD 2 - dyne:bolic bootable CD

CD 3 - Utilities

Boot this CD for the Ultimate Boot CD!

Essentials
.net framework 2.0
ATI Catalyst Control Center 6.10
AutoPatcher XP October 2006 Update
Avast Home Edition 4.7
Avast Update
Digit Software Archive 2006 Beta
DirectX 9.0c October 2006 Redistributable
Firefox 2.0
Foxit Reader 2.0 Build 0930
Intel Desktop Utilities
Internet Explorer 7
Irfan View 3.98
K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.6
NVIDIA ForceWare 93.71
NVIDIA nTune
Opera 9.02
Realtek AC97 Audio Driver 3.94
Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4
Spybot Search and Detection updates
VLC Media Player 0.8.5
Winamp 5.3
WinRAR 3.61
ZoneAlarm 6.5.737

Tools
Deskloops 2.0
DriverMax 1.2
DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0
ImageHide 2.0
NVIDIA Gelato
Windows Unattended CD Creator 1.0.1
WinGuard Pro 6.5.14
NetLimiter 2 Pro
Perfect Keyboard PRO 6.30
RadarSync 2007 2.0
StrokeIt .9.5

CD 4 - Work

Productivity Tools
Advanced Time Reports Personal 7.2.127
Dynacom Accounting Startup Edition 10.0
Jetsoft P2S Converter 1.09
MyPhone Book Dialer 6.0.1
OpenOffice.org 2.0.4
Portable Apps Suite Beta 1.0
AgendaMax Plus v4.2.0.17104
Auto Payroll 1.2
Corel WordPerfect Office X3
Topicscape 1.03
Word to PDF Converter 3.0

Mobile Apps
Audacity Portable 1.2.4b
Budget Diary
GIMP Portable 2.2.12
Milo Diary
Pulsepaper 1
Quake I (for Nokia Series 60) 0.06
SMS Forwarder Lite
Spybot - Search & Destroy for Symbian 2.0.3
Visual CE Version 8.1
YehBA Instant Messenger
Knight Tales

and finally

DVD - Play

Games

Game Demos

Need for Speed: Carbon
Battlefield 2142

Free Big Games
War Rock
Eye of the Kraken
GunZ: The Duel
Tremulous
Slam Soccer 2006
Glest

Free Small Games
Rick Dangerous
Cedric and the Revolution
Doomsday Engine
Asteroids
Danger From The Deep
Worminator 3
The New Adventures of Zak McKracken
Super Mario War
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
Secret Maryo Chronicles
Advanced Strategic Command
Room War
Xenon 2000
Dink Smallwood
Dark Oberon
Halo Zero

Audio/Video

Movies
Blue - A Short Film
Jack and the Beanstalk

Machinima
Slightly Later Man
A Few Good G-Men
I'm Still Seeing Breen Video Mods Edition
Edge Of Remorse - Trailer

Eye Candy

More than 1200 Wallpapers!

Fast Track to Google - Part I

(Price: Rs 200)

Last edited:
whats the price? what ever I will buy, even today also checked for mags arrival,

google part1, so there will be part2 in continuation.

soham

In the zone
Four CDS. Thats too much stuff for a single pack. you could have easily provided a single DVD in place of the cds. No special content in the cds/dvd. No movie/ no game and still we are expected to pay a higher price. Even the november CD/DVD with Ashampoo Burning Studio and Ashampoo Winopitmizer was better. Hope the magazine is good.

Tapomay

Lazy fat guy..
Is this a special issue? For what....man??? 3 useless CDs and a bogus DVD??? :mad:
Only CD 1 has some good stuff. Else are just of no use.

Now just tell me one thing, why every month you start the 'By Demand' thread when you all are determined to include stuffs of your own choice?

BTW Raaabo promised to include every legal demands but failed to keep. :(

nishanth_che

Broken In
1 DVD and 4 CDs ? You guys made us upgrade to DVD drives long back and you give us 4 CDs,wierd..........

Except for the bootable CD all the other CD contents could have been put in the DVD or could have been ignored.

Why didn't you guys put a female on the cover ? :-( But the cover pic looks much much better than last year's dec issue,which had Sania's worst pic ever :)

azzu

AJJU
thats a great issue i got what i wanted i think i will quarrel with my mom and dad for the money NOW ( i have wasted all the pocket money :D )

dissel

Cyborg Agent
thanks for making such nice issue :)
I only want the PDF archive CD of Digit previous issue which i miss earlier.Hope the CD works properly.

Last edited:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
I have to say, this is the best issue since the 5 year aniversary issue.

Aditya

P.S. :- PC World is giving Fedora Core 6 wih december issue and a movie, Million doller kid (not baby). And the magazine contents are superb. For this issue, I will have to say, PC World has defeated digit.

Last edited:

blackpearl

The Devil
nishanth_che said:
1 DVD and 4 CDs ? You guys made us upgrade to DVD drives long back and you give us 4 CDs,wierd..........

Point!!

nishant_che said:
Except for the bootable CD all the other CD contents could have been put in the DVD or could have been ignored.

Nothing special on the CDs.

Instead of putting Abhisekh Bachhan on the cover, you could have saved money and bought distribution right for a commercial game. That would have been a special issue. Now I pay Rs 200 for what? For seeing Abhisekh?

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Kill bill is good, I was looking for a distro with Wine Packages any way preview could have come earlier. What does this Fast Track To Google Part I mean? Are there more than one FT2G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom