power supply making strange noise..do i need to chane it

Status
Not open for further replies.

hskpunjabi

Journeyman
hi friends, my power supply is making strange noise..somewhat like grinding n' system after booting,after xp logo ..i got only grayish screen ..same thing happens-2 again when i restarts.
then i plugged out and plugged in power supply wires and then system gives msg;
no ide drivers ?
no raid drivers ?( ihave a ide Hd and a Sata Hd)

( P4 HT 3.06Ghz+Asus P5rd1-vm board+2gb ddr ram+i ball cabinet)

after some time i again re-plugged pwr sply(iball) wires and system starts working and grinding sound becomes very slow but still there are some sounds
the strange sounds are coming from a long time ,some times they appear sometimes not.......
i am confused whether i should change my pwr sply or not..
if yes which one should i take

allmighty

Broken In
power supply cant make grinding sound it makes sparking sound when it does :) ...unless its the fan of ur power supply...

or maybe its ur harddisk...l check them one bye one by loading oprating sytem to see if any of them makes the noise ....

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Check ur fan in power supply. Is it spinning?

And i also have doubt on hd. Because this type of voices r made by hd.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
power supply can make that kind of noise..i got a new antec power supply years back and there was this loud grinding sound..i thought oh man! i have to return it now..then i found it was the rear fan of the power supply hitting against the grill..bad fittings should i say or bad packaging..
to put a long story shot if the power supply you have is working fine and also recently some of the noise you have described came from the cabinets..you might want to strain your ears to see to find out the actual source of the noise and seeing the make of the power supply, i wouldn't be surprised if it is doing something funny to your other components and as other mentioned above..hard disk is the most likely culprit and is the most mechanically challenging components of a PC system..any slight disorientation and malfunction of the heads or motor inside can result in hiccups like that to be unidentifiable visually but identifiable by the sound it emitted when it hit on the disk surface itself or the motor stalled or picked up speed like a rash driver usually do with their cars. i also think you should go to the base and activate the bios and set it to default and then save then reboot and see if it c..lan make it shut up and recognise the hard disk properly..your powersupply must be pretty old which means the capacitors has aged and cannot produce the same power like it used to do when it was young just like human beings are. so that could be a problem too but first you need to make sure it is not the hard disk problem

continue another time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom