nakulvit

Broken In
My current configuration is.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 (1.86GHz)
Asus P5NE-SLI Motherboard
2GB RAM @ 533MHz
20x DVD Writer
Creative Audigy Value 7.1
A 250GB 7200 rpm Hard Disk( Seagate I think)
450W Supercomp Power supply
And also 5 Fans (2 at Front, Back and one on the side)

The issue is that i've bought a new graphics card. An EVGA 9600GT KO Edition. My vendor says that a 450W power supply is insufficient and that i should go for atleast 600W.

Now my questions are:

1. Is what he says true? If that is the case then i plan to go for an SLI rig later on, and possibly some overclocking/upgrading. What supply should i go in for to be safe in the future?

2. I read some articles about hooking up two Power supplies together. How safe is it and has someone out here actually done it? If so, then will one dedicated 450 W power supply be sufficient for two cards to run in SLI?

The second questions answer would be more important as i'd get to save some cash...

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
i havent heard of supercomp power supply..so i guess it wont be sufficient for sli if it is a generic power supply

get the higher range of coolermaster (realpower range), antec , corsair if you want to be more future proof..

OP
nakulvit

nakulvit

Broken In
Supercomp is like a really budget model.. I got it with my case. My question was whether 450w is enough.. And if it's safe to hook up two power supplies and use one for just the graphics cards.. Sli or not...

Beta Waves

Journeyman
For two cards a power supply with power rating more than 450W is necessary.

But for one 9600GT 450W is sufficient but see to that it meets the current requirement. Graphics card will have certain min requirement (For ex 12V and 20A). See to that your SMPS meets that current requirement.

nakul_vit

Right off the assembly line
For two cards a power supply with power rating more than 450W is necessary.

But for one 9600GT 450W is sufficient but see to that it meets the current requirement. Graphics card will have certain min requirement (For ex 12V and 20A). See to that your SMPS meets that current requirement.

Hey... Thanks a lot man!! One last thing... Are power supplies by this supercomp company reliable??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom