Post your latest Purchase

aakaash

Broken In
Purchased the following from local market for my home:

1. Su-Kam Shiny 900VA sine wave inverter Rs. 5400
2. Exide Inva Master (IM10000) 150 Ah tall tubular battery Rs. 12700

The battery comes with 36 months of warranty. No pics for the moment as I am not at home. Will update after my next home trip.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^full home going solar eh ? :D

any facility at your place to feed & sell solar electricity to grid ?

Not yet, but, half of it will. Full home going solar in foreseeable future, maybe, 2-3 years down the line.
As for now, feeding into the grid is useless, as the Net Metering policy is not in favour of the consumer, but, is in favour of the discom. So, I get paid at the price I pay the discom for the utility power. Plus, the procedure is tedious.

icebags

Technomancer
Not yet, but, half of it will. Full home going solar in foreseeable future, maybe, 2-3 years down the line.
As for now, feeding into the grid is useless, as the Net Metering policy is not in favour of the consumer, but, is in favour of the discom. So, I get paid at the price I pay the discom for the utility power. Plus, the procedure is tedious.

yes, i also heard, they deduct the amount of unit you feed to the grid. but even though the process is lossy, u will be only feeding the excess amount of electricity, right ?

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
This is amazing, what is the viability of this ? What about stormy weather ? And will the total cost/benefit be good
The viability (in economic terms) comes out to the entire economical gains from the system I am expecting? Other things like Reduction in Carbon Footprint and other superficial stuff, can't be quantified. As for the costs of the overall system, I am expecting the payback period of the entire cost of the system to be around 65 months (for a PV array of 1KWp, which I have planned to add in the current system, around 2 years of the initial installation, and including the cost of additional PV panels to the entire cost, in order to calculate the payback period), that is around 5 and a half years. This is a good enough payback period when considering a economically viable lifespan of 25 years, for the panels, I will still have a good enough 19 years to generate the power, and thus money. In this calculation, I have taken into consideration, some of the real life constraints that come into play in such a system, like the temperature coefficient, which determines the efficiency of the entire array, based on the temperature, and this value is in negative as we go up the temperature curve, which means that as the surrounding temperature goes above 25 degree celsius (the temp. at Standard Test Conditions), there is a decline in the efficiency of the module. Also, considering the other losses, like the usual reduction in the panel efficiency over the period of time, and also considering other losses in transmission, conversion, etc, of the power generated, and the power consumed in driving the entire tracking system, throughout the day.
About the stormy weather, like strong gusts of wind causing a potential threat to the entire installation, yes, that is a cause of concern. I haven't been able to design a system good enough to completely take care of such scenarios, but still, I have a few plans, like, for example, aligning the array horizontally, in such a scenario, this, probably, minimising the potential threat by gusts of wind from sidewards.
Now it's up to you to decide whether the total investment in such a system will be good enough or not, but you need to keep in mind that I have planned to be capable enough to generate the entire power requirement of my current house, and I do intend to complete this in the next 2 to 3 years.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
The viability (in economic terms) comes out to the entire economical gains from the system I am expecting? Other things like Reduction in Carbon Footprint and other superficial stuff, can't be quantified. As for the costs of the overall system, I am expecting the payback period of the entire cost of the system to be around 65 months (for a PV array of 1KWp, which I have planned to add in the current system, around 2 years of the initial installation, and including the cost of additional PV panels to the entire cost, in order to calculate the payback period), that is around 5 and a half years. This is a good enough payback period when considering a economically viable lifespan of 25 years, for the panels, I will still have a good enough 19 years to generate the power, and thus money. In this calculation, I have taken into consideration, some of the real life constraints that come into play in such a system, like the temperature coefficient, which determines the efficiency of the entire array, based on the temperature, and this value is in negative as we go up the temperature curve, which means that as the surrounding temperature goes above 25 degree celsius (the temp. at Standard Test Conditions), there is a decline in the efficiency of the module. Also, considering the other losses, like the usual reduction in the panel efficiency over the period of time, and also considering other losses in transmission, conversion, etc, of the power generated, and the power consumed in driving the entire tracking system, throughout the day.
About the stormy weather, like strong gusts of wind causing a potential threat to the entire installation, yes, that is a cause of concern. I haven't been able to design a system good enough to completely take care of such scenarios, but still, I have a few plans, like, for example, aligning the array horizontally, in such a scenario, this, probably, minimising the potential threat by gusts of wind from sidewards.
Now it's up to you to decide whether the total investment in such a system will be good enough or not, but you need to keep in mind that I have planned to be capable enough to generate the entire power requirement of my current house, and I do intend to complete this in the next 2 to 3 years.

terrific!!

might i advice you to start a worklog thread and update it as and when you go.
you can also put in bits of the electrical/electronic/mechanical concepts that any other guy might need if he plans the same.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
terrific!!

might i advice you to start a worklog thread and update it as and when you go.
you can also put in bits of the electrical/electronic/mechanical concepts that any other guy might need if he plans the same.
Thanks mate.
Actually there is already a thread where I've been updating about this for quite some time now. Considering the time it took me to finally complete the project (Spoiler Alert - It is still not complete, yet), a separate thread for this might be useless, since, I am working on this alone for quite some time now, and the progress is painfully slow. Plus, a dedicated thread might not serve the purpose, as I do not have any formal education in this field - Electronics, Mechanical Engineering, and other stuff, I have engrossed myself into, so, it all is working on trial and error. :tongue_NF::winking_NF:
In case someone wants to track down, I'd be updating the LED's For Home Lighting thread, on a regular basis.
And I do understand, discussing this topic over here doesn't serve any purpose.:smile_NF:

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, placed order for this. MPPT Charge Controller-cum-Solar Prioritizer for my system. The Jigsaw puzzle is complete now. This will help convert my existing non-solar inverter into a solar inverter by prioritizing the input from Solar panels when the power is available from them, and will transfer the loads on the inverter, to be driven by panel output in case the batteries are fully charged. :smile_NF: *i.imgur.com/Z9Qh98s.png
REhub MPPT : 12/24V 40A - Now add Solar to your existing backup Inverter: Amazon.in: Home & Kitche

icebags

Technomancer
^i would still say, you need to check if its more profitable to feed the excess to grid than charge batteries.

feeding makes you evade double conversion losses. :ligthbulb_NF:

use solar power in day, use coal power in night.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^i would still say, you need to check if its more profitable to feed the excess to grid than charge batteries.

feeding makes you evade double conversion losses. :ligthbulb_NF:

use solar power in day, use coal power in night.

Actually, for now, the fight is to be self sufficient in terms of power. Plus, why make Mr. Ambani richer by contributing my hard earned power to his greedy company? :winking_NF:
On a serious note, I have skimmed through Delhi's Net Metering Policy. When comparing the overall gains, one gets by selling the excess power to the DISCOM (DIStribution COMpany), Reliance ADAG's BSES Rajdhani, in my case, it appears that the one selling power to the DISCOM, is a fool, or atleast I get an overall impression of this when seeing this part of the Net metering Proposal of DERC (Delhi Electricity Regularity Commission).

*i.imgur.com/W2ilJju.png

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
By your rough estimates till now, which I am sure you have done, how much will you be saving had you gone to a commercial solar power provider [of equipment, installation and after sales service]?

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
[FONT=&amp]My ancient rig, built around Aug 2009, has been due for an upgrade for a long time, but I have been too busy to get the time to do the necessary market search and, of course, the time to do the actual purchase. Last month (10/02/2016) I finally took the plunge – egged on by the need to upgrade to Windows 10 on a system that will last me for some years to come. All the components were purchased from Vedant Computers, Chandni Chawk, Kolkata. Here is the complete list of the new components – everything that goes inside the cabby, except the graphics card and the PSU, plus a multi-card reader:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K Rs. 26,000/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII formula Rs. 31,500/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Rs. 9,300/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]RAM: G-SKILL RIPJAWS V (2X8GB Kit) Rs. 10,500/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB Rs. 10,800/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Multi-Card Reader: Transcend RDF8 USB 3.0 Rs. 820/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Sub-Tota:l Rs. 88,920/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] VAT (5%): Rs. 4,446/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] Grand Total (After allowing a discount of Rs. 166/-): Rs. 93,200/-

Images to follow.

Last edited:

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
[FONT=&]My ancient rig, built around Aug 2009, has been due for an upgrade for a long time, but I have been too busy to get the time to do the necessary market search and, of course, the time to do the actual purchase. Last month (10/02/2016) I finally took the plunge – egged on by the need to upgrade to Windows 10 on a system that will last me for some years to come. All the components were purchased from Vedant Computers, Chandni Chawk, Kolkata. Here is the complete list of the new components – everything that goes inside the cabby, except the graphics card and the PSU, plus a multi-card reader:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K Rs. 26,000/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII formula Rs. 31,500/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Rs. 9,300/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]RAM: G-SKILL RIPJAWS V (2X8GB Kit) Rs. 10,500/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB Rs. 10,800/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Multi-Card Reader: Transcend RDF8 USB 3.0 Rs. 820/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Sub-Tota:l Rs. 88,920/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&] VAT (5%): Rs. 4,446/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&] Grand Total (After allowing a discount of Rs. 166/-): Rs. 93,200/-

Images to follow.

great config!!

but where is the GPU? or are you a non-gamer?

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
[FONT=&amp]My ancient rig, built around Aug 2009, has been due for an upgrade for a long time, but I have been too busy to get the time to do the necessary market search and, of course, the time to do the actual purchase. Last month (10/02/2016) I finally took the plunge – egged on by the need to upgrade to Windows 10 on a system that will last me for some years to come. All the components were purchased from Vedant Computers, Chandni Chawk, Kolkata. Here is the complete list of the new components – everything that goes inside the cabby, except the graphics card and the PSU, plus a multi-card reader:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K Rs. 26,000/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII formula Rs. 31,500/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Rs. 9,300/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]RAM: G-SKILL RIPJAWS V (2X8GB Kit) Rs. 10,500/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB Rs. 10,800/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Multi-Card Reader: Transcend RDF8 USB 3.0 Rs. 820/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Sub-Tota:l Rs. 88,920/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] VAT (5%): Rs. 4,446/-
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] Grand Total (After allowing a discount of Rs. 166/-): Rs. 93,200/-

Images to follow.
One word, Awesome! I would happily get a whole computer built within the cost of that motherboard. Finally, I now know why people say - mothers are precious. :p
BTW that's a killer rig. I'm hoping that you would add a 30K GPU as well. :p

Top Bottom