Post your latest Purchase

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats!!2TB!!Wow!!Guess you've a lotta HD multimedia files.
How much for the HDD?And how much the shipping charge?

Yeah, a total of 4TB storage right now. I hope this will suffice for some time to come. The cost was Rs. 5537 inc. 5% VAT. Shipping was Rs. 180.

ssb1551

Technomancer
4TB!!!Jeeeeez!!
5.5k!!Aint that a bit high??You could've had got it for 5.2k(incl shipping) at theitwares.com.

vwad

In the zone
Guys, If one buys one 4GB stick and other 2GB stick of DDR3 RAM of different manufacturers, will it be possible to use them as 6GB DUAL CHANNEL memory on a single mobo ?

ssb1551

Technomancer
Don't the memory sticks have to be of same size to work in dual channel?
I mean both the modules should be of 2GB each or 1GB each or 4GB each.
You would have to find 2 3GB sticks which aint possible.You can have 3 2GB sticks running in a trichannel mode.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
4TB!!!Jeeeeez!!
5.5k!!Aint that a bit high??You could've had got it for 5.2k(incl shipping) at theitwares.com.

yeah, just a bit. actually i was also looking for the dock and trying to get them from a single place. moreover, itwares' was WD20EADS model with 32mb cache. mine is WD20EARS with 64mb cache and index no. 00MVWB0 instead of 00S8B1. You can find the differences here:- Hard Disk Drives Roundup: Winter 2010 - X-bit labs

vwad

In the zone
You would have to find 2 3GB sticks which aint possible.You can have 3 2GB sticks running in a trichannel mode.

Yes, That was my doubt. Thanks for clearing it. :)

ssb1551

Technomancer
Don't go by my words only.I aint so sure about it.I just recollected a discussion I was having with a few of my friends on this.But I've forgotten most of the info.I've a very bad memory.

digibrush

digitalpainter

I want to know which is best 2+2+2 gb memory as trichannel mode or 2+2 as dual channel + single 4gb?

I am asking which performence is better, trichannel? or Duel channel + 4 gb?

ssb1551

Technomancer
Your latter option has 8GB of RAM whereas the former 1 has 6GB.So obviously the latter one will perform better coz of memory,ofcourse if you are using 64bit OS.
If the choice would have been between 2+2+2 & 1+1+4 then I would have gone for the former one.

digibrush

digitalpainter
I am wotking with photoshop, 3ds max, Poser. after reading this: The 8GB/64-bit advantage - More RAM doesn't always mean better performance | ZDNet

Accoring the their opinion "More RAM doesn't always mean better performance", But with photoshop their conclution is " Photoshop speed test clearly showed that the more RAM you have, the faster you get your work done."

So I decide to add more memory, but not sure which combination is best for me. I already have 2+2, If I add another 4, in future I will add another 4 gb which makes my total memory 12gb.

ssb1551

Technomancer
I know Jas.I was just talking about hypothetical situation where an app can use as much RAM as the system has.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
I am wotking with photoshop, 3ds max, Poser. after reading this: The 8GB/64-bit advantage - More RAM doesn't always mean better performance | ZDNet

Accoring the their opinion "More RAM doesn't always mean better performance", But with photoshop their conclution is " Photoshop speed test clearly showed that the more RAM you have, the faster you get your work done."

So I decide to add more memory, but not sure which combination is best for me. I already have 2+2, If I add another 4, in future I will add another 4 gb which makes my total memory 12gb.

No triple channel for you since your signature says Core i3, you have two options ->
a. Dual channel memory --> 2+2 OR 2+2 + 2+2 (you need to buy couple of 2 gb sticks, preferably same as the ones you already have) (the more perfectly matched they are, the better it is)
b. No dual channel memory --> 2+2 + 4 (+4).

The first option will give you more performance and speed, total memory of 8 GB
The second option will give you more memory space, 12 GB --> more application running simultaneously.

So, its up to you really...I dont know about Photoshop/Maya/3DMax/Matlab etc...

but are you going to run a lot of memory eating apps at the same time so much that you need 12 GB of memory space or can you make do with 8 GB?

If you can make do with 8 GB, I did suggest selling the 4GB stick and going with the first option since that gives you better performance.

I might be wrong though, I am no expert.

digibrush

digitalpainter
@ Mario Thanks for your responce.
I am also not sure how much ram I do really need.

I started with 64 mb of ram and photoshop 5.5 on a p3 600 Mhz system.
Last year I worked with 2 gb of ram and Photoshop cs3.

But now with Photoshop cs5 and 4 gb of Ram I noticed 85-90% memory taken sometimes when I worked with mutiple canvas. It also take greater part of memory when I worked with few application open.

once an application upgraded and its become more resource hungry.

So i am really not sure how much memory do i need.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
@ Mario Thanks for your responce.
I am also not sure how much ram I do really need.

I started with 64 mb of ram and photoshop 5.5 on a p3 600 Mhz system.
Last year I worked with 2 gb of ram and Photoshop cs3.

But now with Photoshop cs5 and 4 gb of Ram I noticed 85-90% memory taken sometimes when I worked with mutiple canvas. It also take greater part of memory when I worked with few application open.

once an application upgraded and its become more resource hungry.

So i am really not sure how much memory do i need.

Well dude, its your call, but if I were you..I did go for 2+2+2+2 GB.
Around 2-3 months back, I got a friend of mine a rig very similar to yours..Core i3 and 2x4 GB (8 GB total) DDR3 Dual channel.............

He is running Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit hosting an app server and a database server.....AND running VMWare with a Nix OS which is again hosting a web server and a database server....

His system response times are, to be honest, perky!!!

I do not claim virtualization compares to graphic rendering on memory usage terms, but I get really surprised every time I work on his rig!

On a side note, I have been looking for that 2x4GB pack everywhere but cant find it.. :x :x .....Seems like even I have to go his way and get it from Newegg! I am quite scared of online shopping!! :C_perplex: :C_perplex:

warlord1609

Right off the assembly line
sandy bridge pics!!!!!!!!

hello guys,
just thought i should upload some pics of my new processor (trying to act kool :cool: ) well check it out and give me your comments. btw no hard feelings tech lovers.
*picasaweb.google.com/bhargavkrishna16/SandyBridge

Last edited:
Top Bottom