Post your latest Purchase

vwad

In the zone
Don't the memory sticks have to be of same size to work in dual channel?
I mean both the modules should be of 2GB each or 1GB each or 4GB each.
You would have to find 2 3GB sticks which aint possible.You can have 3 2GB sticks running in a trichannel mode.

Yes, That was my doubt. Thanks for clearing it. :)

ssb1551

Technomancer
Don't go by my words only.I aint so sure about it.I just recollected a discussion I was having with a few of my friends on this.But I've forgotten most of the info.I've a very bad memory.

digibrush

digitalpainter
Don't the memory sticks have to be of same size to work in dual channel?
I mean both the modules should be of 2GB each or 1GB each or 4GB each.
You would have to find 2 3GB sticks which aint possible.You can have 3 2GB sticks running in a trichannel mode.

I want to know which is best 2+2+2 gb memory as trichannel mode or 2+2 as dual channel + single 4gb?

I am asking which performence is better, trichannel? or Duel channel + 4 gb?

ssb1551

Technomancer
Your latter option has 8GB of RAM whereas the former 1 has 6GB.So obviously the latter one will perform better coz of memory,ofcourse if you are using 64bit OS.
If the choice would have been between 2+2+2 & 1+1+4 then I would have gone for the former one.

digibrush

digitalpainter
I am wotking with photoshop, 3ds max, Poser. after reading this: The 8GB/64-bit advantage - More RAM doesn't always mean better performance | ZDNet

Accoring the their opinion "More RAM doesn't always mean better performance", But with photoshop their conclution is " Photoshop speed test clearly showed that the more RAM you have, the faster you get your work done."

So I decide to add more memory, but not sure which combination is best for me. I already have 2+2, If I add another 4, in future I will add another 4 gb which makes my total memory 12gb.

ssb1551

Technomancer
I know Jas.I was just talking about hypothetical situation where an app can use as much RAM as the system has.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
I am wotking with photoshop, 3ds max, Poser. after reading this: The 8GB/64-bit advantage - More RAM doesn't always mean better performance | ZDNet

Accoring the their opinion "More RAM doesn't always mean better performance", But with photoshop their conclution is " Photoshop speed test clearly showed that the more RAM you have, the faster you get your work done."

So I decide to add more memory, but not sure which combination is best for me. I already have 2+2, If I add another 4, in future I will add another 4 gb which makes my total memory 12gb.

No triple channel for you since your signature says Core i3, you have two options ->
a. Dual channel memory --> 2+2 OR 2+2 + 2+2 (you need to buy couple of 2 gb sticks, preferably same as the ones you already have) (the more perfectly matched they are, the better it is)
b. No dual channel memory --> 2+2 + 4 (+4).

The first option will give you more performance and speed, total memory of 8 GB
The second option will give you more memory space, 12 GB --> more application running simultaneously.

So, its up to you really...I dont know about Photoshop/Maya/3DMax/Matlab etc...

but are you going to run a lot of memory eating apps at the same time so much that you need 12 GB of memory space or can you make do with 8 GB?

If you can make do with 8 GB, I did suggest selling the 4GB stick and going with the first option since that gives you better performance.

I might be wrong though, I am no expert.

digibrush

digitalpainter
@ Mario Thanks for your responce.
I am also not sure how much ram I do really need.

I started with 64 mb of ram and photoshop 5.5 on a p3 600 Mhz system.
Last year I worked with 2 gb of ram and Photoshop cs3.

But now with Photoshop cs5 and 4 gb of Ram I noticed 85-90% memory taken sometimes when I worked with mutiple canvas. It also take greater part of memory when I worked with few application open.

once an application upgraded and its become more resource hungry.

So i am really not sure how much memory do i need.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
@ Mario Thanks for your responce.
I am also not sure how much ram I do really need.

I started with 64 mb of ram and photoshop 5.5 on a p3 600 Mhz system.
Last year I worked with 2 gb of ram and Photoshop cs3.

But now with Photoshop cs5 and 4 gb of Ram I noticed 85-90% memory taken sometimes when I worked with mutiple canvas. It also take greater part of memory when I worked with few application open.

once an application upgraded and its become more resource hungry.

So i am really not sure how much memory do i need.

Well dude, its your call, but if I were you..I did go for 2+2+2+2 GB.
Around 2-3 months back, I got a friend of mine a rig very similar to yours..Core i3 and 2x4 GB (8 GB total) DDR3 Dual channel.............

He is running Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit hosting an app server and a database server.....AND running VMWare with a Nix OS which is again hosting a web server and a database server....

His system response times are, to be honest, perky!!!

I do not claim virtualization compares to graphic rendering on memory usage terms, but I get really surprised every time I work on his rig!

On a side note, I have been looking for that 2x4GB pack everywhere but cant find it.. :x :x .....Seems like even I have to go his way and get it from Newegg! I am quite scared of online shopping!! :C_perplex: :C_perplex:

warlord1609

Right off the assembly line
sandy bridge pics!!!!!!!!

hello guys,
just thought i should upload some pics of my new processor (trying to act kool :cool: ) well check it out and give me your comments. btw no hard feelings tech lovers.
*picasaweb.google.com/bhargavkrishna16/SandyBridge

Last edited:

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Re: sandy bridge pics!!!!!!!!

hello guys,
just thought i should upload some pics of my new processor (trying to act kool :cool: ) well check it out and give me your comments. btw no hard feelings tech lovers.
Picasa Web Albums - bhargavkrishna16 - Sandy Bridge!...

Nice buy,congratulations!!

Please post the price of the individual components....
Also,what other processors were avalabl? Prices? Was 2600,2600K avlavl? If yes,at wat price? Did the 2500K include a heatsink in the boxpack?
Any other p67 mobo avlabl? Msi?Asus?

Sorry for so many questions,but I m sooo excited!!!

fatalcore

Journeyman
Re: sandy bridge pics!!!!!!!!

hello guys,
Picasa Web Albums - bhargavkrishna16 - Sandy Bridge!...

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:Congrats a lot bro...great purchase.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Guys, this year a lot of purchase from my side. Here is the list of things added in my arsenal:
1. Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz 2 X 2 GB DDR3 Kit @ 3K (2.9K + Vat)
2. Corsair CX400 @ 2.5K including Vat (for Vickybat)
3. AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 10.4K (10K + Vat) from Vedant.

Going to get new Asrock 890GX Extreme3 motherboard also.
There is a huge price drop for AMD processors and Rams in Kolkata. Will post the details today evening. Now Corsair 1333 MHz DDR3 2 GB value rams are available @ 1.025K and Phenom II X6 1055T @ 7.84K at Vedant Infotech in Kolkata

ssb1551

Technomancer
Awesome!!!:greedy:...
Hexacore within 8k!!I guess after Sandybridge is released the prices will come down further.

Top Bottom