Post your latest Purchase

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Is that a big difference among the CPU coolers for Quad core & Dual core on the temperature

Cooler master Hyper 212 does the job in dual core keeping temp lower than 40 ! when it comes to quad core considering powerful processors like corei7 , phenom 9XX , core 2 quad 9650 all the coolers are reducing temp only by 10 - 15 deg max from the stock coolers

corei7 stock temps are 60 - 65 in idle & 75 - 80 on Load is this an operating temperature ??? even with TRUE120 only reduced up to 50 max in IDLE .

My question is Do we need to bother much abt the temperature , it does not void warranty - then why we are bothering abt , it includes me to ???

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
My question is Do we need to bother much abt the temperature , it does not void warranty - then why we are bothering abt , it includes me to ???
Simple law of physics: higher the temperature, higher the resistance of metallic conductors. Therefore, any CPU running at a high temperature means higher resistance of the metallic interconnects of the millions of transistors on the silicon wafer. Naturally, that makes the run of electrons from one transistor to another slower. Consequently, the performance of the CPU is bound to take a hit! That is why we need to be concerned about efficient cooling of the CPU. That is also the same reason why CPUs of super-computers are cooled in liquid nitrogen! At least, that is what I understand.

I am too not aware about any warranty clause relating to the CPU temperature.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks guys.

@ asigh - Are you running your c2d 7400 OCed ? If so can you post the speed ?
Also do post your cpu's idle & load temps.

Am running my E7400 at around 2.99 Ghz with a low v-Core of 1.1V. (Approximate cannot remember the exact voltage). So it is a very very mild OC. Though I will OC it greater down the line. So busy with office, hardly get time to sit and OC the system.

Also the RAM is operating EPP at 1066Mhz -- 5-5-5-15. So the FSB is slightly quickened.

It idles at around 33C and loads to 41C. Load is being simulated using Prime 95 (2 worker threads for around 2 hours).

With the stock cooler I was hitting around 55C for idle and almost 95C+ during load for the same conditions. Because:

1. Intel Stock coolers are bad.
2. The default company thermal paste was bad.

Basically I went for the Hyper 212 cause I was really not satisfied with the Intel stock cooler, and planned to OC. If at idle I was getting such high temperatues, during OC I would have fried my chip.

Is that a big difference among the CPU coolers for Quad core & Dual core on the temperature

Cooler master Hyper 212 does the job in dual core keeping temp lower than 40 ! when it comes to quad core considering powerful processors like corei7 , phenom 9XX , core 2 quad 9650 all the coolers are reducing temp only by 10 - 15 deg max from the stock coolers

corei7 stock temps are 60 - 65 in idle & 75 - 80 on Load is this an operating temperature ??? even with TRUE120 only reduced up to 50 max in IDLE .

Yes we do need to bother about temperatures. If...

1. The user is going to heavily stress his system (games, video encoding).
2. The user is going to OC his system.
3. Computer Processors have millions of transistors inside them which obviously get extremely hot. If we keep them cooler we extend the life of the component.
4. There is a high probability of a part burn-out if constantly the chip is hitting high temperatures.
5. For all electrical components the hotter they get the higher their electrical resistance goes up. So a hotter CPU is less efficient than a cooler one. And while gaming, we want the maximum + a bit more out of our systems. Squeeze the maximum throughput peformance. That is why our systems hang. When the system (processor core) gets to hot, to protect 'itself' it does a auto - shutdown. The micro chip is intelligent enough to realize this.
6. India is relatively hot -- so our parts get hotter. :)
7. To sleep in peace -- knowing that the core is running cool and sweet.

Simple law of physics: higher the temperature, higher the resistance of metallic conductors. Therefore, any CPU running at a high temperature means higher resistance of the metallic interconnects of the millions of transistors on the silicon wafer. Naturally, that makes the run of electrons from one transistor to another slower. Consequently, the performance of the CPU is bound to take a hit! That is why we need to be concerned about efficient cooling of the CPU. That is also the same reason why CPUs of super-computers are cooled in liquid nitrogen! At least, that is what I understand.

I am too not aware about any warranty clause relating to the CPU temperature.

+1

Last edited:

rakz

Broken In
MOBO--Biostar TA790GX B
PROC--AMD PHENOM II X II 550 BE (3.1 GHZ x 2)
GFX---NVIDEA 8600 GT (256 MB GDDR 3)
HDD--WD 500 GB
RAM--TRANSCEND 2 GB 800 MHZ
SPKR--LOGITECH R20 5.1
MICROSOFT COMBO KEYBOARD & MOUSE
I BALL GAMERZ CABINET

TOTAL COST 20000 Rs.

Buyed On 4th July 09
From Vashi,New Bombay

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
^Very good purchase! Especially the processor. Congratulations. (belated)
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
To satisfy your curiosity, I am a nearly 60 year old youngman, still doing a little teaching and research. I just thought I should mention, lest you should be shocked if we really meet.

You sure have researched a lot for that beast of a rig you just bought! :D
Awesome config, i like the mobo you got a lot!

Last edited:

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
You sure have researched a lot for that beast of a rig you just bought! :D
Yes, I did that, rather, may be I over-did that! That's how I missed the bus when it came to picking up the monitor of my choie. I was too late by a couple of months!
^Very good purchase! Especially the processor. Congratulations. (belated)
Posted again:

Awesome config, i like the mobo you got a lot!
Thanks, mate, for the compliments! However, I got help, actually lots of it, mostly from topgear. Nevertheless, I am not perfect (who is?). That's why a simple miscalculation resulted in not choosing Corsair Dominator 1600 MHz DDR3. Darn!!

My system is still far from optimised, it'll be great to benchmark it after it is optimised in terms of OS, etc.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Better cooling means higher component life span & higher OCing. Higher ocing means better performance, more VFM & increased efficiency :p

10C reduced tempo means 25% increased component life time & many users will use their proc beyond 3yrs.

@ aisgh - good points on the need for a good cpu cooler :p

Buddy can you please help me some temp related issue in the Overheating problems thread
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29033&page=22

@ sjoardar- Nice explanation :p

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ rakz - congrats.......... :p

@ axxo - nice looking cabby & the price is just awesome ......... :p

Last edited:

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Better cooling means higher component life span & higher OCing. Higher ocing means better performance, more VFM & increased efficiency :p

10C reduced tempo means 25% increased component life time & many users will use their proc beyond 3yrs.

@ aisgh - good points on the need for a good cpu cooler :p

Buddy can you please help me some temp related issue in the Overheating problems thread
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29033&page=22

@ sjoardar- Nice explanation :p

I m now using two after market CPU coolers one is ASUS Silent knight (its new ) & cooler master Gemini 2 which is not good , i use phenom 2 940 which i totally tired of this overheating --- lets continue in the Overheating thread !!! :!::smile:

fatalcore

Journeyman
Hey buddy, you could not possibly have seen the original bill on 22 nd July, simply because the deal was closed (for most part anyway) on the 5th of August. What you probably saw was a copy of their quotation on my order. A lot of things (changes) have happened since then! You can get a hang of things if you follow the thread "Calcutta Hardware Vendor Feedback Forum" and see the prolonged exchanges myself and topgear had. It all started way back on 15th May, first continued till 19th May, then after a nearly 2 month break started again on 16th July (page eight).

In fact, 22nd July almost sounds like last year to me now! Vedant could not supply the GA-EX58-UD5 mobo and I had to switch to eVGA X58 3X SLI, and that cost me nearly 5K extra. I changed my mind and switched from GTX 285 to GTX 295, which again Vedant could not supply immediately, and I had to get it from ExodusPC; another bundle of nearly 7K extra! I also switched the choice of HDD from Seagate to WD but that, for a change, did not cost me anything extra.

It is only to-day that Vedant confirmed my order of Logitech MX5500 Revolution Laser Desktop (KB + Mouse), and I am going to pick it up on Wednesday. No news yet about a non-TN 24 inch LCD monitor within 30K and the Corsair Voyager GT 16 GB I had also ordered last month (last year?)!

You are very much welcome to my humble abode. The only possible problem is that it has to be on a Wednesday. That is the only day of the week that I am somewhat free. Most of the days I return home around 9 PM.

To satisfy your curiosity, I am a nearly 60 year old youngman, still doing a little teaching and research. I just thought I should mention, lest you should be shocked if we really meet.

Sir,Please accept my apology,
I have seen the quotation and not the original bill i accept my mistake.Please forgive me,But one thing for sure,u may be 60 or 600 years , but u really know to play game and a great choice.HAT'S OFF!!!:grin::smile:
The configure is awesome,and its according to vedant the best they made.As for me i would defininely wish to c your pc someday.
If u dont mind i would like to recomend u to purchaselogitech illuminated keyboard
*www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740&cl=us,en
and the MX revolution mouse, and this LCD *www.lge.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2253TQ-PF.jsp
i have the 18' wide and its good in style,as for ur 16GT please Try Mohit Electonics.
I guess these will bright up style with i7.

Once again please forgive me.
with best regards,
fatalcore:)

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Sir,Please accept my apology,
I have seen the quotation and not the original bill i accept my mistake.Please forgive me,But one thing for sure,u may be 60 or 600 years , but u really know to play game and a great choice.HAT'S OFF!!!:grin::smile:
The configure is awesome,and its according to vedant the best they made.As for me i would defininely wish to c your pc someday.
If u dont mind i would like to recomend u to purchaselogitech illuminated keyboard
*www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740&cl=us,en
and the MX revolution mouse, and this LCD *www.lge.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2253TQ-PF.jsp
i have the 18' wide and its good in style,as for ur 16GT please Try Mohit Electonics.
I guess these will bright up style with i7.

Once again please forgive me.
with best regards,
fatalcore:)
Thanks for the compliments friend. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I had lots of help from topgear. So I would say a large part of the credit goes to him. Thanks also to thunder02.dragon, my system set-up was completed in the comfort of my home with very good cable management. As people say, that's what friends are for!

BTW you didn't have to apologise so profusely, because your earlier comments meant no offence, and none was taken. I knew it was just kind of an oversight. That's nothing among friends.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding KB & mouse. I just checked them out on the net. They are a really cool pair. However, my choice - Logitech MX5500 Revolution - is a great combo too, and now that Vedant has already procured what I had ordered, I think I shall stick to it, although I am yet to bring them home.

Regarding Corsair Voyager GT 16 GB Pendrive, I shall try Mohit Electonics as suggested by you. I have found their current phone number on the net and I am going to call them tomorrow. I really appreciate your suggestions and advice.

Regarding the monitor, I am gunning for a 24 inch non-TN panel only. The only possible choice here I have now is Samsung SyncMaster 245T that Vedant say they may be able to import for me. I am waiting for a confirmation that warranty will be available for this monitor if imported by Vedant through Samsung India. I shall keep everybody posted.

BTW I am not really a hard-core gamer. My interest centres on computer aided molecular modelling, particularly, of large biological molecules. I am also trying to contribute in my small way to the Protein Folding project, which was my main research interest in the past. In addition, I am an advanced amateur photographer and am also heavily into image, video and audio processing as my past-time. So you could call me a graphics enthusiast, but not a graphics professional.

I also hope to meet you in future. If it is possible for topgear to join in, I shall be very happy to have him over too. However, I know it is asking too much of someone to spare a day on a week day. I am hoping that the situation may become easier for me after a few months. Let's see!

Meanwhile, I plan to utilise the time to complete my dream configuration and optimise it in terms of OS, device drivers, and OCing.

Last edited:

fatalcore

Journeyman
good evening,sir
The presence of topgear will be overwhelming .I will definitely meet u in future,but under one condition,"U CANNOT DISCUSS ANYTHING ABOUT BIOLOGY SUBJECT",it freeks me out,the spelling and pronunciation make me feel blue and have some terrible effect in my belly:-(.However i love all the other stuffs u do specially photography(ONLY VIEWING PLEASE,please don't any any question about it,u will be depressed;-)),Maybe topgear will help me around in those particular(Question session) cases.:)
Please Smile;-)
Sir,i don't know whether u have already purchased the OS,but if u allow me, i would like to post u a OS DVD ( Obviously copied one) as a tribute to ur i7 and a noble friendship.I hope u wont regret.
(***The last para applied for topgear and desiibond too)
and sir MX revolution ;-)......cant think anything beyond it,but for a change u may see this product,
*www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-mamba
for precision while designing.

with best regards,
fatalcore.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Samsung 2233SW Plus Rs. 9500/- All Inclusive. SP Road Bangalore. Most of the shops have the same rate.
DVI Cable - Rs. 200 /-

Last edited:
Top Bottom