Post your latest Purchase

icebags

Technomancer
purchased mintbook :

*i.imgur.com/UJ5mM9Y.jpg

few days ago @15.5k/- , & then reduced the price to 13.5k with some coupon.

( ACER es1-132 / celeron D N3350 processor / 2GB ram expandable by another 4GB DDR-L / 500GB HDD / 11.6" TN panel/ linux )

mini review :

features and pros:

# does not feel chep , but looks quite sturdy and well made.
# probably the cheapest laptop with HDD with is better than having 32GV on board flash. cpu is powerful enough for reading, coding browsing and all sorts of non heavy office works, and occasional youtube viewing.
# very light @ ~1.25kgs and small size 11.6" is very easy to carry around
# cheapest lappy to have an expandable ram feature, if 2GB feels lower.
# came with some weird command prompt linux installed, which, first thing i did was to get rid of it.
# nice multitouch big touch pad, which can be programmed for 1/2/3 finger detection and corner soft buttons.
# good battery life - with wifi and hdd on, and normal reading and stuff, it gives ~8hrs backup. the battery is ~36Wh, so on average it consumes ~5watts of energy. very green and good to carry around.
# good to use lightweight linux versions (xfce / lxde) which normally use 500-600Mb of ram.
# also has a ethernet port.
# fanless passive cooling design - there is no fan for cooling in it !!!!! the celeron processor consumes ~a little more power than atom processors, but has higher clock speed. so, unless you make it busy, it really consumes very little power. idles at @40-55 degrees. movie watch with local files (720p) ~55-60degrees, but youtube really pushes it a bit high @~64-68 degrees with cpu usage ~40-50% with 720p videos.

cons:
# even though it was a linux laptop, and i purchased it to use with Mint XFCE (light version), installing any linux on it was tad difficult. it just refused to boot into int installed linux. at one point i thought of returning it, but after searching a lot, got an workaround to copy mint boot files from installer pendrive to hdd boot drive. guess they did made this to work only with windows 10, or whatever.
# TN panel was a bit letdown, when cheaper atombooks come with ips panels.
# SD card slot only accepts the card halfway, remaining half of the card just sticks out. so much to my idea of leaving the bootable sd card into the slot and keeping the hdd on sleep most of the time. that would have gave another hour of more battery backup.
# home & end keys are usable by only Fn key, they are normally page up/down keys. i always use home and End keys, so reconfigured they keymap to reverse the role of Fn key.
# because of fanless design, it's better not to let the cpu temps too high, so just need to watch out there. i just put it's rear side on top of a a book / paper, to have air / ventilation below.

lastly, loving this atm, hopefully it will last long.

Last edited:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Ordered it From GearBest(dot)com....Paid via my SBI / ICICI Debit Card under Paypal Blanket....No Custom Issue / No Hassle if you choose the Priority Line Shipment which is 'India Express' OR 'India Express For E-Commerce'. <----This is Very Very Important.
So no customs charges? That's great. Is India Express is available with Aliexpress?

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Ordered SJCAM 7 Star from Gearbest.com @137.99$
SJCAM LEGEND 7 STAR.PNG

dissel

Cyborg Agent
So no customs charges? That's great. Is India Express is available with Aliexpress?

Great you order one - Now it is the at best price, Always use priority line shipment else you hit with customs....I order many things after that all arrived safely.

Two things to remember when using Gearbest

1. China Warehouse
2. Priority Line

You are good to go....Once they picked up within 10 Days you will have your product at yours home.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Great you order one - Now it is the at best price, Always use priority line shipment else you hit with customs....I order many things after that all arrived safely.

Two things to remember when using Gearbest

1. China Warehouse
2. Priority Line

You are good to go....Once they picked up within 10 Days you will have your product at yours home.
I should thank you. Actually login on TDF after so long time and while checking the recent purchase saw your post. I was looking for Action cam from long time and the deal looks tempting so ordered immediately. Thanks buddy.

And good news they shipped the package today. :D

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Well....I may share here what else I bought so far from GB to date - If others may find something interesting.
All are shipped without any hassle and delivered safe and sound.

Some Mounts For Action Cam

*i.imgur.com/kLis51Mh.png

Some Electronics Goods

*i.imgur.com/weJnKf3h.png

*i.imgur.com/R8GWaOHh.png

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Well....I may share here what else I bought so far from GB to date - If others may find something interesting.
All are shipped without any hassle and delivered safe and sound.

Some Mounts For Action Cam

*i.imgur.com/kLis51Mh.png

Some Electronics Goods

*i.imgur.com/weJnKf3h.png

*i.imgur.com/R8GWaOHh.png
Is cod option available on aliexpress?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
@dissel I am unable to order this item for the SJCAM dunno why!!

I asked the same question as I required one to someone who is much more experienced than me and direct contact with GB, According to him Govt Of India Ban Individual on importing 'Battery Only Product' but there is no ban on 'Item with Battery'....which is ridiculous.

I doubt other Chinese websites will ship it here or not.....If you find one please let me know.

Only option to get SJ7 Star spare battery via Official SJCAM Importer in India..which is 'BrainFreezer' seller at Amazon IN...but price is much much higher of course.

icebags

Technomancer
ya, dont import a battery, it will probably be held at customs. and dont ever import a drone. you will be summoned and life will become hell.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Could you post the experience, even if it's not yours ? Perhaps a link?

A friend of mine once ordered a gym powder for around 2500. It was stopped at customs and he was told to pay 5000 as custom duty. This happened many years back. These days, thanks to the widespread reach of the internet and the ecommerce companies it has become less of a hassle.

icebags

Technomancer
there are such horror stories. a while ago i read in newspaper, an nri scholar sent his school teacher dad a drone from abroad, as a gift for his school. so that the students get to know these new tech stuff etc. that parcel was addressed to his father, and when it arrived at customs, they called the father asking written show cause, on why he is importing a banned stuff from abroad. it was seized, but he had to attend the officials multiple times to clarify why it was there. i think it was one of those phantom type bigger drone, whatever.

and some more internet material:

Seven high-tech drones worth 1.2crore seized - Times of India
Over 150 drones, remote controlled helicopters gathering dust at Delhi airports customs warehouse

if you want a drone, just purchase locally and fly only in your private place or somewhere where you have permission, or may be somewhere where no one is bothered about it, like the playground in your locality, may be if no one objects.

What if its a small drone? The kind of one which is used at functions.
check out the above links, then search and read dgca drone regulation guidelines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom