Point and shoot within 30k

angie

At last the devil is here
Hi,

I am looking to buy a P&S preferably with RAW support. My budget is 30k max with 25k ideal. Any brand goes.
I think 1080p video recording is pretty standard in any cam these day, so it goes without saying that is must. 60 fps would be better.

I will be using the camera primarily for taking family pictures etc. As per my needs, I figured that going for a low end DSLR (within my budget) doesn't make sense + its very cumbersome to carry it during trips. A few of my friends have Nikon D5100 now replaced by D5200 which costs around 33k with 18-55 mm lens).

Is is advisable to spend 30k on a point and shoot?
Can a P&S provide similar performance to D5200?

I read that P&S models get outdated frequently as new models keep getting launched. It won't be a concern for me as I am not looking sell the camera in the future.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
I think 1080p video recording is pretty standard in any cam these day, so it goes without saying that is must. 60 fps would be better.

I will be using the camera primarily for taking family pictures etc. As per my needs, I figured that going for a low end DSLR (within my budget) doesn't make sense + its very cumbersome to carry it during trips.

this is the reason Canon 1200D is not good for you :)

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Get a Sony NEX3/5 mirror less. DSLR like quality and excellent video with a option to change lens and now even have 3rd party lens support.

OP
angie

angie

Get a Sony NEX3/5 mirror less. DSLR like quality and excellent video with a option to change lens and now even have 3rd party lens support.
I can go for mirrorless. Its not exactly pocketable but still it can work for me. The NEX series is scrapped though. Do you know which model in the alpha series succeeded NEX3/5? I tried looking quite a bit but was unable to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever seen Vlogs on youtube. They use the screen to see what they looks like and how is video doing. One word of advice check out mkbhd video review of this camera.
Ever seen vlogs? Who hasn't in this world. Did you take my reply as offensive?

If you meant that the lcd is on a hinge and can be moved in orientation by 'maneuver of display', that is only in RX100 II which is 10k more expensive and doesn't seem worth it.

Just checked the mkbhd video review. Does he even know about cameras technically?
I have checked some from 'tested' and other sources and you should too before recommending someone the one from mkbhd.

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
I can go for mirrorless. Its not exactly pocketable but still it can work for me. The NEX series is scrapped though. Do you know which model in the alpha series succeeded NEX3/5? I tried looking quite a bit but was unable to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever seen vlogs? Who hasn't in this world. Did you take my reply as offensive?

If you meant that the lcd is on a hinge and can be moved in orientation by 'maneuver of display', that is only in RX100 II which is 10k more expensive and doesn't seem worth it.

Just checked the mkbhd video review. Does he even know about cameras technically?
I have checked some from 'tested' and other sources and you should too before recommending someone the one from mkbhd.

The image quality and portability is great when you see it for the price paid. If you are not looking to spend 35k then mirrorless camera would be good. And that ever seen vlog was just a reference statement.

OP
angie

angie

this is the reason Canon 1200D is not good for you :)

I wasn't knowing about Mirrorless cameras. After that "discovery", its some mirrorless model vs Sony Rx100 for me at the moment.
Also looked at fuji x20 reviews. Inspite of being mirrorless, it has smaller sensor 2/3 inch vs 1inch of sony rx100 and has much more grain at lower isos. So low light performance will be an issue. I don't like grainy pics personally, the reviewer said its ok to have some grain.

Upadhyay

Broken In
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 is a good option

you can see the detailed specs here

*www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/869238-REG/Sony_DSC_RX100_Digital_Camera.html

OP
angie

angie

Is it safe to buy Sony Rx100 from ebay.in? Priced at 25k approx. Listing here.
Should I check anything with seller before buying? I am thinking of going with Rx100.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Is it safe to buy Sony Rx100 from ebay.in? Priced at 25k approx. Listing here.
Should I check anything with seller before buying? I am thinking of going with Rx100.
A BIG "NO". Better check this seller, his ratings is good.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
hmm...i'm also thinking of getting into photography but don't want to carry bulky dslr's and lenses all the time. The RX100 M2 looks nice, specially with wifi and nfc.

OP
angie

angie

A BIG "NO". Better check this seller, his ratings is good.

Thanks for taking the time out and posting the link. Cheers man...!

- - - Updated - - -

hmm...i'm also thinking of getting into photography but don't want to carry bulky dslr's and lenses all the time. The RX100 M2 looks nice, specially with wifi and nfc.

If you want to get into photography, check mirrorless cameras too. they have DSLR like sensors and size is lesser than DSLRs.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Rx100 can produce nice pics but it have its restrictions..it may take nice portraits and landscapes but not birding or macro or wirelessly flashing etc..

M4/3 have mainly advantage in weight..but its still not as good as dslr in low light..and it dont have soo many lens choices

$hadow

Geek in making
Rx100 can produce nice pics but it have its restrictions..it may take nice portraits and landscapes but not birding or macro or wirelessly flashing etc..

M4/3 have mainly advantage in weight..but its still not as good as dslr in low light..and it dont have soo many lens choices

What's your view on low light photography of RX100

sujoyp

Grand Master
RX100 have bulbmode and 30sec exposure ...soo If u put it on tripod and shoot landscape it will work nicely
But if are asking about low light handheld shots then I think you wont be able to go too high ISO and tele end is f4.9 which is too slow...it will be worse then a DSLR+kit lens..but ultimately produce much better result then any P&S ...remember its worlds best P&S only.

Top Bottom