PM Modi announces all-India lockdown over Covid-19, will be in place for 21 days

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Source: PM Modi announces all-India lockdown over Covid-19, will be in place for 21 days
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced complete lockdown of the entire country, as part of government’s stringent efforts to tackle coronavirus disease Covid-19.

“Today, I am going to announce a very important measure in our fight against Covid-19. The entire country will be under lockdown from today. The complete lockdown will come into effect from midnight tonight,” PM Modi said in his address to the nation.

This lockdown will be in place for 21 days, he added.

This is the second time in a week when he addressed the country on the fast-spreading disease with flu-like symptoms that has infected more than 3.5 lakh people and killed over 16,000.

In a television address last Thursday, PM Modi had highlighted the threat posed by the Sars-Cov-2 virus, which causes Covid-19 disease, and appealed to people to practise social distancing and work from home.

He had also asked Indians to observe ‘Janta Curfew’, a self-imposed restraint measure to keep themselves and others in the society safe.

The Janta Curfew was in place for 14 hours on Sunday - from 7 am to 9 pm. And, as advised by the Prime Minister, people stayed off the roads and public places during this period.

PM Modi had also apprised the nation of an emergency task force to mitigate the economic challenges stemming from the crisis.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
So does that mean everything will be closed for 21 days? Will this be 24 hours? If so, how do we get food, medicines, etc if needed?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes but there will be exempted categories of services. If you have checked amazon app you will see a banner showing only essential items are available for purchase from now on so I am guessing that ecomm delivery will be incl in exempted services & they will deliver only essential items like groceries & medical supplies.

upload_2020-3-24_23-36-2.png

quicky008

Technomancer
how long will this phase last?Will this situation truly ever be resolved as long as a cure for the disease isn't invented?

No matter how much people are forced to live in isolation,without a definite cure this whole crisis has the potential to re-emerge at any given time.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
how long will this phase last?Will this situation truly ever be resolved as long as a cure for the disease isn't invented?

No matter how much people are forced to live in isolation,without a definite cure this whole crisis has the potential to re-emerge at any given time.
Biological evolution principle,by next year a majority of human population will have developed immunity towards this virus making it no different than any common cold in future.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
On the contrary, I think services like swiggy will go on overdrive on other countries. Many restaurants are opting to only provide food on delivery and closed the dine-in.
India could also follow suite.

Food is an essential commodity and blocking it will really throw lot of people who don't live with families.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So does that mean everything will be closed for 21 days? Will this be 24 hours? If so, how do we get food, medicines, etc if needed?
Its not a curfew, but a lockdown. If you are reasonable requirement for food/medicine, you would need to prove that to the police that may try to block your path.

Although, I have seen footage of police taking it more seriously and charging lathis to the people who are going outside, so go at your own risk. :p

For medicines, it would help if you have the doctor's prescription ready to show, if you have one.

Also, I heard that essential things like food will also be delivered through government vehicles, but I am not sure about that one.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
One more thing will be open : Banks/ATMs
But no credit is given to this community despite providing service at such crucial time.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, since currencies are one of the best mode to transfer virus, it's better to stick to online modes of payment if you can.
Or don't ask for change. xD

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Well, since currencies are one of the best mode to transfer virus, it's better to stick to online modes of payment if you can.
Or don't ask for change. xD

which is even more dangerous environment for a bank cashier/teller to work in , gloves stop you from counting notes. So they are left with no option then to touch it with their bare hands. Machines are good when you count large number of notes but retail withdrawals are typically in between 1000 to 25000 & if you think that people are not coming to bank branches for withdrawals and sticking to online payments then you’re mistaken. In fact, the rush has increased in many places and people are withdrawing cash even more to keep their pockets full.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Vyom don't mean to be pessimistic but very low chances of swiggy/zomato working during this period. You are forgetting that restaurants need workers to commute from their homes without public transport & not everyone has a pvt vehicle/can afford fuel cost. May be a few restaurants can manage but majority can't. No other way now,either eat pre-cooked food or eat maggi. :p

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
which is even more dangerous environment for a bank cashier/teller to work in , gloves stop you from counting notes. So they are left with no option then to touch it with their bare hands. Machines are good when you count large number of notes but retail withdrawals are typically in between 1000 to 25000 & if you think that people are not coming to bank branches for withdrawals and sticking to online payments then you’re mistaken. In fact, the rush has increased in many places and people are withdrawing cash even more to keep their pockets full.
As long as you don't touch your face/eyes/nose/mouth,it should be fine. Just wash your hands as per guidelines once the work is over/before eating lunch. I thought people would prefer ATMs now that withdrawal charges have been removed.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
As long as you don't touch your face/eyes/nose/mouth,it should be fine. Just wash your hands as per guidelines once the work is over/before eating lunch. I thought people would prefer ATMs now that withdrawal charges have been removed.

Its very easy to read these instructions but to implement it at a public place with full precision is very hard . there will be that one moment or touch to your face/eye/nose inadvertently .
ATMs get their cash from banks. The staff at currency chests which provide this cash are exposed to this risk every time.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@Vyom don't mean to be pessimistic but very low chances of swiggy/zomato working during this period. You are forgetting that restaurants need workers to commute from their homes without public transport & not everyone has a pvt vehicle/can afford fuel cost. May be a few restaurants can manage but majority can't. No other way now,either eat pre-cooked food or eat maggi. :p
Just checked both Swiggy, Zomato and all restaurants are closed except the 2-3 which are running at homes in my society. Good thing I know how to cook for myself. :D

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Seriously?? Which bank/area is this? Also what exactly they all were holding in their hands,chq for deposit/withdrawal.

the bank is sbi , not sure about the area although its highly likely that its a semi urban/ rural branch. The books are passbooks and the papers are withdrawal forms. its a very recent video as no other time did an employee wore masks and gloves in bank. Ppl are withdrawing cash a lot mainly coz atms might’ve dried up or account holder wouldn’t know how to operate or is hesitant or would want smaller notes which are not available in an atm

Top Bottom