Plzzz...I don't like RESTARTS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

detj2004

Broken In
I don't kno frm when this weird bug is bugging me...
I hav a DVD drive and a CD-RW drive on the Secondary Channel (IDE)
The Primary Channel has the HDD only
Primary Master -->HDD
Primary Slave --> None
Secondary Master --> DVD ROM
Secondary Slave --> CD Writer

Its a LG DVD ROM drive and Samsung CD-RW drive (with no tray probs!!)

Most of the time whenever I put any media on to n e of the drive the comp restarts without any warning! I've tried formatting my HDD many times, tried all the possible Master/Slave settings on my Drives, changed the IDE Cables and done almost everything I could think!!

But, I give up...I'm fed-up frm these restarts everytime I put the CDs and DVDs. Its really annoying wen u r doing something important
Oh! I'm using Windows XP Pro

Thanx in advance!

champ_rock

champ_rock
if xp gives a warning that xp is shutting in 1 minutes or so and the timer starts then u can do this.........

go to run> type "shutdown -a" and press enter...... the countdown will go off and u can continue

OP
D

detj2004

Broken In
I don't get n e warnings and I think the restart is not triggered by any part of the OS. The problem is at the hardware level or BIOS, but I've checked all my settings
Still I can't get it...

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Jumpers

Did You check the jumper pin settings of your CD DVD drives to be master and slave.
If that doesnt works ,try figure out what is the exact drive that creates you problem and hand it for a good service.
I think some CD drives has this problem as i has to lost my CD ROM drive due to a similar problem

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Jumpers

Did You check the jumper pin settings of your CD DVD drives to be master and slave.
If that doesnt works ,try figure out what is the exact drive that creates you problem and hand it for a good service.
I think some CD drives has this problem as i has to lost my CD ROM drive due to a similar problem

OP
D

detj2004

Broken In
OK! Here it is...don't laugh...ppl do hav old computers!!

Hardware:
650 MHz Pentium III
100MHz FSB
128 MB SDRAM (133 MHz)
IDE Interface
Intel Chipset 810 Motherboard
LG DVD-ROM Drive GDR-8163B
Samsung CD-RW Drive SW - 252F (2MB Buffer)

The Computer is a branded one
Model : HCL Busybee 2000
Date of Purchase : 17 August 2000

Software:
Two Logical partitions on the HDD
Runnning Windows XP with SP2
No softwares in the background except Y! Mssngr!

Drive Connexions:
Primary Master : HDD
Primary Slave : None
Secondary Master : DVD-ROM Drive
Secondary Slave : CD-RW Drive

I hav tried all possible settings by changing the jumper of the drives, but no use!!
Even installed latest ASPI Drivers

There's one cause as I'm thinking of now...
My UPS has grown old, I think whenever I put any media on any of the drives, the drive sucks power instantly which my UPS cannot supply therefore there's a short delay of supply or some kind of fluctuation due to which the system restarts.
I think this reasoning fits well, as UPS is the only part of the system that can get degeraded slowly!
I had used both the drive simultaneosly many times earlier when the UPS was much powerful!

What do u think? Huh?

theraven

Technomancer
why dont u just directly connect it and then tell us if it worked instead of askin ?
unless ur waiting for someone to visit u and do it for u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom