Please suggest configuration for a Sim racing computer

pegasus1990

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:The setup would be for sim racing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:1 lakh. Ready to stretch a bit more.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Win 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:Only the files pertaining to the sims are to be stored. At the maximum I believe I would be running 2-3 separate sims.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Triples-minimum 22'' maximum 24''

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Everything has to be bought

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:Within a month or sooner

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:I will be building it

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:I stay at Coimbatore.Ready for both.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Would like to share what I have in mind as of now :

Motherboard- AS Rock Z87 Extreme 4

CPU- Intel i5 4670k or 3570k

Graphics card - Radeon R9 290/ R9 280x

Ram- Ripjaws 2*4 GB

SSD-Samsung 128 GB Evo

Monitors- 3* Dell S2240L

Cabinet-Corsair Carbide 400R (or similar in the same neighbourhood)

Optical Drive- Undecided

HDD-I have a 1 TB external which I thought I would substitute

PSU- Undecided

Cooler & fans-Undecided

If my calculations are correct a setup with these configuration should cost around 1.25 Lakhs.

All suggestions welcome.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
For starter ditch i5 3570k [ this cpu is not even compatible with Z87 motherbaord :D ].
For ODD get any Samsung or LG DVD drive or if you prefer BR drives let us know.
For Cooler get CM Hyper 212 EVO - minimum and get some Cm sickleflow / xtraflo fans.
PSU : CM V700 @ 10.8k [ a solid 700W PSU ]

OP
P

pegasus1990

Broken In
For starter ditch i5 3570k [ this cpu is not even compatible with Z87 motherbaord :D ].
For ODD get any Samsung or LG DVD drive or if you prefer BR drives let us know.
For Cooler get CM Hyper 212 EVO - minimum and get some Cm sickleflow / xtraflo fans.
PSU : CM V700 @ 10.8k [ a solid 700W PSU ]

3570k is certainly out of the question then.

I just need a optical drive. As far as fans are concerned how many should be a safe bet?

And how do the other specs look?

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Intel i5 4570k @16500

Gigabyte Z87-D3HP @11500

CM Hyper 212 evo @2200

Kingston Hyper X blue 4Gb x 2 @4800

Seasonic s12 620w @5400

Sapphire R9 280x 3Gb DDR5 @24000

Samsung 128 GB Evo @7500

Wd Cavier black 1Tb @6500

Asus 24B5ST dvd @ 1100

Corsair 400r/230T/Cm Haf 912 Cabinet @ 5500

Dell S2240L 21.5 inch Led X3 @ 26,400

Total @ 1,11,400

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
EDITED Accordingly:

Intel Core i5 4670k -16500,

Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H -8800,

Zotac GTX 760 2GB AMP -21000, (Now this is equivalent to R9 280X with its new drivers)

Coolermaster 140mm 3 BC RED LED fans -2100, (These are for top 140mm x2 and bottom 140mm x1)

Coolermaster 120mm 2 BC RED LED fan -1200, (These are for H60 Push-Pull Setup)

Samsung 840 EVO 128GB -7500,

WD Caviar Black 1TB -6500,

Corsair H60 -4500,

Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -5300,

Corsair 230T Cabinet -5500, (Will be available from Dec,2013)(Comes equipped with front LED fans 120mm x2)

Corsair RM550 -7500,

APC 1100VA UPS -5400,

Asus 24B5ST DVD-RW -1300,

Dell S2240L 22" LED IPS -8900 x3 -.26700

TOTAL -1,14,500.

OP
P

pegasus1990

Broken In
@ashish65 and @bavusani

Thanks a lot for your replies. I have a few queries:

1. The motherboards that have been suggested, would there be any marked reduction in performance as compared to the Asrock extreme4 ? Also are they overclock stable?

2.Given the reviews that the R9 290 is receiving, I am very much tempted to get it. Would this be advisable to the Gtx 760,770 or R9 280x?

3. I have a APC 600 VA. Would this be able to support the setup? I remember seeing some video where a geek had connected two UPS's to his system. Maybe if one UPS is not enough I can get one more 600 VA?

4. Are there any other monitors within same price range of Asus or BenQ worth considering?

5. I plan to only keep the OS and sim installation files along with other bare necessary software in the SSD. So is a HDD necessary? I really don't think I would store much stuff if at all at the HDD.

OP
P

pegasus1990

Broken In
Hello everyone

Just wanted to update

So I have ordered the following components following suggestions from ashish and bavusani

Intel Core i5 4670k

Gigabyte Z87-D3HP

Kingston Hyper X blue 4Gb x 2

Seasonic s12 620w

Samsung 128 GB Evo

Wd Cavier blue 1Tb

Cm Haf 912

Deepcool Neptwin ( Could not get the evo and while searching around found many good reviews for this product, apparently the product is not much known primarily because of its bad or lack of distribution in US)

Asus DRW-24D3ST

Dell S2240L 21.5 inch Led X3

Cooler master fans( 140 and 120 mm)

Yet to order the graphics card. The 280x is unavailable at the moment wherever I asked. MD comp reckons it will take about 10-15 days. Golccha says it will take about a week, ditto with IT depot and few more. Got frantic and seriously considered the 290. Then luckily found out that one of my acquaintances in the US is coming in 15 days. So I have contacted him and would mostly be getting the 290x plus aftermarket cooler through him. Or at the least go for a 290 plus cooler.

BTW, is there any way to make sure I don't get a card with coil whine? By what I understand there's no way to predict which card will or will not have it. And anyway a card being supported by a new PSU with ghetto cooling I should be able avoid it?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
both are almost neck to neck [ performance wise ] but sticking with a custom cooled R9 290 makes more sense.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
both are almost neck to neck [ performance wise ] but sticking with a custom cooled R9 290 makes more sense.

i recommend 290+ custom cooler.
EVGA , i think, provides global warranty also. But i dont know who handles the rma of evga card here in india.

OP
P

pegasus1990

Broken In
Thanks for the replies

I still haven't placed the order..my friend is a bit scared that he will get caught in customs..after reading threads here I found out that if it is made out to be used, i.e, taken out box etc it will not be a problem..i have conveyed the same to him but don't know whether he will accept

Losing deals at newegg on a daily basis...2 days back saphire 290x was going for 499 which meant with cooler i could have closed the deal for 550 but that's gone. Now the 290 is out of stock. So looks like if he agrees it has got to be the 780 or else back to plan 1 and get 280x from India.

OP
P

pegasus1990

Broken In
Change of plans :)

Decided to stick with 280x and use the rest for buying a good UPS. I reminded myself that if need be I can always crossfire later and anyways I am not going to be playing too many graphic intensive games. So that's about it.

All the items have arrived. Just have to wait for the card. Hopefully it will come by tuesday. Now the excruciating wait :)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

Decided to stick with 280x and use the rest for buying a good UPS. I reminded myself that if need be I can always crossfire later and anyways I am not going to be playing too many graphic intensive games. So that's about it.

All the items have arrived. Just have to wait for the card. Hopefully it will come by tuesday. Now the excruciating wait :)

post snaps ;)

Congrats :) Do post pics of cable management :)

OP
P

pegasus1990

Broken In
So I have been searching around for information on buying pure sinewave UPS. I must say I am shocked at the lack of info on this from even the most credible sites. Even if they do have info, its so less. I mean even in western countries with uninterrupted power they are also quite likely to face brownouts and any 80 plus bronze and above PSU does not respond well to that.

Second, when it comes to the product itself, as far as the rates and everything goes, its mostly not listed or is listed in too few sites. The simulated/stepped up 1000 va are in existence but not the pure sinewave. I mean one can buy a super high end PC for all he cares but if he does not give it the most optimal power would that not hurt the system?

Anyways I just visited the dealer in my city and the rates quoted for the pure sinewave are 12.5 plus external battery for 5500(exide or amaron). The internal battery model goes for around 20 k but gives only 5 mins backup.

I am quite the noob when it comes to computer knowledge but from whatever I have read any PSU above 5k with a bronze plus ratings performs best when given sinewave. I feel a sticky in this regard would benefit many. Or maybe its already there and I havent seen it?

Top Bottom