Please help me install adobe reader/real player

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhru_banerjee

Right off the assembly line
I have a peculiar prob. I have a p4 1.7GHz 384MB ram PC with win xp nd win98 running in 2 partitions. Recently i'm facing the following probs in my win 98:
1. when i rt. clk in any link in my IE6 window and select open in new window - it fail to opn. A blank window appears but address bar remain blank.- same thing happens with digit dvd/cd - when i click the view/install button - a blank window opens only but nothing happens.

2. adobe reader 5 was running fine. when i try to install adobe reader 6 - it does not install.- now I dont have adobe at all.

3.RealOne player was running fine - when I downloaded Realplayer10 and tried to install it - it first shows - uninstall component missing-old version can not be deleted. Add remove programme says the same thing about real player. when I manually deleted the folders and tried to install the new versions - it copies all files- places a desktop icon- but on clking the desktop icon noting happens . so now i dont have real player too.

It seems the problem started after I installed and then removed some software - i forgot whichone.

can any body help pl.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Merijn himself said:
HijackThis : A general homepage hijackers detector and remover. Initially based on the article Hijacked!, but expanded with almost a dozen other checks against hijacker tricks. It is continually updated to detect and remove new hijacks. It does not target specific programs/URLs, just the methods used by hijackers to force you onto their sites. As a result, false positives are imminent and unless you are sure what you're doing, you should always consult with knowledgable folks (e.g. the forums) before deleting anything.

ice

In the zone
if ur having these problems in win98, please shift to xp.. Maybe cuz 98 is old and needs to be retired.

ice

In the zone
Hmm, u should probably try registry cleaning [system mechanic, regvac]

Then remove the dead add remove entries[ system mech.]
And finally reinstall the software.

While ur at it, please scan for spyware, just incase u dont usually do that,

besta luck.

swatkat

Technomancer
i think u are having Win 98 First Edition,so the softwares are not installing.
For viewing Digit CD/DVDs u should have latest Flash Player and DivX codecs.

OP
D

dhru_banerjee

Right off the assembly line
thanks all of u,for your kind atention. Pl. note
1. I am using win98 SE. I can run digit cd/dvd fine but the problem starts when i clk. the view/install button on a software/movie link. a blank window of IE opens and nothing happens. I have flash player and latest divx codecs. they are running fine.

2. Recently when I tried to install Norton Sys works - it gives an error message " VISUAL C++ runtime error! Unexpected programme termination.

3. Blaze media pro generated error no:2605 while installing, and terminated.

I am at my wits end. Please help.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
a few things to check

- delete temp folder
- run msconfig command and remove unnecessary programs from start up
- try repair installation of ie 6 from add remove programs and choosing repair . else update to ie 6 sp1
- u seem to have a lot of unsuccessful installations . try reinstalling older version of real player and uninstalling it and then install the new version . make sure u restart the system after each install/uninstall
- run sfc command and restore files if asked for
- are u running an antivirus s/w ? if u dont suspect a virus in ur system , try disabling antivirus while installing stuff
- do u get any CAB file errors while installing software ?? try running scandisk in thorough for ur windows drive
- u have mentioned 384 mb ram , are they the same make and speed ?

do tell what the results are and how u fixed it when u do .

a few tips , dont try to update to new version of anything as soon as u get it , try keeping win98 a little outdated , but functional in most cases . use xp for all the updated and flashy apps . as far as possible dont try to delete files and choose the uninstall option . try opera , u will love it , i open up 20 pages at a time at lightning speed in my old pc and it holds well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom