PlayStation 4 is "Essentially a PC" in Terms of Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
So the ps4 will be sporting hardware similar to pc's. This time it will do away from broadband cpu's like cell and rely on a conventional x86 cpu. Amd is confirmed to be working on the gpu tech and most probably, it will be based on GCN.

Without an os abstraction as with consoles, expect this to give jaw dropping visuals as seen on pc and really be next gen. Experts say development will be far easier and harnessing the console's full potential will be easier than its previous iterations.

Everything is confirmed to be unveiled in this year's E3.

Source

Sarath

iDota
Interesting. I hope they delay the PS4 for a while ;) just got my PS3 a year back

But I think the successive generation will be the one to wait with bated breath, by then 4k resolutions might kick up.

It will be interesting to see how things shape up then.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Amd is also working on the cpu with sony.:razz:

What ibm did for ps3, amd will do the same for ps4. Atleast it looks like this now.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only concerned about quality PC ports. Hope the scenario will improve.

And what the CPU will be, Piledriver based, or something different?

Sarath

iDota
You mean PC to Console ports or Console to PC ports.

I will till then assume you are refering to the current scenario of Xbox to PS3 porting and then from Console to PC porting.

Pity the monster called gaming PC :))

Damn! :x

gameranand

Living to Play
When ps3 was released it was very fast but then after these years its nothing compared to modern high end pc. So its obvious that ps4 would be comparable or faster than modern day pc.

Sarath

iDota
It's never about speed. It's the games.

Xbox trumped PS3 with a (little) inferior hardware due to it's software catalogue.

Of course your point is pretty valid in itself.

But the above given reason is why Sony shifted back to x86 despite Sony having recently bought the entire Cell factory from Toshiba and much before IBM. Quite a turn around from what was rumoured.

I hope it doesn't cost 50k again though :))

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Only concerned about quality PC ports. Hope the scenario will improve.

And what the CPU will be, Piledriver based, or something different?

Not sure mate. Maybe piledriver or something customized specially for the ps4.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
It's never about speed. It's the games.

Xbox trumped PS3 with a (little) inferior hardware due to it's software catalogue.

Exactly why PS3 sales have boosted now vs. X360? :razz:

You could interpret this as a sign that everyone owns an X360. I need a media centre more than a console, so I have a PS3, not to mention the better exclusives. not to mention I find the X360 to be puny.

Last edited:

Sarath

iDota
I have umm the PS3 already so no needs of backward compatibility

Plus it might push the price north

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yup. It better to move on to new things rather than stick around for backward titles.
With new ip's and franchises, people tend to forget old gen titles. Then again, old gems always have a chance of getting digitally remastered for next gen hardware.

This gen we've seen lots of these in form of "God of war collection", "Ico & Shadow of the colossus" and so on. So its no big deal imo.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I like compatibility. I was sad that my PS3 cant support PS2 games (i wanted to play syphon filter's PS2 titles).

AMD should also add X86_64 extensions so that memory wont be a limitation.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
The advantage of this will be:
1. The console will be massively cheaper to produce.
2. It will be easier to develop games for it

Both are the points which really held PS3 back the last time around.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Didn't the phat one have the emotion engine or in other words PS2 compatibility?

No. Only the first 20,40,60 GB had true compatibility (lasted 1.5 years). After that the 80GB removed some some compatibility due to partial emulation. my model (160GB) and the later 80GB models did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom