Planning to create an app for iPhone/iPad

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
Hi guys,

I'm planning to make an app for iPhone and iPad. What all are the things I need to create it? Can I create it in Windows? or Do I need to buy a new MacBook? If I need to buy an Mac, what all are softwares we require to build an app? Is it available for free or how much it would cost?

After creating, how to send it to App Store? What is the procedure?

I would like to get feedback from someone who has previously developed apps for iOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :doublethumb:

Thanks in advance, folks. :)

abhidev

Human Spambot
yes...you need a macbook to develop ios apps. Xcode is the Objective C ide used to develop ios apps.

After you have created your app...you'll have to submit your app to the app store where it will be reviewed and only after that it will be available on the app store.

SunE

Professional Newbie
If you're creating any simple apps, which looks like the case since you are a new dev, you don't really need to buy a Mac. Just install OS X Mavericks on VMWare and download XCode from the Mac AppStore.

For publishing apps though you need a $99/year developer account from Apple. But you can write and test your apps on the built-in emulator for free. Also you can try it on your own iDevice if it's jailbroken I guess. Good luck!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What sort of app do you plan on developing. You can a service/API like PhoneGap, which allows you to develop apps using HTML5 and Javascript, so that you don't need to learn Objective-C. Steps for doing so on Windows is given here : Detailed Guide for setting up building iOS apps without a Mac

OP
R

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
Thanks for your information, SunE. I guess Mavericks is available for free.

If you're creating any simple apps, which looks like the case since you are a new dev, you don't really need to buy a Mac. Just install OS X Mavericks on VMWare and download XCode from the Mac AppStore.

For publishing apps though you need a $99/year developer account from Apple. But you can write and test your apps on the built-in emulator for free. Also you can try it on your own iDevice if it's jailbroken I guess. Good luck!

Thank you, Desmond & abhidev. :doublethumb:
What sort of app do you plan on developing. You can a service/API like PhoneGap, which allows you to develop apps using HTML5 and Javascript, so that you don't need to learn Objective-C. Steps for doing so on Windows is given here : Detailed Guide for setting up building iOS apps without a Mac

Is there anything I should be careful of, before building the iOS app?

SunE, you said we need to pay $99 dollars(a year) to register with Apple. Can we create more than 1 app for one developer account or do we need to create separate developer accounts for separate apps?

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You just need to make sure that the apps you have developed are functional before you send it for review :D

I strongly recommend that you try development in PhoneGap because you can develop on any platform and it has its own VM for testing apps. A Mac is only needed for generating the keys needed for signing apps with before sending to the app store, however, it can be done on Windows as given in the link above. Also, PhoneGap apps can only be compiled using the PhoneGap service online but you can code on any machine. Another advantage of PhoneGap is that the same app can be built for all platforms.

However, there is no going around without creating a Apple developer account though. So you will still have to shell out $99.

OP
R

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
Desmond, pls don't mind. Can you tell me in detail what does PhoneGap will do? How much we need to pay for its service? Can you give me the links for some of the best apps build using PhoneGap? :)

Ofcourse, I'm ready to pay Apple's cut($99). Hehe. :D :D

You just need to make sure that the apps you have developed are functional before you send it for review :D

I strongly recommend that you try development in PhoneGap because you can develop on any platform and it has its own VM for testing apps. A Mac is only needed for generating the keys needed for signing apps with before sending to the app store, however, it can be done on Windows as given in the link above. Also, PhoneGap apps can only be compiled using the PhoneGap service online but you can code on any machine. Another advantage of PhoneGap is that the same app can be built for all platforms.

However, there is no going around without creating a Apple developer account though. So you will still have to shell out $99.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Desmond, pls don't mind. Can you tell me in detail what does PhoneGap will do? How much we need to pay for its service? Can you give me the links for some of the best apps build using PhoneGap? :)

Ofcourse, I'm ready to pay Apple's cut($99). Hehe. :D :D

You can get all the info here : PhoneGap | Home

Apps created with PhoneGap : PhoneGap | Apps

The PhoneGap build service is free for open source apps. However, for private apps, the first app will be free, after that you have to pay according to their plans. More details here : *build.phonegap.com/

OP
R

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
Thank you, Desmond. :)

Will definitely let you know when my app is ready. :D

Anyother valuable inputs/feebacks/sources on creating iOS apps is always welcome. :doublethumb:

You can get all the info here : PhoneGap | Home

Apps created with PhoneGap : PhoneGap | Apps

The PhoneGap build service is free for open source apps. However, for private apps, the first app will be free, after that you have to pay according to their plans. More details here : *build.phonegap.com/

Desmond, another doubt. How much money(say Commission) we need to pay Apple for every purchase of our app? I'm curious to know! :D

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am not sure about that. Never developed an app for iOS myself. You'd be better off asking someone who has already done so or research on the net.

masterkd

Padawan
You can submit multiple apps with single account ($99/year).
Make sure all the apps sent for App store are properly functional, does not crash much and follows all the Apple guidelines especially UI.

Regarding app development I like to suggest you to go native way rather than phonegap, appcelerator or any cross platform tool. I am developing mobile apps for 3 years and gone through numerous cross platform tools and I find native is always better, be it iOS or Android. However its upto you with which you feel comfortable.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Mac + $ 99 a year ? And only 70 % of the sales. I am not sure it will be easy to get back the investment.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Macbook is available for around 75k... you should check the Apple store for more details as one of my friend exchanged his old windows laptop and got a discount of and 10-15k

bikramjitkar

In the zone
You don't HAVE to buy a Macbook. Any computer running OS X will do, so you can get a Mac mini (around 30-40 thousand I think) and use any monitor, keyboard and mouse with it. Or, you can build your own Hackintosh. Check out tonyMacX86.com for instructions on that. :)

OP
R

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
Oh, really? Can I connect that Mac Mini with my Lenovo & Toshiba laptops (both running a Genuine version of Windows 7) ??? Is it tough to configure?

You don't HAVE to buy a Macbook. Any computer running OS X will do, so you can get a Mac mini (around 30-40 thousand I think) and use any monitor, keyboard and mouse with it. Or, you can build your own Hackintosh. Check out tonyMacX86.com for instructions on that. :)

I agree with you, Demond. :)
It could be worth it, since you would be using the Mac for other daily tasks as well.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Oh, really? Can I connect that Mac Mini with my Lenovo & Toshiba laptops (both running a Genuine version of Windows 7) ??? Is it tough to configure?

I assume you mean to ask if you can use your laptops as monitors? If so, that could be possible but not worth the hassle in my opinion. Just get a monitor with DisplayPort support and any USB Keyboard and mouse and you're set.

Top Bottom