Pixelated/Grainy video playback, washed out screens in Asus M4A78LT-M LE

casual_gamer

In the zone
I just had a budget system built with Asus M4A78LT-M LE motherboard which comes with integrated graphics Radeon 3000. This board was manufactured on Jan 2011 with Bios version 0704. I installed windows xp and all the drivers. The problem is the videos(movies, youtube, everything) play pixelated and grainy on my 17inch Samsung crt monitor. Connected to another monitor(tft), same problem. Downloaded and installed new/old drivers, no change. Yeah, i installed and uninstalled k-lite codec pack, used driver sweeper to remove leftover drivers, no solution. I played in different video players, changed vlc's video output to direct 3d, opengl, etc.. still pixelated.
Even the screen itself is not as clear as my 10 year old intel 815 graphics, looks kind of washed out. I am searching a solution from two days, haven't found any.
Is there problem with integrated gpu hardware? What should i do now?

OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone
I've tried all those tweaks, not a single setting has helped my problem. The desktop itself looks very inferior compared to intel 815 graphics.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post your detailed system config. I guess your CRT monitor is directly connected to the VGA port.

OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone
Asus M4A78LT-M LE (Radeon 3000 graphics integrated)
Amd Athlon x2 250
Transcend 2Gb
500gb Hitachi
LG dvd writer
Mercury Matrix cabinet with Mercury 450w smps

Yes crt monitor is connected to vga port.

OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone
aren't the drivers which ship with motherboard supposed to work for basic stuff like video playing etc... I will try Catalyst 11.5 but the integrated card itself is quite old, so i doubt it will help. I have already tried few other versions, none have helped. Everything has been so dull looking in this computer so far.

OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone
UMA frame buffer size in Bios is set to Auto. Adaptor information in windows shows memory size 700mb.

Other than the videos, the graphics quality itself looks like compressed jpg image.

Last edited:
OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone
I think northbridge/igp has to be the motherboard temperature right?
Motherboard temp - 34 c
cpu temp - 39 c
vcore voltage - 1.392 v
3.3v voltage - 3.296 v
5v voltae - 5.120 v
12v voltage - 12.099 v
cpu fanspeed - 3292 rpm

Please try the latest mobility driver and CCC from the official site.
did it, installed 11.3, still no change.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think in most of the CRTs the VGA cable is permanently attached. OP has also tried on a TFT monitor with similar results. Looks like either a corrupted Windows installation or some hardware problem.

OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone
yeah monitor issue is ruled out. my crt monitor has permanent vga cable which works fine with external tv tuner box giving clear videos.
i am installing windows 7 tomorrow to confirm if its a hardware problem.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah monitor issue is ruled out. my crt monitor has permanent vga cable which works fine with external tv tuner box giving clear videos.

And also install the latest catalyst 11.5 drivers.

OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone

I installed Windows 7 and still face the grainy display problem. Both in winxp and windows 7 i get a 0.25 sec synchronization problems in videos plus the pixelation/grainy playback. The problem is definitely the integrated graphics hardware.
I heard complaints of the distributor of Asus, rashi pheriperals purposely don't RMA. I'm sure my vendor will handle this case but should i attach a letter describing the problem and how long will they take to give back a new motherboard?

Top Bottom