PIO mode instead of UDMA mode 2 !!! PLS. HELP ME !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi everybody !!!

I have a Sony combo drive (master) and a normal Samsung CD ROM drive (Secondary) running on IDE 2 and I use XP Pro,

My problem is that I am not able to enable UDMA of my Combo Drive where as my other CD ROM is still running in UDMA mode 2.

Earlier it was running on UDMA mode 2 but suddenly one day I was just going through the device manager and I saw that it was running on PIO mode !!!

I have tried to do it using software, changing the IDE cable, turning UDMA mode on in the BIOS also and making it Secondary in both IDE 1 as well as IDE 2 but no affect !!!

Earlier I was able to write a CDR in just 2 min but now it takes me atleast 7 to 8 Min !!!

What to do ???

Pls. Help me !!!
Pls. Reply Soon !!!

geek

Broken In
Check the bios. Under the primary/secondary master/slave (wherever ur cd rom is installed) check that the udma 2 is selected. this should solve the problem

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
geek said:
Check the bios. Under the primary/secondary master/slave (wherever ur cd rom is installed) check that the udma 2 is selected. this should solve the problem
Dude I have already done it and havent you read the complete post, I have already mentioned in it !!!

Mahesh Babu said:
Use DMA forcer 1.2 --- google it for download as it is illegal to give outside links here.

I was not able to find any software called DMA forcer 1.2 in Google !!!

Pls. mail me the link at => Rachitforum@yahoo.com .

Pls. Reply Soon !!! :wink:

paraman

Journeyman
Try the following. It has previously worked for me.

Right click on the IDE Channel in Control Panel > System Properties > Hardware > Device manager, where your cd writer is connected. Click on Uninstall. It will ask you to confirm. Click Yes. Now close control panel and reboot your system. You will find that the IDE channel is running in UDMA mode.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
actually, wht happens is that when CD drive encounters CRC errors, it reverts back PIO mode.
a good option is to uninstall the device , and then install it again
but it'll turn to PIO again when it faces more CRC errors
PIO mode is enabled by default in the following situations:
For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).
look at this page: *www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
and microsoft's page for this: *support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/
these pages have good info !

-----
alibi

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi everybody and thanks for helping me !!!

But still none of your ideas helped me,
So I thought if uninstalling the drive dosent help then why dont I remove the drive itself and make my CD ROM as Master and and reset the CRC,DMA,etc settings and it worked !!!

When I connected my Combo again after a day it was again running on UDMA mode 2 !!!

Still Thanks for your Help !!!

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
1.right click on mycomputer- device manager u know
2. find the ide/atapi driver thingee that is ur burning drive usually its primary
3. if its says pio uninstall the driver
4. restart windows and its gonna reinstall drivers under udma there
as easy as 1-2-3-4

woops sorry didnt see the date of the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom