Photoshop CS5 Sluggish Performance

digibrush

digitalpainter
In photoshop cs5 when I work with brush and try to draw a line or something its draw very slowly.
Here is Example:
YouTube - 09 01 2011 11 09 08

In video, work area is 30.5cmx23cmx300pixel.
Its only happen with large size brush and in photoshop cs 5 and also in corel painter 11.

why this is happening? Is it because of my processor? or Ram? or something else?
Before i upgrade anything I need some advise.
So please..

satyamy

Alive Again...
Re: Processor? Ram? or...

each & every component matter

You need Good Processor + Motherboard & a sufficient amount of RAM for photoshop to work smoothly

post ur system config

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter

Thanks for you response... my sys config:
Intel DH55TC
Core i3 2.93Ghz
corsair Ram(2+2gb1333)
Sapphire HD5670 1Gb
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer

you need not need to upgrade to anything, the config is more than sufficient, I think its the way CS5 is optimized that it shows a lag, this is a known issue and many face it. Even I was facing, I was not much able to do anything, (tried updating the drivers, and stuff like that) the only thing you can do is reduce the pixel size or reducing the spacing of the brush .....that somewhat improves the lag ...........

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter

Thanks sam9s, no way that i can redice pixel size, I need to work on a definite size with 300 pixel. what i do is, as you say reduce the spacing of brush.
So there is no way to improve with this problem?
I may work with cs3, but some brushes are in cs5 which i never have in previous of any photoshop version.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer

^^ Well I couldnt for sure find, any definite ans to this problem ...... though I only work on PS as my hobby, try googling and see if you can stumble upon something, it might be of help to other as well ........

ATI is known to have issues.

GPU and OpenGL support | Photoshop CS4, CS5
Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop CS4 GPU optional plug-ins

satyamy

Alive Again...

yes ur PC config is more than enough
try increasing Memory & Image Cache & add a scratch disk may be it'll help a little

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thread moved and Renamed because the issue is more related to a particular application only.

PS CS5 uses gpu acceleration and for some strange reason if you upgrade your gpu driver PS CS5 disables gpu acceleration and that may be a cause of this sluggish performance.

BTW, while ruining PS CS5 - start task manager and see how much ram is free.

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter
BTW, while ruining PS CS5 - start task manager and see how much ram is free.

It is not always same. 30% to 5%.
but 5% is very occasionally. average 20% ram is free with PS CS5.
Problem is i have to works with multiple application and with a few canvas open in photoshop.

Thats why i am thinking about Ram...but i have some doubt it will really helps..

Anyway... thanks topgear for your reply:).

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Make sure GPU acceleration is enabled - check PS CS5 options for that. If it's not enabled try some older gfx card drivers and see if PS CS5 enables gpu acceleration.

BTw, as you have said sometime only 5% of ram is free and you work with a lot a apps at the same time so I think it's better to buy another 2GB stick for improved performance in CS5 - DDR3 rams are dart cheap now - you can get a 2GB single stick for as low as Rs. 1050.

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter
Thanks topgear:).
Actually Photoshop CS5 automatically enable(if support) these accelerated features.

Now i am running with 2gb of 2 sticks, is it alright to add one stick? Or I have to add two more same sticks? I am not very knowledgeable. So please help..

one more Q. what should be best for my pc performance adding 2 sticks of 2gb or 2 sticks of 4 gb?
2+2+2+2 or 2+2+4+4?

satyamy

Alive Again...
one more Q. what should be best for my pc performance adding 2 sticks of 2gb or 2 sticks of 4 gb?
2+2+2+2 or 2+2+4+4?

forget about adding a Ram for a min
1st Open "photoshop" & "task manager(Performance)"
and do these brushing work & see your PF Usage & CPU Usage
& post ur taskmangers pics here

than you can easily understand weather you need more ram or not

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter
*img838.imageshack.us/img838/8125/taskd.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Corel painter11, freehand 10 and two more canvas open with photoshop.
IE 1 window, WMP, Win explorer also open.

22% free is normal when i work with PS.

I post 1st pic at 12:20 PM.

this 2nd pic:

*img821.imageshack.us/img821/5784/task2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

only 8% free now.

Last edited:

satyamy

Alive Again...
yes u need a RAM

ur board Intel DH55TC Supports upto 16GB of RAM, so now its upto your pocket how much you can add
(obviously 4GB RAM Sticks will perform better)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually Photoshop CS5 automatically enable(if support) these accelerated features.

Now i am running with 2gb of 2 sticks, is it alright to add one stick? Or I have to add two more same sticks? I am not very knowledgeable. So please help..

2+2+2+2 or 2+2+4+4?

I know PS CS5 automatically enables gpu acceleration but for some strange reason after updating gpu driver cs5 just disables gpu acceleration for many - there was a reg fix to re-enable it again but it did not fix it completely.

BTW, I would suggest you go for another 2+2 GB ram modules - so you would get a total of 8GB which I think is enough.

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter
thanks satyamy:)

I am using(some day with nvidia also) cs5 from april last year.. always update driver and luckly:) never have this problem.
And this is only my experience.

But in future, as you say, I always check it.

I will add 2 more sticks of 2 gb and it is the best time to adding memory:mrgreen:

19:45 PM

After adding 2x2gb ram improvement in overall performance but very little in cs5.
But I am happy with overall performance.
*img515.imageshack.us/img515/8834/task3.jpg

Last edited:

TeckKy

Broken In
In photoshop cs5 when I work with brush and try to draw a line or something its draw very slowly.
Here is Example:
YouTube - 09 01 2011 11 09 08

In video, work area is 30.5cmx23cmx300pixel.
Its only happen with large size brush and in photoshop cs 5 and also in corel painter 11.

why this is happening? Is it because of my processor? or Ram? or something else?
Before i upgrade anything I need some advise.
So please..

Just Try to change the preference in edit menu,
Go to Performance>>GPU setting>>Advanced setting>>Mode, here change the mode
My config is entry level running W7 64bit HomePremium with Basic Mode in PsCS5 64bit

Top Bottom