Phone for 5k

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
i recently got the spice android one in the 25th-26th May flipkart sale, but haven't put it to use yet. awaiting tempered glass and cover for it. you may check some feedback on it. a member 'srkmish' had given his feedback on the phone earlier when the phone was still new.

OP
a_k_s_h_a_y

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
am planing to get this one..
it has english language right ? default seems full hindi!

Spice Dream Uno Mi-498H Price in India - Buy Spice Dream Uno Mi-498H Black 4 Online - Spice : Flipkart.com

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
am planing to get this one..
it has english language right ? default seems full hindi!

Spice Dream Uno Mi-498H Price in India - Buy Spice Dream Uno Mi-498H Black 4 Online - Spice : Flipkart.com

avoid it
display is very poor to read
spice makes terrible phones
android one is pathetic even compared to Moto E
get Moto E or a Lumia instead or even Zenfone instead of this crap

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
avoid it

damn it! should've purchased a lumia as had thought of earlier (just saw their 5k phones); but the flipkart sale-price and the positive feedback read here long back made me act impulsively. :|

though i can take refuge and respite in the fact that this phone was purchased solely to teach smartphone-basics to our Home Minister, post which it would be promptly replaced by a 15k phone after 2-3 months and relegated to be used for back-up duties. :mrgreen:

- - - Updated - - -
@a_k_s_h_a_y - tagging @Tenida to suggest about A1. i think he had an unpleasant experience of one (purchased from amazon itself) - apps not updating on wifi or something of that sort.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
need phone for my mom, max budget 5k.
what's the best in this range ?

moto g 1st gen?

Check Huawei Honor Bee
Honor Bee Price in India - Buy Honor Bee Black 8 Online - Honor : Flipkart.com

If camera & android is not an priority then also look for lumia range like 430,435 or 532.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
how about canvas a1?

Micromax Canvas A1 with Android One (Serene White): Amazon.in: Electronics

the answer-
just replace the word spice with Micromax in my previous comment(below):-

avoid it

All Android One phones arent worth it imho
just look at the OEMs- MMX,Spice and Karbonn
all of them are poorly made
rather get Moto or Lumia like I said before

- - - Updated - - -

Check Huawei Honor Bee
Honor Bee Price in India - Buy Honor Bee Black 8 Online - Honor : Flipkart.com

If camera & android is not an priority then also look for lumia range like 430,435 or 532.

Huawei has poor After Sales Service
rather get Moto E or 1st gen Moto G imho
more peace of mind

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
IMO A.S.S. would be decent but that's definitely region dependent. Huawei has strong hold in southern part especially Karnataka. Huawei phones are better built & we had pretty good exp. with Huawei 2-3 yrs back. My Sis in law still using Huawei Y300 along with her redmi 1s.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
yes even a friend of mine's been using a huawei phone since past 3-4 years or more; dont know the model.

OP
a_k_s_h_a_y

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
canvas spark is very interesting, am just curious about the build quality and how long it would last!
i dont' want to risk with infocus m2.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
canvas spark is very interesting, am just curious about the build quality and how long it would last!

dont get android one,canvas spark,infocus M2 or huawei
not worth it at all

ive had issues with huawei in the past and even MMX
very poor after sales atleast in Mumbai

inho stick to Moto E,Moto G 1st gen,Zenfone 4 or Lumia only
since its for your mom,she will need something noob-friendly and peace of mind
no point wasting money on something that may or may not work or risk poor quality/after sales

OP
a_k_s_h_a_y

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
dont get android one,canvas spark,infocus M2 or huawei
not worth it at all

ive had issues with huawei in the past and even MMX
very poor after sales atleast in Mumbai

inho stick to Moto E,Moto G 1st gen,Zenfone 4 or Lumia only
since its for your mom,she will need something noob-friendly and peace of mind
no point wasting money on something that may or may not work or risk poor quality/after sales

I was sure to buy moto e... then I realized no front camera..
my mom is big skype user..uses dad's phone..

rdkumthekar

Broken In
need phone for my mom, max budget 5k.
what's the best in this range ?

moto g 1st gen?

Look No further... Micromax A1 is The Best phone below 5k currently Available in the market. And its perfect for elder people and very easy to use. Got one for my Father just last week.
Currently available on Snapdeal for 5k I think.
And Please stay away from Canvas Spark.. Its got terrible camera, heating issues and poor performance. The spec sheet is tempting but in real world its a strict no.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@a_k_s_h_a_y - check a few reviews on youtube. i watched 2 reviews on android one phones (MMX A1 and Spice Dream Uno) y'day, namely from Kunal Khanna and GeekyRanjit, and reading some comments too therein, my faith's restored! :)
although, comparing say with Moto E, the display is inferior (also, can't play HD videos from YT, but can play sideloaded ones), but the lag-free experience and google updates make the phones esp. at the present price very good to be had! i had written of for what purpose i had purchased the phone and what use would it be put to, and if you too plan to upgrade after some months but need (and not 'want') a good low-budget phone for the time-being under android, then either of the phones should be good.

P.S. - 1 or 2 differences that i noted after watching the reviews and reading the comments, between MMX A1 and SDU, are that the former has wifi-drop issue on lollipop (or kitkat? dont remember) i think, not just on A1, but almost every MMX phone on android K/L, and the other thing is that SDU comes with spice cloud storage (if that matters to you). rest check if you're getting a free MSD card with A1 anywhere. and yes, do get it confirmed about the apps not updating on wifi issue on A1 as tenida had suffered. [MENTION=156122]rdkumthekar[/MENTION] - did your phone have that issue?

and OP, if you're getting moto g 1st gen for less than 8-9k, then simply go for that by spending a bit more.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I was sure to buy moto e... then I realized no front camera..
my mom is big skype user..uses dad's phone..

then get zenfone 4, much better phone than android one etc
even has front camera

not worth losing out out on a good screen,quality, cpu,display etc just for a front camera

- - - Updated - - -

@a_k_s_h_a_y - check a few reviews on youtube. i watched 2 reviews on android one phones (MMX A1 and Spice Dream Uno) y'day, namely from Kunal Khanna and GeekyRanjit, and reading some comments too therein, my faith's restored! :)
although, comparing say with Moto E, the display is inferior (also, can't play HD videos from YT, but can play sideloaded ones), but the lag-free experience and google updates make the phones esp. at the present price very good to be had! i had written of for what purpose i had purchased the phone and what use would it be put to, and if you too plan to upgrade after some months but need (and not 'want') a good low-budget phone for the time-being under android, then either of the phones should be good.

P.S. - 1 or 2 differences that i noted after watching the reviews and reading the comments, between MMX A1 and SDU, are that the former has wifi-drop issue on lollipop (or kitkat? dont remember) i think, not just on A1, but almost every MMX phone on android K/L, and the other thing is that SDU comes with spice cloud storage (if that matters to you). rest check if you're getting a free MSD card with A1 anywhere. and yes, do get it confirmed about the apps not updating on wifi issue on A1 as tenida had suffered. [MENTION=156122]rdkumthekar[/MENTION] - did your phone have that issue?

and OP, if you're getting moto g 1st gen for less than 8-9k, then simply go for that by spending a bit more.

imho ive seen the MMX A1 and the Moto E side by side before,the display on the E isnt so great but its certainly much more readable than the android one series

the only advantage of the A1 series is the camera flash over the Moto E, but its not worth getting A1 over a Moto E or a Zenfone 4

My mom's canvas fun(lowest model) is working fine for the past 1.5 years, just a problem that its WiFi turns on automatically after some time even if its off

At that time i felt build quality was fine for 6k, it was made of non premium plastics but you can't expect more........ Now maybe they have better built phones at 5-6k

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
^^MMX isnt advisable (Yu series is an exception)
just see the RMA threads in TDF,all are filled with issues with MMX,Karbonn etc

no point getting a risky purchase especially since its for op's mom,who will want a hassle free experience

rather get a Zenfone 4 or a Lumia

Asus and Nokia/Microsoft have the best after sales and also have the best quality and features for op

Top Bottom