Phenom II X3 710 Benchmarked vs Core i7 920 and Phenom 9500 - Interesting Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an interesting benchmark most of you would like to read whether or not you use Linux (the OS the benchmarking was carried out on).

AMD Phenom II X3 was compared to a Phenom X4 9500 (thats 9550 to those of us in India who bought the CPU like hotcakes due to its being the cheapest quad core) and a Core i7 920.

The comparison was pretty interesting for many reasons. First, it compared AMD's most successful Phenom 65nm CPU in India, the X4 9550/9500 to its cheapest (as of now) Phenom II CPU. This should give AMD fans some food for thought when planning for an upgrade. NEXT, it compared the cheapest phenom II to the cheapest nehalem. Though the competition was one-sided, the 710 DID put up a good fight. Finally, they also included a stock vesion of the 710 with 4th core enabled in the benchmark, and also an OCed to 3.51GHz tri-core version in the benchmark.

Gaming was not benchmarked, but we all know CPU doesn't matter much on modern games anyway.

The best part was that the 710 actually looks like a good buy. A very good one I must add.

Phoronix said:
Earlier this year AMD launched the Phenom II series to succeed the original quad-core Phenom processors, with these newer desktop CPUs being built upon a 45nm process, tripling the amount of Level 3 cache to 6MB, and offering support for both DDR2 and DDR3 system memory. Prior to the launch of the Phenom II we had tested the AMD Shanghai Opterons on Linux and benchmarked these CPUs on OpenSolaris too, which were the server/workstation version of this new AMD 45nm core. With the Phenom II series there is the X3 and X4 line-up for triple-core and quad-core processors, respectively. In this article we are looking at how well the AMD Phenom II X3 710 performs under Ubuntu Linux.​
*www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=amd_phenom2_x3&image=amd_710x3_front​

Source: *www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_phenom2_x3&num=1

Last edited:
OC to 3.5GHz, sweet! 4th Core unlockable, even better.

What's the price in India, any idea?
I don't think its available in India yet.

But did you see the benchmarks ? The 710 performs better at encryption, compression and some other types of activities compared to the Ci7 920. This exactly the reason some people need to consider the 710 (and other P2's) as viable CPUs. Great for home server use if you ask me.

x3060

A LOTR fan
good to see phenom rising :)...i have kept one more month for an upgrade from my x2 3600..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom