Personal MEdia Drives Frm HP.. EXCLUSIVE OR GLOBAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys did u saw the new add of Hp having personal media drives...
*images5.pictiger.com/thumbs/01/ac27d5ce4799c5c866dc043cd8b9f801.th.jpg
See this
See the cabinet having vertical racks where this drive goes in

*images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/a1/25bd8f65650baaff6b5334cbd721eba1.th.jpg

My question is tht is this product exclusive for HP... or it can e fixed in any other cabinets tooo
Also how does it workk...
I mean it goes inside the drive/rom(????)
will this drives be fitted in normal cabinets...
I hav G300 from VIP will it fitt into this beauty...

:idea:

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
Hhmmm PLEASE YAAR SOMEONE ANYONE PLS
I cant believe this u guys dont even hav any informationon this topic???????????????

Sourabh

Laptoping
They are just normal 7200 rpm hdd with external usb 2.0 casing to make them portable. Only thing is they have shown in a separate bay in the front of the HP Compaq cabinets in their desktop lineups. In other words, just a fancy name to drive people crazy just like you were.

Check this for more info on them

theraven

Technomancer
the drive itself is an ext. usb hdd
comes in a variety like 160, 250 , 300 and 400 gb

the loading mechanism however is exclusive to hp

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
@THERAVEN...
THT oNLY I WAS WANTING TO ASK???
aBT THE LOADING MECHANISM..
so its exclusive to Hp cabinets only not Normal cabinets...

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
You'll need to make major changes to the cabinet. You'll need extra brackets and other hardware. You'll need to mount your HD vertically instead of horzontally. And if you have more than 1 Hd, GOD help you. Even after going through all this pain there's a problem...a major one. Once you have set up HD and the drive bay in parallel and arranged vertically you wont be able to access the RAM slots unless you put in a lot of effort. From what I know customers who have a media center PC have to send the unit back to service center even if the RAM needs to be replaced. Are you ready to take up so much pain just for the looks. I wont. Better opt for an external USB HD.

If you dont trust me, then take a look for yourself.
*img397.imageshack.us/img397/3574/mc6oy.th.jpg

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
@ Zombie ..
Thnx buddy tht was really helpful...
Yup im ready to take the pain...
Just tell me how money i will need to put such kind of loading mechanism in my cabinet...
Also cant this HDD(Personal media drive) be placed verical instead of horizontal.... i mean in the CD rom Rack...

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
@ zOmbie
I having G300 cabinet...
just check the layout of my cabinet n tell wheter i wuld be able to mount it horizontal or vertical...
*www.kunhar.com/vipcabinets/gaming.html

theraven

Technomancer
i doubt if the mechanism is available out of the hp branded computer ...
u can only get the drive .. which is available

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
after seeing zombie's picture i guess we all can make it . Take a USB connection internally from mobo if you have a extra USB pins.you can cut one end of a USB cable and solder it to a rigid plastic board (you can use the CD drive cover from your cabinet). then you must align the board and the hard disc so that it fits correctly. then you can go to a local welder shop and make a holder for that so that the drive can slide easily in and out . then fix the plastic board and align it to the hard drive's USB port.

here is a rough sketch of that.
*img348.imageshack.us/img348/9119/usb8vy.th.jpg

PS:I was too sleepy when i posted this . so please bear any mistakes :oops:

G

gxsaurav

in only about 2 or 3 months, this type of case will be available from different local cabinet makers, however, as s0urabh said, since these are simply rebadged external HDs, why do u want to use it that way, it's supposed to be external

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
I understand tht it is for external use...
But i want to demoralize my frnd who is getting Hp media center Pc.....
He was argueing on this topic tht "Hp has got cool Personal media drive".
So said to him even i can put tht in my cabinet
with the same loading mechanism...
Telling u guys truth even i liked the loading mechanism....
So im despo to introduce in my cabinet...
I also understand the advantages n disadvantages of introducing tht

theraven

Technomancer
the loading mechanism isnt possible even if u connect it to the USB on mobo
all u get is a place to put ur external drive in ... ull still have to connect a wire to it

the loading mechanism would include an interfacing port for the usb connector on the external hdd
temme how do u plan to replicate that ..
there are ofcourse ways ard it ...but not the exact thing

not till we can see the mechanism properly anywyas .. maybe an engineer can whoop up an alternative . but its not just as easy as plugign in an ext hdd

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
@ theraven
even im having the same thought tht u had..
Me too feel tht loading mechanism is difficult to be fitted in normal cabinets...
Till we dont see how it works or wht is inside it i can say anything abt tht...
So as u said, me too Waiting for an "engineer"
If any guys hav knowledge abt this loading mech then please help....!!!!!!!!!

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
I dont mean to discourage anyone here. So please be patient. I may not be the ENGINEER that you guys are looking for, but I can tell you one thing for sure. The brackets that hold the whole rig are bloody complicated to fabricate. The MECHANISM that we are talking about is not as complicated though. In fact there is no ejection mechanism as such if you meant that. You have to push the drive in and pull it back. No ejection here. Its just like a free slot. Thats about it. And the connector is not the normal USB connector, its like a small square with each side measuring 1/4 inch. I'll try to click a picture and send it to you.

theraven

Technomancer
yes that would help a lot
besides if its simply push and pull that makes the job easier
and yeah ofcourse its not gonna be a nromal usb connector ...
but it may still be using the usb port ... the square connector may still be usb
anyways doesnt really matter now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom