Pentium-M destroys Athlon FX-55 and P4 EE

Status
Not open for further replies.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
All hail the new fastest desktop proccy.... the Pentium-M Dothan.

Don't believe me? Then read this review by Tom's Hardware.
*www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html

The 2 year old Pentium-M proccy when overclocked, decimated both the Athlon FX-55 and the P4 EE in all gaming tests. What is even more amazing is that it still consumed much less power than it's competitors.

This untapped performance of the Pentium-M was unlocked by pairing it with a 865/875 mobo.

G

gxsaurav

Hmm, when it comes to encoding P4EE still betas it,

nothing is perfect, if intel can make Pentium M running at 250 MHz with 128 KB L2 cache & 32 KB L1 cache, then I guess they will have a killer CPU for mobile phones & PDA, with possibility of real time mp4 encoding, as mobile phones still drop frames when recording

indro

In the zone
Yes it does, the pentium M core is based on the Pentium 3 architecture with minor changes ,but they have their limitations both in terms of scalability and new features .

Oh , did i mention FX57 next week ? @ 2.8 ghz :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The pentium 3 tulatine was the best processor developed by intel. It till date is used in servers handling mission critical applications and places where uptime is critical. The rebirth of the pentium 3 core as the pentium M is not a shock but an expected outcome. The asus slot converter for fitting a pentium M on the 865/875 mobo is still not available in india. I for one would love to try this on my asus 865 replacing the existing p4 2.4 HT

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Dothan is really awesome when it comes to gaming and certain apps.

But Intel themselves says that Dothan is NOT designed for desktop use.

I dont think Intel is stupid enough to realise its potential and still not introduce it in the market.

But when it comes to encoding the dothan fares very poorly.

But its main advantage is the temperatures at which it works.

G

gxsaurav

Hmm, there are rumars that the 65 nm edition of pentium D will be actully 2 Pentium M cores, with some modifications to provide more performance in desktop sceanario

What they might to is to add some features of Netburs architecture to Pentium M, so a chip which not only runs cool but also performs on par with the Xeons for low cost workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom