Status
Not open for further replies.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Hello All,

My PC's config is as follows: -

P4 1.8 GHz
1 GB DDR RAM
Asus P4BGL-MX (Intel 845 Chipset based motherboard)
4 HDD's (All IDE dun wanna get into the details)
300W SMPS

Now I have run out of IDE ports on my PC and as always I also have run out of disk space. I am planning to buy a SATA drive, so that I can use it even if I decide to upgrade my PC. Is it wise to buy a interface card, because I'm not going to upgrade my PC in the near future. Any help will be appreciated.

- Michael.

slugger

Banned
well since u have no more ports u have no option but to go for a PCI-based SATA card
it is wise to buy a SATA HDD now as it will be supported for a longer time than PATA

din

Tribal Boy
I had the same situation !

I opted for a IDE to SATA card. It worked for sometime, but when huge data transfer comes it fails and it failed for OS installs !

@slugger , I am sorry, I couldn't give you much info on the other thread. So here is my recommendation.

If the IDE to SATA converter or the PCI to SATA card is not by some good brands, better not to go for it. If it is some reliable one and has warranty - go ahead and buy SATA HDD too.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
so IDE to SATA is not reliable?......i have a old mobo so no sata....what the the speed difference between SATA and IDE interface?

OP
djmykey

djmykey

Let the music play.....
So I guess there is no hope. I mean if it gives pathetic transfer speeds then wats the use, coz putting 1.2k in nothing is useless.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
djmykey said:
So I guess there is no hope. I mean if it gives pathetic transfer speeds then wats the use, coz putting 1.2k in nothing is useless.
but Dude u have PCI SATA Adaptors available in the market .

i bought mine for Rs 600 n it's workin fine . i'm using 250 GB Seagate HDD with PCI Sata Card :)

There's a Difference between SATA-to-IDE Adaptors and PCI SATA Adaptors .

So basically with PCI SATA Adaptors , u plug in the card in the PCI Port n u have additional SATA ports in ur pc , doesn't matter whether ur PC natively supports IDE or SATA .

it is preferable that u buy a PCI SATA card with a VIA controller as this is the most supported PCI STA controller and is supported by almost all OS'es .

Last edited:

Maximum

Broken In
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
but Dude u have PCI SATA Adaptors available in the market .

i bought mine for Rs 600 n it's workin fine . i'm using 250 GB Seagate HDD with PCI Sata Card :)

There's a Difference between SATA-to-IDE Adaptors and PCI SATA Adaptors .

So basically with PCI SATA Adaptors , u plug in the card in the PCI Port n u have additional SATA ports in ur pc , doesn't matter whether ur PC natively supports IDE or SATA .

it is preferable that u buy a PCI SATA card with a VIA controller as this is the most supported PCI STA controller and is supported by almost all OS'es .

Does this Card have power supply pins, or you have to buy a cable on your own as old SMPS don't have SATA drive power supply cable!!

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
You can even try getting some XFX Revo64 PCI SATA Adapter.. It promises good speed.. Donno the Price though.

Edit: Link to the Product [xfxforce.com]

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Is this method reliable with Os installation etc....and will this give same performance as MB supporting sata ports?

slugger

Banned
@ maxmum
no d00d SATA cards dont have power supply pins, only data cable interface

i guess u will have to buy a power adpater

@djmykey
a IDE SATA card will ne way not work 4 u since all ur IDE slots have already been taken over (4 PATA HDDs), unless of course u planinn on chuckin a few HDDs away ;)

@[xubz]
d00d those cards r 4 attachin SATA HDDs in RAID config
will need 2 same capacity HDDs

Last edited:
OP
djmykey

djmykey

Let the music play.....
@slugger: - Was in office so didn't read the post properly. What the heck is a IDE - SATA card ????? I dun want anything like that. I want a simple PCI - SATA card.

@Zeeshan Quireshi: - How many SATA ports does ur interface card have ?? And also how r the transfer speeds with huge amount of data ??

din

Tribal Boy
I didn't try the PCI - SATA card. If its a good brand and reliable, go for it. But from my experience, do not go for the IDE-SATA card.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
My card has 2 SATA ports , although u can get 4 port cards easily now .

Dta transfer speds are at par , and i constantly move bout 25-30GB of data to and from the drive without any hiches :)

din

Tribal Boy
@Zeeshan Quireshi

WOW, thast pretty cool. And Rs.600 for card is realy good I think. Whats the brand and do they ship it to other states ? (I am in Kerala, just curious about it)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
@Din , it was a Local brand card , i've lost the box and the card has no name on it .

Well you can get a PCI SATA Card anywhere , n the person whom i bought from is a small shop owner , i don't think he'll be able to ship to kerela . u can get it from mumbai anyways , which is nearer .

@Utsav , well Dragonball Z , OC n Lost HQ Episodes take quite a lotta space :D

slugger

Banned
@zeeshan Quireshi

Did you install any OS on the SATA HDD connected to the PCI SATA card?

If you did, apart from it asking for the SATA software, which I will slipstream using nLite, did you face any problems while installing?

Planning to buy a SATA HDD next month and since my mobo does not have a SATA port, got to buy such a card. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom