PCI & PCIE16 Issue

m3t4l_c0d3r

Broken In
Hey guys,

First off, thanks for looking into my query. You guys have helped me before and I hope you'll be able and be kind enough, to do the same again.

Right. So here are the relevant specs.

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
GFX : MSI R5770
BIOS: Award

So one fine day, the PC stops booting. So I removed all the cards and rebooted in "Safe Mode" and figured out the issue to be the GFX driver. A .dll was going nuts. So I removed the driver completely. And I placed everything back and rebooted. Nothing happened, screen remained blank. After a while I figured out that the presence of the GFX card and the network card in the PCI or PCIE16 slots is whats causing the problem. Coz it boots up fine without the GFX and Network card (DLink).

I tried to navigate through the BIOS to see if the PCI slot power was on or not, since usually there is an option I guess. I kinda couldn't find it. But I don't think it's an issue with the cards. What are the odds of two of them burning up. And right now, I cannot get them tested either.

So I would like to know what's your take on the issue, staying within the limitation of not being able to test the GFX and Network card on another PC.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try these and answer :

1. Boot pc without NiC and with gfx card.
2. Boot pc with NiC and without gfx card.
3. Reset bios settings to default. Or clear cmos setting by removing and putting back the CMOS battery on the motherboard after 2 - 5 mins.
4. If by not booting you meant you can hear start up beeps but the OS is not loading then Install a fresh copy of the OS or try reparing OS installation.
5. install most recent driver for gfx card and NIC.
6. Can you name the dll file you've removed.
7. Scan your pc for malwares / virus.

OP
M

m3t4l_c0d3r

Broken In
Try these and answer :

1. Boot pc without NiC and with gfx card.
2. Boot pc with NiC and without gfx card.
3. Reset bios settings to default. Or clear cmos setting by removing and putting back the CMOS battery on the motherboard after 2 - 5 mins.
4. If by not booting you meant you can hear start up beeps but the OS is not loading then Install a fresh copy of the OS or try reparing OS installation.
5. install most recent driver for gfx card and NIC.
6. Can you name the dll file you've removed.
7. Scan your pc for malwares / virus.

Thank you for your valuable response.

I've already been through most of these points.

1&2. Booted with one card at a time: No beeps, No hard disk activity, black screen.
3. At one point I set the default values to the bios and then later reset it by removing the battery. : Same response
4. By not booting I meant, there are no beeps or any apparent activity. The screen remains off and the there doesn't seem to be any HDD activity either even if it's only the NIC plugged in.
5. I've tried to install new drivers for the GFX card, but the installation gets interfered with the BSOD mentioned below. So that's a no go too.
6. Sorry for the misinformation. It was a sys file, atihdw76.sys and not a dll. (There was an associated BSOD with this file which is what led me to remove the file and the drivers.
7. PC is clean.

OP
M

m3t4l_c0d3r

Broken In
try with some linux live cd/usb & if still no success then most likely it is hardware fault.

Thank you.

But the system boots fine without the cards in the mentioned slots. Regarding the live cd / usb, it's not possible since there is not even a BIOS check happening (read absolutely no activity if the cards are plugged in) for me to boot into another device.

So you think my MoBo is fried huh?

OP
M

m3t4l_c0d3r

Broken In
Thank you.

But the system boots fine without the cards in the mentioned slots. Regarding the live cd / usb, it's not possible since there is not even a BIOS check happening (read absolutely no activity if the cards are plugged in) for me to boot into another device.

So you think my MoBo is fried huh?

Bumpin up for some help.

Top Bottom