PC World does not list Vista in top 100 products of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
PC World today released their list of the top 100 products for the year 2007. The list being an annual feature by a highly reputed magazine, PC World, came as a shocker for Vista supporters as it did not mention Microsoft's most expensive desktop operating system, Windows Vista, in it.

The startling fact is that the list does include Apple Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" and Canonical Ubuntu 7.04 on 9th and 16th positions respectively. Both the products are considered by experts as close competitors of Microsoft Windows Vista.

The "Product of the Year" crown went to Google Apps Premier Edition, followed by Intel Core 2 Duo and Nintendo Wii on 2nd and 3rd spots respectively. Some other products worth mentioning at various positions are
Code:
[b]Product				Rank[/b]

Parallels Desktop		6th
Adobe Premiere Elements 3	10th
Apple TV			11th
Apple iPod (80GB)		26th
Yahoo Mail Beta			27th
Google Gmail			31st
Google YouTube			34th
Mozilla Firefox 2		35th
Microsoft Office 2007		56th
Apple iTunes			61st
Adobe CS3			72nd
Meebo				74th
VMWare Player			77th
Apple MacBook Pro		82nd
ZoneAlarm IS Suite		85th
SanDisk Sansa Connect		86th
Windows Media Player 11		91st
Audacity			93rd
Source: The 100 Best Products of 2007
In Pictures: The Top 20 Products of the Year

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Thanks for a good time, eddie! :)

I never knew those PC World dudes knew their stuff the right way and I am really glad to know that Ubuntu has made such an impact. An open source operating system grabbing the sixteenth position in the face of stiff and hostile competition from a behemoth the size of Microsoft is absolutely refreshing stuff. Hope they keep improving by leaps and bounds! :)

I am thrilled to know my notebook made its way onto a list that does not feature any other computer. :D Microsoft Office deserved a place, that's for sure. Parallels Desktop is an awesome product.

And then, of course, we have the king - Mac OS X itself. These guys know something is good when they see it. :p

The countdown for gx_saurav to jump into the thread with lame excuses begins now...

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
You are ready to listen just lame excuses? I am a step forward...I am waiting for some of them to come in and challenge the credibility of PC World. Now that would be really funny :D

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Mozilla Firefox 2 at 35th Rank...

Certainly not justified from my view, this 2.0 has tons of Problem :( really it doesnt serve most of the reason to swicthing to FF... eats a tons of RAM / Page File, slugish at times... the 1.5 showed us some real dreams where, 2.0 destroy all of those :(

goobimama

 Macboy
Go GX... tell the world that PC World is a biased, unworthy, magazine in the pocket of Apple, Inc....[you see, we read your mind now.... you have become quite a bit predictable]

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
:lol: My, my! What do we have here! This guy seems to have made quite a reputation for himself.

aryayush said:
I am thrilled to know my notebook made its way onto a list that does not feature any other computer.
Correction: There are other computers on that list too, but I am still pretty jazzed up about seeing my (intelligent) choice on a top hundred list.

Oh, and I loved this one:
"Quick: Name a good Vista feature that goes beyond what's in Tiger. Yeah, we can't either."

:lol: So true. I can't either...

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
Choto Cheeta said:
Mozilla Firefox 2 at 35th Rank...
The product is actually forcing web developers to stop tweaking their websites only for IE. It is forcing them to code according to standards. It is forcing Microsoft to "think" about their browser again. It brought actual competition in the world of Internet Browsers and made the world realise that browsers other than Internet Explorer do exist. Mozilla has been awarded the "World Information Society Award, 2007" because of Firefox...35th Rank is the least it should have got :)
2.0 destroy all of those :(
I wouldn't show you any more dreams but I can assure you that Mozilla people realise the problem and are working actively to solve them. They are doing some serious overhaul in performance area and things should improve with Firefox 3.

rajasekharan

Youngling
yeah....thats an opensource development program, and its sure here to get mature and brilliant every minute,
am sure fox 3 is gonna rock....:)
by the way am using fox 2 without any probs.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Eddie said:
The product is actually forcing web developers to stop tweaking their websites only for IE. It is forcing them to code according to standards. It is forcing Microsoft to "think" about their browser again. It brought actual competition in the world of Internet Browsers and made the world realise that browsers other than Internet Explorer do exist.

the product which did all these are FF 1.5, certainly if FF 2.0 would have came to the market before 1.5, we wouldnt have seen so much of shifting users to FF :(

Eddie said:
I wouldn't show you any more dreams but I can assure you that Mozilla people realise the problem and are working actively to solve them. They are doing some serious overhaul in performance area and things should improve with Firefox 3.

U didnt, :lol: and yes, it doesnt matter, whether its FF or IE or Opera is delivering, as to me i will use which works good with me, i am not bound to use a software which is not performing for me, so, yes offcourse, if 3.0 again gives the performance like 1.5 :D sure, i will make switch again :)

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
Indyan said:
Crap list. Fx v2 is there but not Opera
Yeah their v9 (Beta) was was on 49th position last year but they have not included it this year. I don't see why they should though. I mean most of the Opera releases this year were stability or bug fixes one...isn't it? (I could be wrong)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, Speed Dial does not count for much.

If they had released a native Cocoa version for the Mac, then we are talking significant changes. They should at least take a cue from Mozilla who is actively trying to listen to Mac users and change their browser according to demand. That is they way to go. :)

als2

Journeyman
Indyan said:
Opera v9 was released on June 20, 2006. Firefox v2 was released on October 24, 2006.

Just an image -
*img57.imageshack.us/img57/3992/microsoftvistafp9.jpg

true

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Waah!!! mazaa aa gaya . No Vista in the list. And I think the list is quite justified. Almost all products deserved their places.
Me too using FF 2.0 without any problems . Good to see many OSS there.
:)

sakumar79

Technomancer
Quite a few of the products were released before 2007 right? Paint.NET, GMail, YouTube, Firefox v2, Picasa, Kaspersky AV, iTunes, WMP11, Audacity are a few software that were released in 2006 or before... How come they are present in the list? I think even a few hardware mentioned above were released before 2007, but I dont have time to check right now...

Even though I am a big fan of PC World mag, I think the listing is done poorly... Besides, we are not yet half way into the year, whats the point of this list?

Arun

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
All I would say is that "This is absolute rubbish act from PCWORLD". Lol! Truly they have their clocks set wrong releasing reviews of 2007 even before the half-way mark of the year. :))
Moreover why is iTunes featuring in the list? iTunes is no different from the release 2006.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom