PC World does not list Vista in top 100 products of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
sakumar79 said:
Quite a few of the products were released before 2007 right?
The list is done from the middle of 2006 to 2007 and since the list is released in the year 2007...it is "for 2007". The logic is simple. They did the same last year as well...where they released the list in mid 2006 and called it "for 2006".

sakumar79

Technomancer
Ok, eddie, so it is from mid 2006 to mid 2007... Now, tell me, if GMail was initiated in 2005, how come it figures in the list? In my list of software (Paint.NET, GMail, YouTube, Firefox v2, Picasa, Kaspersky AV, iTunes, WMP11, Audacity), many of these are pre-mid-2006. Youtube started in early 2006, Paint.Net and Audacity started in 2004, Kaspersky AV is ages old, and was popular more than a year ago. If you are going to talk about specific features that made it enter the top 100 list this year, there should be a mention of what feature it is... Therefore, I reiterate my statement that this list is badly made...

Arun

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
sakumar79 said:
Ok, eddie, so it is from mid 2006 to mid 2007...
there should be a mention of what feature it is...
My dear friend...things improve between the period and that is what PC World recognizes. It is not about something being invented in that year...it is about how it evolved in that period and how it made people actually take a notice of it with some solid features. Also, if they start mentioning new features of every product then it will not be a list...it will be a thesis ;)

sakumar79

Technomancer
You mean to say GMail started getting noticed only in mid 2006? And Audacity, Picasa, Kaspersky? Come on, these products are popular for more than a year now... May be Paint.NET and Youtube gained popularity recently, but the other products mentioned just above have been very popular for quite some time... Can you tell me what new features in the last year that Audacity, Kaspersky, Picasa, etc have brought that make it stand out from its previous version?

Arun

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
sakumar79 said:
Can you tell me what new features in the last year that Audacity, Kaspersky, Picasa, etc have brought that make it stand out from its previous version?
1) Audacity
2) For Kaspersky: I could not get through virus.gr website because it is under maintenance or I would have linked you to their bi-annual tests showing Kaspersky's supremacy in Antivirus arena. It is the obvious choice from Antivirus field.
3) Google Picasa made its Linux version usable on the platform and Linux users could also use the excellent program. Also, I don't think there is any other cross-platform product in Picasa's category which is as good for doing what it does.

I have already said that explaining each and every program would become a thesis and not a list :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mail2and said:
It's the other thing you love, apart from drinking. :)
I think I know exactly what he is talking about. But isn't Safari supposed to be the best one for that?

goobimama

 Macboy
It's the other thing you love, apart from drinking.

You guys have tagged me as a drunk huh! WTF! I don't drink every day. Not every week. Just once in a while at a session or something... I'm a health freak. Have like a plate full of salad before my meal, drink at least four litres of water everyday and have a juice instead of a pepsi whenever possible...

And as for the other thing, I'm still not too sure to say it out loud. But hey! There's this feature in Safari that's totally not relevant to this topic. Its called Private browsing! It doesn't save cookies, sessions, and history links during that session!

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
You guys have tagged me as a drunk huh! WTF! I don't drink every day. Not every week. Just once in a while at a session or something... I'm a health freak. Have like a plate full of salad before my meal, drink at least four litres of water everyday and have a juice instead of a pepsi whenever possible...
Yeah, we totally believe that dude. Absolutely. :p

goobimama said:
And as for the other thing, I'm still not too sure to say it out loud. But hey! There's this feature in Safari that's totally not relevant to this topic. Its called Private browsing! It doesn't save cookies, sessions, and history links during that session!
Umm... that's what I was talking about. mail2and knows about it though. He flaunted it once in one thread if my memory serves me well.

Fake Steve Jobs (FSJ):
PC World does me a solid

And lists OS X as #9 on its Top 100 list of the best products of 2007. This is PC World, mind you. Money quote: "Quick: Name a good Vista feature that goes beyond what's in Tiger. Yeah, we can't either." Much love, PC World. I take back all those bad things I said about you.
LOL! I love this guy. :lol:

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
goobimama said:

Yeah, but Safari is not cross platform. :)

That session does stretch a bit too long, doesn't it? :lol:

sakumar79

Technomancer
@Eddie:
1. Have you gone through the Audacity changelog? There is nothing special about the changes to warrant entry into the list... There are much better products for sound editing and being free is too thin a reason to make it into the list.
2. Sure, KAV is good, but it is not the best. There is no such thing as the best and if you look at av comparison sites, you will see that Avira, BitDefender, NOD32, etc.. offer similar and occasionally better performance compared to KAV... Now, if they had Check Point ZAISS (no. 85) at no.55 and KAV at 85, it would have atleast made some sense...
3. Picasa being made available for Linux is reason to enter the list? Picasa is a very ordinary (not excellent) photo organizer, with the only special feature about it being that it can export your photos to Picasaweb... There is no reason to send it into this list...

Heres another item... Youtube has been in the limelight for more than a year (see last years list if you want to confirm). So, what new features has it added? And if new features are not a criterion, then Opera should be in the list because it is definitely better than bare Firefox (after all, if we talk about Firefox, it should be the product Firefox by Mozilla and not including all its extensions... The extension feature is great and should be considered, but Firefox+extensions should not be considered).

One more rant: Did you notice the game in the list (not gaming console/rig/hardware).. Thats Guitar Hero 2 for you at no. 33... Now, this is mind-boggling... If the list had to include games, why not something better, like the Legend of Zelda or the Warcraft series? Last year also, it appears that its prequel Guitar Hero made it to the list as the only game... Could it be that the authors have certain preset notions?

@Aryayush: Not to start a flame war in here, but since you quote "Name a good Vista feature that goes beyond what's in Tiger. Yeah, we can't either"... Heres one for you: I can install Vista on any computer that I assemble as long it has the required System Specs and be within my legal rights... Tell me how to do that with the Mac. BTW, theres more that I can do with Vista than with Mac (though I use XP only right now), such as gaming, having variety of apps (both free and paid) of my choice (and dont start with parallels or crossover - they cost extra)...

Arun

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
sakumar, u got a point thre

1) To run Windows on Mac, you need to buy it for atleast Rs 4000 (XP Home)

2) To run it on parallel, you will need to buy Parallels or VMWare + Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom