PC wont boot, fans spin for a sec

Status
Not open for further replies.

shri

Always Fresh!
Disclaimer: The following text is copied from *www.astahost.com/info.php/Pc-Fan-Spins-Stops-Bootup_t10844.html. I am facing the exact same problem, for which there is no solution posted in the site above.
So guys anyone with a suggestion/solution?

My board: ASUS A8N-E
RAM : 512 MB DDR
HDD: 2x 80 GB [1 Sata, 1 Pata]
GPU: XFX nVidia 6600
PSU: Zebronics

I just want someone to confirm this before I go online and buy the part (which is probably going to be expensive).

--> -->

Just took a look at my cousin's Acer (ASUS) Pundit computer. It's one of those small form factor machines. Well, I pushed the power button and the power lights up for one second and shuts off immediately. I popped the little critter open and watched the fan spin for one second and then stop. I have to unplug the cable and replug it back in, in order to push the power again to see if turn on for one second...nothing.

My first guess was power supply...then I used one of my power supply testers on that 20 pin (I think)power cable and the fan started to spin...no problem there *www.astahost.com//style_emoticons/default/smile.gif This is my first time using a power supply tester, but I assume that means it's definitely NOT the power supply.

So right now, I'm guessing is has to be the motherboard right? Like I said, I want to make sure this is the correct piece to get since it will probably be expensive since this machine is not that old (about a year only). Not sure how I can test out a motherboard to be sure it's not faulty (like using power supply tester for power supply testing), so if anyone has ideas on how to do this, I'm all ears If it helps, the ethernet port is lighted up when the power cord is plugged in...but I don't think that means anything. Board probably still bad?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Erm first of all try to get another PSU and try booting up with that. This same problem was with a friend's pc here, and the SMPS wasnt able to deliver enough juice. It still worked but it wasn't enough. The SMPS actually had failed in a way but it was still working (all you can do now is run fans and led's with it lol ). Tried booting with my 460W CM RPP and it booted up without any problems.

Try and check with another SMPS first :)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
My Money is on the PSU as well. Ive had my fair share of ignoring SMPS problems till I got wiser. Id first try to see if I could hook it up to another power unit and see if it works. If it does well you just saved alot of money from needlessly buying a motherboard. If it doesnt then you could do what I usually do. Remove everything but necessary components and start testing from there. This method is suitable for people who have spares with them though. However you could take it to the dealer and have the test for the same.

Cheers

OP
shri

shri

Always Fresh!
I checked with different RAM stick, problem persists. I couldn't get a PSU. Damn, where are my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom