PC Upgrade under 20k

meet6600

Broken In
Hi,

I need to upgrade my father's friend PC under a strict budget of up to 20k and it will be used for Accounting (tally), Browsing Internet, Auto CAD, watching videos on YouTube. He needs something reliable and it should allow some upgrade path and serve him good for next 2-4 years. Please suggest the best possible stuff that can work up to speed and be good for the tasks mentioned. He already has following which he wants to keep:
1) iBall cabinet i7272 iBall 250W
2) 80GB PATA Samsung HDD
3) PATA Moser Baer DVD/RW
4) Enter Keyboard Mouse Combo

Things that would be upgraded:

1) AMD Athlon X2 (Don't know what make as Integrated Display has gone and no GPU now with AGP Slot)
2) 256 MB RAM
3) Gigabyte GA KM266 VIA Chipset
4) Monitor to anything good around 18.5" or above within the budget

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Office Work includes Accounting, Internet Browsing, YouTube and Auto CAD

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: upto 20k nothing more than that at any cost

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Never

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows XP SP3 or Windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 80 GB already there so not required unless there is no mobo offering PATA Port

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Any Good Monitor would do but should be at least 18.5" not less than that.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Cabinet with supply, DVD RW, KB and Mouse and HDD

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This Week or as soon as it gets finalized.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes built 5 systems for myself and friends

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Open to Online Purchase however locally would be quicker and easier

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Nops enough said :-D

Please pour in your suggestion for AMD/Intel Rig based on parameter's mentioned.

Thanks & Regards,
Dilmeet

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
I suggest go in for a whole new rig in that range:
Check this AIO:
HP DreamScreen DreamScreen: All In One Desktop: Flipkart.com
or this PC:
Buy HCL Ezeebee AC2F0006 Latest HCL Ezeebee AC2F0006 Online - HCLStore.in
Alternatively, you can visit here:
*shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/desktops/essential/c-series#c200

OP
M

meet6600

Broken In
I suggest go in for a whole new rig in that range:
Check this AIO:
HP DreamScreen DreamScreen: All In One Desktop: Flipkart.com
or this PC:
Buy HCL Ezeebee AC2F0006 Latest HCL Ezeebee AC2F0006 Online - HCLStore.in
Alternatively, you can visit here:
Essential C Series PC's for Everyday Use at a Great Price | | Lenovo | (IN)
@CyberKID
Well even I think that!:-D The PC is really on it's last legs and better move to a new thing as I don't think minor tweaks would hold good for long....in BTW how should I get data from that PATA Samsung 80 GB as most new Mobo's have SATA! Also I need to get that with some kind of work around as my uncle would now think thrice since now We need to get him a new machine:)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ What is with you? Why are you suggesting those inferior quality of AIO PCs?

@OP: I don't know the current prices, so won't be able to suggest the costs, buy roughly your config will be like this:
Pentium G620+good H61+2GB RAM+Corsair VS450+BenQ2222HDL or Dell 2220L.
Using autocad?
You might need a good graphics card. :unsure:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^^ These are inferior ones according to you? Sure, if someone suggests some VALUE things, it's inferior? Everyone knows even the branded PC's are not the ones the companies build themselves from scratch. They simply assemble them. They've got all the components which are available in the markets except the Atoms. More, based on the requirements, and the BUDGET, it's something that suits. Two of them are Atom based, and one is a PDC 630 based system. For a system within such a budget, you have suggested PDC 620, then what's wrong with PDC 630? AND the budget is strictly 20K, not more than that at any cost! remember? And it's a suggestion for the OP. let him decide what he wants. if you want, give your own opinion.
@meet6600: For transferring your data from the IDE(PATA), you can get an IDE to usb converter. Alternatively, you can look for a board which supports IDE. Some still do. A few hours of online research might prove beneficial. Good Luck!

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for 20k budget system with a requirement of autocad atom based configs are out of question.now between an assembled & branded 20k pentium dual core system each has its pros & cons.if op finds the process of first buying various parts at reasonable costs(depends on his location/buying options) & then get it assembled cumbersome then he can go for hcl system else assembled config provides more flexibility & better configuration.e.g.for Rs.3100 one can get gigabyte H61M-D2H online which has DVI & HDMI ports very useful for future as D-sub/VGA analogue port on lcd monitors is a dying breed.same with ram where one can get corsair value ram with 10yrs warranty.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Yup! OP has both the options. in any case, he'll need to be dealing with a whole new rig.
His Iball 250watt PSU might not suffice for the requirements, and given that he might consider replacing most of the stuff he has right now.
If the OP wants to assemble, then here's my config:
Processor (Pentium Dual Core G620)
Motherboard (Asus P8H61-M LX)
RAM (Kingston Value RAM 2GB 1333 Mhz)
HDD (Seagate/WD 320 GB HDD/WD Caviar Blue 250GB Sata 6GB)
Monitor (AOC 943FWSK- 18.5" LED)

A total of Rs. 17500. If the OP wants, he might consider either purchasing the cabinet, or one more RAM stick, or a budget graphics card (a GT520, ATI 5450 or 6450 or such), or simply upgrading the Processor to a core i3(i3 2120) with the remaining cash. The prices quoted are from flipkart and are rounded up to the nearest 50. Expect paying somewhat less if you're going on shopping yourself.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Motherboard (Asus P8H61-M LX) 3500
not again :facepalm:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/160028-low-end-pc-15k-budget.html#post1703843
what is this obsession of people here with asus mobos for low price range(below 5000-6000)?in this price range asus is the worst choice for their price.gigabyte board @3100 offers DVI-D port,HDMI port & a better onboard audio compared to asus P8H61 & people still recommend this.(not to mention asus poor after sales support in some regions).

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
AND the budget is strictly 20K, not more than that at any cost! remember? And it's a suggestion for the OP. let him decide what he wants. if you want, give your own opinion.

I can't suggest anything to OP as I don't know the latest price of all the components in the market. :-(

saswat23

Human Spambot
^^ But you can know from online websites.

Here is my suggestion:
* Intel i3-2100 -- 6.3k
* Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H -- 3.2k
* Corsair 4GB DDR3 Value RAM -- 1.3k
* DELL IN2030M HD LED -- 6.2k
* Logitech Z103 Sepakers -- 1k
* Intex 600VA UPS -- 1.2k

If he doesnt want speaker and UPS then get a good PSU like Corsair VS-450 or FSP SAGA-II 500W for 2.2k.
To use your old PATA HDD get a IDE-SATA converter. Will cost around 150bucks.

Top Bottom