PC takes 9 minutes to start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zegulas

Traceur
Everything was going fine until yesterday night. I woke up today and started my PC, just to find out that it won't. I got an error message saying "C:\Windows\System32\System" file was missing.
I had to check my Orkut scraps, so I started my PC using a Linux Mint live CD. After doing all that, I turned the PC off, then again after sometime I started it, but now even Linux refused to start.
Then I called one of my friends and asked him to bring his Windows XP CD. Even during the installation it was taking a lot of time. Now after reinstalling, the PC takes approximately 9 minutes to start. What should I do now???

Sumeet_naik

It doesn't matter!
Do the basics,
Run an antivirus, anti-malware scan.
open msconfig and untick unwanted programs from startup..
Run any tuneup utility..

Even try disk defragmentation. .

Last edited:
OP
zegulas

zegulas

Traceur
ok, but the problem even persisted when I disconnected the Hard-drives and only used the CD ROM to boot Linux...

anzaan

Broken In
ok, but the problem even persisted when I disconnected the Hard-drives and only used the CD ROM to boot Linux...

then most prbbly u hv too much uwanted expired entries in registry. n also keep less applications in start up.

dwnlod ccleaner. run registry fix n remove unwanted applications frm start up

finally scan ur system

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) Check IDE cables.
2) Check if CPU is getting adequate airflow.
3) What is your system's config?

OP
zegulas

zegulas

Traceur
AMD 3000+, MSI K8M800, 80GB PATA+ 250GB SATA, 512 MB DDR 400 MHz...
Now its taking 30 to 45 minutes to start...!!!
Forgot to mention 1 important thing, this thing started after I installed Windows XP Manager software and did some cleaning of XP with it.

That software actually removed some system files (as I have mentioned above). I had to reinstall XP, but even the XP's CD took a lot of time just to load, I mean I have installed XP on my PC and also on many other PCs for more than a 100 times. It never takes so much of time, I am very confused right now, I guess there is some problem with the hardware only...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
put your hdd in any other pc and try to install windows in your HDD.

There is also a h/w diagnosis in Everest Ultimate I think, run it and paste the report here.

Last edited:

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
I think there's something wrong with IDE channels.. maybe something in BIOS? Okay, HDD maybe the sole culprit; but then why would'nt Linux Mint not boot the second time he tried it, that too with HDD disconnected?

Check proper airflow of the cabinet and ensure all the cables are connected properly.
I had a similar prob (8-10 mins of booting time). I reassembled my PC and it came down to about 4 mins. But that was 2 years ago :p

OP
zegulas

zegulas

Traceur
OK, I will check the hardware, but after a few days. Because I have my presentation on Monday and I don't want the PC to stop working, in-case something goes wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom