PC slows down with almost 90% CPU usage

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hi, I'm having this issue since past couple of months.

Have Win10 as OS.
160GB SATA HDD.
i5
16GB RAM DDR3

If I open Chrome (4-5 tabs at max), FF (2-3 tabs at max), Whatsapp(desktop version) at the same time, PC kinda starts crwaling.
Oh, uTorrent and KIS(Kaspersky) is always running at background.

I've checked in process monitor, Chrome alone brings CPU usage to at times 100%. This does not stay but is frequent.

I've a office laptop with similar config, but that runs smoothly with even more load!.

I wonder what is going on in my system?

Any idea guys?

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Which if any chrome extensions are installed ? Problem happens when chrome is closed ? Use using vivaldi instead of chrome. Clear chrome history and cache.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a task manager inside chrome too,you can open it by settings--more tools.Just see which process/tab is causing heavy cpu usage.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I think I've found the solution.

Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Causing 100% Disk Usage - Cyber Geek Software %

Removed Telemetry. Post reboot, 5min passed till writing here.
No freezing yet.

I'll update here if this stays or just a pause b4 next freeze!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
A temporary solution,only permanent fix is getting ssd which is recommended anyway nowadays.Once you experience a pc with ssd,you will never go back to running os on a hdd.My freind got 480gb kingston ssd for 3100 during amazon's last oct sale.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Ok, this seems to be working for me.

40 Mins since this was done and no freezing.
Previous a split second whole system freeze every 3-4 minutes.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
A temporary solution,only permanent fix is getting ssd which is recommended anyway nowadays.Once you experience a pc with ssd,you will never go back to running os on a hdd.My freind got 480gb kingston ssd for 3100 during amazon's last oct sale.
An SSD is not required to offset the processing overhead caused by something as Telemetry. Telemetry should be turned off by default, and should be opt in.
One of the biggest reason for those people who choose nix over bindows.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
An SSD is not required to offset the processing overhead caused by something as Telemetry. Telemetry should be turned off by default, and should be opt in.
One of the biggest reason for those people who choose nix over bindows.
Trying to fight telemetry on win 10 is like trying to kill a cockroach infection by killing a few cockroaches,it is doomed to fail.:D Other than that,telemetry is not the only reason for such 100% disk/cpu usage on win 10. There is no reason to run an os on hdd nowadays unless someone absolutely can't afford 1.5k or simply does not care about overall user experience.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Yes, SSD is absolutely necessary now a days for faster read/write speed and overall smooth user experience.
But the 100% utilization is not at all a SSD can handle or will resolve completely. and once a process has frozen the system no matter SSD or HDD the system will still take time to come to normal working state.

Back in the old days we use to have HDD the only source of storage with OS installed on it and WIndows 7 was nicely optimized to give a smooth user experience with no freeze & BSOD. Though not 100% perfect but still it was accepted by every Windows lover out there.

@rhitwick : Buy a SSD if you haven't. You will never go back on HDD again.
Most of the time I found that the website script hangs the system and also increases utilization of the CPU.

Last edited:
OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hmmm.

I would like to try.

Installing Win10 again is going to be a challange.
Mine was upgraded from Win7. Not sure how to install this again.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm.

I would like to try.

All activation info of win 10 home/pro(& some other supported versions) is now saved on MS servers so in case of any future reinstall all one needs to do is connect to net & as long as hardware is unchanged(aka mobo,processor,lan) the system will be automatically reactivated.

You can download the win 10 iso/create bootable pen drive directly from MS site too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm.

I would like to try.

Not promoting piracy but there's stripped down version of windows without telemetry and loads of other unnecessary stuff. Make a bootable pen drive using Rufus .. works fine with any version of windows 10.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not promoting piracy but there's stripped down version of windows without telemetry and loads of other unnecessary stuff. Make a bootable pen drive using Rufus .. works fine with any version of windows 10.
LTSC version? It is good enough for typical uses & for those who never plan on using apps/games from MS store.For gamers though it may not be enough considering some latest driver/os changes won't be coming to LTSC(e.g.the latest ryzen thread scheduler patch by microsoft which improved the performance of ryzen processors won't be coming to LTSC).

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
as far as I am concerned LTSC is only sane version. No cortana, reduced telemetry, no breaking updates or random GUI changes. and no forced candycrush. performance has to be better

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as far as I am concerned LTSC is only sane version. No cortana, reduced telemetry, no breaking updates or random GUI changes. and no forced candycrush. performance has to be better
It is but it has one annoying bug currently,when the default program is changed to some 3rd part program(e.g.browser,video player etc) then one gets a notification when such file is opened on double clicking for the first time after every login.

P.S. its inbuilt image viewer is also paint which is not good but install this which is much better ImageGlass - A lightweight, versatile image viewer

Top Bottom