PC restarts randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquafusion

Journeyman
I have a 80 Gb HDD IDE, on which I have installed Xp and vista, The drive consists of 3 partitions,.
Now I attached 160 Gb SATA, without making any changes to BIOS, SATA HDD got detected as well, But when I Start XP I get a BSOD, and PC restarts itself.
The same does not occur in VISTA.....

I formatted the SATA HDD in vista using Disk Management.....And made 4 Partitions of 33, and remaining 40 gb each....

I tried loading Xp again, but still the same issue, it restarts......

I know that most probably, if I reinstall Xp the system will detect the drives and will work fine, But wanted to know the cause of this condition......also I would like if someone game me the solution of the problem , rather than me going for the reinstallation of Xp again.....

Also are there any settings to be done in the bios when adding sata HDD to system...

sumitdut

Broken In
try to make sure 160 gb is on sata 1 port and 80 gb is on sata 2 port,
and try to install the OS-es on 160 gb

hsetir

Broken In
try to make sure 160 gb is on sata 1 port and 80 gb is on sata 2 port,
and try to install the OS-es on 160 gb
80gb is ide means pata. @aquafusion can you tell the exact time of bsod(during boot, before login, of after logging or random, check by starting xp in safe mode), and the bsod error msg on 2nd-3rd line from top and bsod code if there is, 2-3rd from bottom.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
when one dual boot..funny things can happen if one add or change the hardware..ahem windows xp might have got distracted by the newly added sata drive...so when you try to boot it, it might be looking for itself in the newly added sata drive...in other words, the drive letter assigned to partitions might have got messed up as far as windows xp is concerned..you can google to see the process repairing windows xp installation in a dual boot with vista scenario

forgot to add
from ur case, you managed to get to the OS selection menu which will obviously be displayed if dual boot is working...so selecting windows xp there show a bsod..right

something gone wrong with the boot records...for windows xp installation..you can also google to see how to repair the boot records in a dual boot with vista scenario

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom