PC powers on but does not shows POST/BIOS screen

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i was playing assassins creed 2 today, and i accidentally pressed 'power' key on the keyboard instead of 'print screen'. monitor went blank [no signal] like it always does when i press power key. I was pissed off so i pressed the reset key of the cabinet. [monitor was still blank after pressing reset key, cabinet power key was glowing and fans were still running]. so i turned off my UPS and turned it on again to completely turn off the CPU.
now whenever i press power button of cabinet, PSU, CPU, GPU and cabby fans start spinning but there is no display on monitor [shows monitor is working: no signal]. there is no POST/BIOS screen displayed. even keyboard lights does not flash when i turn it on. i have tried to clear CMOS by turning the PC off and disconnecting all cables and shorting the pins using screwdriver. removed CMOS battery for 5mins and inserted again. but its still not showing any display, i have also tried different RAM slot but it didn't worked either

what should i do :( i upgraded my cpu mobo ram just 3 months ago.

config:

CPU : AMD phenom II X4 B25 [its Athlon II X3 425 with 1 core unlocked]
mobo : gigabyte GA78LMT-S2P
GPU : Sparkle GT240 1GB DDR3
RAM : corsair value select DDR3 1333MHz
HDD : 1.0 TB WD caviar green
PSU : Hytech 450W PSU

NO ODD

i have also tried to hold power button 5-10 seconds to do 'hard shutdown' but its not working. i have to unplug power cord everytime i want to turn off the CPU.

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
remove all additional devices e.g. DVD Drive, Hard disk & GPU card.
Try booting with only keyboard, onboard graphics, 1 RAM stick and monitor and see if it reaches post & bios. If yes, basic computing devices are in order and you need to go to next step to check what other interfaces are causing the boot failure.

Vishnupg45

Liverpool fanatic.
@patkim
+1 try it happy17292 and report back ,any doubt in procedure? Means google it as breadboarding my pc

kisame

King of Heroes
Most probably a cpu or mobo fault.ACPI is not working as you have to unplug to power it off.
Check your cpu on other mobo to point out the culprit or just use warranty.

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
this thing just happened sometimes ago in my computer also. With everything running, there is no beep sound and no booting, no POST. I have just started thinking what to do next- suddenly and after a long time than usual the BEEP sound occurs and rest is smooth. i have not shutdown yet to see whether it pops up again.

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
problem solved :-D power button on cabby was stuck inside. the spring loaded power button on the face of cabby was coming back to its place after pressing it but the main switch inside the cabby was stuck

kisame

King of Heroes
problem solved :-D power button on cabby was stuck inside. the spring loaded power button on the face of cabby was coming back to its place after pressing it but the main switch inside the cabby was stuck
He he he!!
Good for you it wasn't serious.I wasn't so lucky.Had to replace my mobo and CPU when this happened to my pc.:cry::cry::cry:

Top Bottom