PC not starting

noob

Cyborg Agent
Hello Guys,

All of sudden, my PC is not starting.

If i try to power on the PC, the CPU fan, Front Case fan and power supply fan spins for 5 sec and then stops. Motherboard LED glows as it is supposed to be when system is on

I have tried following things so far

1. Removed all RAM sticks, Graphics card, Mouse, keyboard, HDD , CD ROM from mother baord
2. Now i tried to power on the system and same thing happens.
3. Self tested power supply by shorting Green & Black and PSU fan spins.
4. Made sure that all connector are plugged in tight,

Whats wrong with system ?
Bad PSU , CPU , Mobo ?

My Config:
Core-i5 2400
| Intel DH67BL
| G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
| 500GB Segate
| CM 430
| Corsair VS550 PSU
| BENQ V2410 eco LED Monitor

Last edited:

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
have you tried booting with a live cd without HDD, try removing HDD and check. You said, PC starts, but fails after few seconds. After this trial, if it doesn't, then it will definitely be a problem with the motherboard.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
But i did the PSU test by shorting Green and Black wires and then the PSU fan spins.

That test is not adequate since your PSU is not under any real load at that time. I'd suggest you try to get hold of a friend's PSU and try to start your PC with it to check.

Judging from the nature of your problem, it appears that your PSU is at fault. However it could also be because of CPU overheating. Every system has a failsafe that shuts down the system in case of an overheat. This could occur a few seconds after your machine is turned on. Therefore, check whether your CPU cooler is placed properly and replace the paste if needed to rule this out.

HE-MAN

Ambassador of Buzz
first thing to do would be try to power it up with another psu.
also try changing the ram slot

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
How do i validate it ?
If your system boots with another PSU and you have checked all other components and yet if it won't boot up then its 110% Motherboard short

I know cause I have faced it
The fans spin up for a few secs and then it won't start after that

Only if u remove the plug from the socket,wait a few and then start it will start but again it will light on for 5 secs and then nothing

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Also if it were a RAM problem then the PC boots but it will give a beeping sound in a pattern depending on the buos

OP
N

noob

Cyborg Agent
have you tried booting with a live cd without HDD, try removing HDD and check. You said, PC starts, but fails after few seconds. After this trial, if it doesn't, then it will definitely be a problem with the motherboard.

My PC does not even go to BIOS. I have tried removing all components and tried going to BIos..but its not even reaching that stage. So this is out of question

- - - Updated - - -

I will try with friends PSU. Hard to get it but will try it.

Given my PC config in OP/Signature & cabinet, which PSU should i get so that it even works with new high end graphics card.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Depends on the GPU you are planning on buying. At least 500W bronze should be minimum for high end cards.

OP
N

noob

Cyborg Agent
So finally i did breadboarding and same problem occurred as mentioned in OP. Finally i connected PC and pressed power button, one of the capacitor got burnt and now at least it is confirmed that motherboard is dead. Luckily, all other compoenets where not connected. HDD, RAM, etc.

Anyways, I am creating new thread. Looks like i need to buy new motherboard + PSU.

Top Bottom