PC keep restarting. Do I need power stabilizer?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey... Sorry guys. I was very much busy with some heavy edit vfx work. The issue is resolved. The culprit was PSU. I changed it and upgraded to 850 watt PSU. EVerything works butter smooth now.
Thanks to all the members and specially gta5 who took their time to discuss it here. Cheers ! :)
I hope you got a good series psu this time(like corsair RMx or TXM).

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey... Sorry guys. I was very much busy with some heavy edit vfx work. The issue is resolved. The culprit was PSU. I changed it and upgraded to 850 watt PSU. EVerything works butter smooth now.
Thanks to all the members and specially gta5 who took their time to discuss it here. Cheers ! :)

congrats :)

but why 850 watts ?? , like whitestar mentioned i just hope you went for a good series..

Last edited:
OP
crius.black

crius.black

New to this forum
Actually I tried 450W and another 650W PSUs. But still my PC restarted. Also I had lot of work piled up. Later I tested it with 850 and it worked fine just as before. So my PC supplier figured out the issue was of low power supply. This time I went with Antec 850w as lot of people here locally suggested me to use it.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
650w restarting , were they by any chance generic PSUs ??? and not from well known brands like Corsair , seasonic, Antec, ,cooler master ?

how much did you pay ?

OP
crius.black

crius.black

New to this forum
Tried with another 600W Cooler Master and 450 one was also i guess Cooler Master one.
For this Antec one I paid 11,000.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Didn't he say he wanted it urgently for some work or something? Because the lesser capacity ones did not work out and this was the only one that was stable for him.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Didn't he say he wanted it urgently for some work or something? Because the lesser capacity ones did not work out and this was the only one that was stable for him.
Even then a Corsair RMx or Seasonic M series 850W PSU would've been a better option.

Edit: System Builder - Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 960 4GB - PCPartPicker

This list states he needs 408W at peak load (non-OC).

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Tried with another 600W Cooler Master and 450 one was also i guess Cooler Master one.
For this Antec one I paid 11,000.

then it is likely that those models were old and weren't good models , with weak primary caps , that they weren't able to give a hold up time of even 10-11ms with your load... a high quality 650 watt unit with a big bulk cap would have been enough

is this your PSU ?

ANTEC SMPS HCG-850M - 850 WATT 80 PLUS BRONZE CERTIFICATION FULLY MODULAR PSU WITH ACTIVE PFC

it is a good PSU manufactured by seasonic , but expensive .

anyways it was urgent.. atleast the problem is solved :)

and thank you for updating the thread..

Enjoy.. hopefully it lasts you 10 years+ :)

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
then it is likely that those models were old and weren't good models , with weak primary caps , that they weren't able to give a hold up time of even 10-11ms with your load... a high quality 650 watt unit with a big bulk cap would have been enough

is this your PSU ?

ANTEC SMPS HCG-850M - 850 WATT 80 PLUS BRONZE CERTIFICATION FULLY MODULAR PSU WITH ACTIVE PFC

psu doesn't last 10+ years, unless it's very lightly loaded. like 20-30% of its maximum wattage max.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
psu doesn't last 10+ years, unless it's very lightly loaded. like 20-30-may be 40% of its maximum wattage.

high quality PSUs can easily last 10 years + .. why do you think Corsair and Seasonic offers 10 years / 12 years warranty if it isn't the case ? :)

40% usage is nothing for a "good high quality" unit.. at that usage level you can even run it at ""24x7"" and it will still last 7 years probably

however for a bad unit with bad caps , it may die within a year even with less usage

Last edited:
OP
crius.black

crius.black

New to this forum

is this your PSU ?

Yes. That's my PSU. Yeah I too hope so. :) Thanks.

icebags

Technomancer
high quality PSUs can easily last 10 years + .. why do you think Corsair and Seasonic offers 10 years / 12 years warranty if it isn't the case ? :)

40% usage is nothing for a "good high quality" unit.. at that usage level you can even run it at ""24x7"" and it will still last 7 years probably

however for a bad unit with bad caps , it may die within a year even with less usage

may be those extra high qualities do, but in general even for good psu, they will degrade much after 6 years. if they are under heavy gaming load, then it's more bad.

that psu he bought, shows 5yrs warranty.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
may be those extra high qualities do, but in general even for good psu, they will degrade much after 6 years. if they are under heavy gaming load, then it's more bad.

that psu he bought, shows 5yrs warranty.

yes definitely gaming puts more load , from what i know , 6 years i think is too short for even a cheap well designed cooled PSU with all jap caps, in general as long as you don't exceed 70-75 % ( not 24x7 ) , i think they should be fine for 8 years or so .. good PSUs are generally overbuilt

even the cheapest good PSUs with all jap caps at Rs 5500-6000 are now coming with 7 year warranty.. you can buy Rm 650x at 8k or so and it comes with 10 year warranty

yeah the antec model he bought is an old model that comes with 5 year warranty , ..

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
^ i had a cooler master psu, that went kaput after 4 years on a dual core + a 8800gt, and it probably took the 8800gt along with it, cause it also went kaput around the same time. it was more than 5 years ago, the psus may have improved since then may be.

then i decided to buy a higher rated 600w corsair gaming psu to minimize loads. i prefer not to strain the psu more than 50% even when gaming on full loads.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Which models ? Do you remember it ? The ones I am talking about with 9-10 year life that I call "good or high quality" are the ones that comes with all Japanese caps.. Anything else is "almost" guaranteed it will not last this long with a few exceptions.. Depending upon which brand caps does the PSU use it may last anywhere between 2 to 6 years in general with gaming builds .. No 1 failure in PSU is capacitors , then fan , if psu design and OEM ,quality control is good then other failures are not that common generally afaik

Last edited:
Top Bottom