PC for donation to charity school

user28

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mainly used for kinder garden kids. So usage will be mostly rhymes cds and cartoon movies cds and maybe a few nursery or kindgarden software cds. No gaming.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 8000 or less

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: NO

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows XP or 7 ..open to Basic versions of Linux also

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Not important... Even a 250 GB also will do the job

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: 14 or 15 inch basic monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In 2 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes.. I can assemble myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. Open in buying in both ways, wherever is lesser price

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Since the intended purpose is very basic, and extremely limited budget, Please suggest basic components and yes since space is also a restriction, so looking for small form factor pcs.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
If you only need to play multimedia files/ discs, even a Raspberry Pi will suffice perfectly. It costs just ~3k.

1) I too thought of it, but it is not very easily available.
2) Thought it is a very good alternative, operating it may not be easy for the staff over there as they know very little about computers.
3) Ease of operating the device is also equally important as I had said the staff are not experts in computers and devices.

If it is available easily in India, is there a GUI based OS available for it for easy operation?

Raspbian is there. elementary os may work. link to buy it *www.crazypi.com/raspberry-pi-products/Raspberry-Pi-Starter-Kits/raspberry-pi-starter-kit

or
Shopping.kitsnspares.com

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Raspbian is there. elementary os may work. link to buy it *www.crazypi.com/raspberry-pi-products/Raspberry-Pi-Starter-Kits/raspberry-pi-starter-kit

or
Shopping.kitsnspares.com

Well though the price is very less, Raspberry pi is too complicated to maintain by the staff over there. After a lot of thinking, I decided to go for the conventional models for 2 reasons.

1) Easy upgradability in future
2) Ease of use

Initially i did not think of the Board+Processor combos. A quick search in the Flipkart gave me these results.

Combo Motherboards - Buy Combo Motherboards Online at Best Prices in India - Computer Components : Computers | Flipkart.com

Need opinions on these combo boards. Any other combos available for a more cheaper price ?

Top Bottom