Status
Not open for further replies.

ankitsaraf

Right off the assembly line
hi!!
i have a dual boot p4 2.8 machine with 256mb ram and asrock 845 motherboard.a few months ago my machine started to heat up and the fan started roaring.after some days, the computer started hanging every now and then.sometimes it worked for only 10 mins and sometimes without any problem for hours.however win 98 worked fine.i tried re-installing xp but the system sometimes would hang in the process of installation only.sometimes it said it could not read the disc or the disc was corrupt.
after many tries, xp would install but the problem persisted.a technician looked after the machine and said it was heating problem.
i cleaned the heat sink, fan and checked every connector on my machine.
after that, the cpu was cool but new problem arose.the bios doesn't recognise hard-disk if dvd-rw and hdd are connected to the same cable.but when i separate them, the bios detects hdd but hangs after writing..."searching for boot **** from ide ...ok". sometimes even the screen goes blank and would appear only after a few restarts. what may be the problem? i used memtest to check ram.it was ok....please help..!!!

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
asif1231 you have all windows and game updates? r u playin this from vista? u can't alt-tab ur way to the desktop? you can try running chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow. if u think its HDD. what other software u usin? firewall/av tune-ups/regcleaners ... how many services u running in backround? what do u scan with for threats?

ankitsaraf try just connecting the HDD with xp on it. is win 98 on differnt HDD?

rocket357

Security freak
Something you might consider:

Is your BIOS set to auto-detect your RAM settings? I know I've dealt with these kinds of issues on RAM-intensive games. The problem was that my BIOS hadn't correctly id'd my RAM settings. Modifying these settings corrected the problem (check with your RAM manufacturer to get the recommended settings).

ankitsaraf

Right off the assembly line
my machine is 2.5 years old. there was no problem for nearly 2 years.now the bios should not be a problem as the machine boots fine from a knoppix boot cd. i have only one hdd.c drive for win 98 and d drive for xp. the game which i play most is counter strike condition zero that too locally.i don't have internet at home.

when i am not able to boot the machine, how would i scan the hdd???? knoppix now doesn't recognise my hdd, so i am not even able to take backups.the bios does shows the hdd connected..

dabster

In the zone
asif1231 said:
could it b by any chance a hard drive problem,
yeah that cud be the culprit, it is possible that HDD may not be running in UDMA mode 5(i.e in PIO mode, check in device manager) and thus CPU usage for every access to Hard disk not leaving CPU cycles for any other process(here winamp)
@Vutonium : I guess this is surely the problem with yr PC so check in Device manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom