Pc console?

ShaDe29

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys, just wondering, would it make sense if i custom built a pc such as this,

Graphics Card : ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (ZT-60201-10L) 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card[ RS. 6500 ]
Processor + Motherboard: AMD/Gigabyte AMD 3.6 GHz AM3+ FX4100 Processor
Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H Moth Combo Motherboard [rs 10000]
Ram: 8gb(2x4gb) G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB : 1.6x2 = [rs 3200]
Cooling : Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO [1500 rs]
HDD : Seagate barracuda 1TB : [Rs 4500]
Optical Drive : Asus DRW-24B3ST Internal Optical Drive [RS. 1220]
PSU : Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK 600 Watts PSU [ Rs. 3220]

GRAND TOTAL: Around 30k

Then get an xbox controller and play games on TV using HDMI? I mean, xbox has great stuff but the games are expensive as hell...so just wondering. Please suggest.

Sarath

iDota
Depends on what types of games you like playing ?

If you are worried about costs then a PC is always more versatile and has cheaper games

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
But... a 30K PC can not compete with XBOX360 / PS3. Saying this because I've been using Xbox360 since its release. If one wants headache free gaming without worrying for will this title work for on my rig? how optimized is this game? then one should go for consoles.
Having a versatile PC is am expensive proposition. You won't stop spending on it because every other year a new game will come up which will push your PC hardware. Atleast for Consoles, its not like that. you are guaranteed that for atleast 5 years all the games will run optimally on your console. Current gen console life seems to be more than this. PS3 and XBOX360 have been performing for last 7 years now. XBOX360 - since 2005 and PS3 since 2006.

kk_590

Broken In
Hi ShaDe29 .....It will completely make sense if you build and PC with the configuration you have mentioned, but with just one modification I mentioned below.
If gaming is the sole purpose of your rig, then you have to spend a couple of thousands more and get a 1GB DDR5 graphic card instead of a 2 GB DDR3 one. Because, a 1GB DDR5 graphic card will easily outperform a 2GB DDR3 graphic card in most of the cases and DDR5 graphic card is a must for all of the latest games to run at respectable frame rate and resolution.
Remember that building a gaming PC may be relatively costly (it depends on the individual and the money he has,because you can spend lakhs on building an ultimate gaming PC) but PC games are cheaper. Remember that you can get a good graphic card with the money you spend on 2-3 games for Xbox.
And, Xbox has been in the market for more than 5 years now, so its hardware is a bit outdated. So, it can't handle the latest games with ease. You can watch PC vs Xbox/PS3 graphics videos on youtube for better clarity on this.
My suggestion is to go with the PC build and get a Xbox 720 when it releases at the end of 2013 or in early 2014, by saving some money until that time :)

OP
S

ShaDe29

@kk_590 completely agree with your view. Xbox 360 to PC comparisons IMO show us that colour and texture quality is far better in PC than ones in console. Now the only problem remains the large view of the LCD/LED and comfort of the couch :-D. Also if your PC becomes a bit outdated one can easily upgrade it.

Thanks for all the replies :razz: will be getting the same config rig except for the 1gb DDR5 ram as kk_590 suggested :-D

OP
S

ShaDe29

@vkl :
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:Gaming. Games like fifa 13, BF3, Assasins Creed 3, Prototype 2, COD black ops 2 etc will be played most.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 30k can extend to 35 if necessary

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 7 premium

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB minimum

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No will be using the TV

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: keyboard, mouse, speakers etc. Only need the CPU.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Next month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:pune. Will be buying mostly locally. And yes open to buying online. Please also suggest good shops in Pune.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:No

Sarath

iDota
Read the section about used games here and see if it is more efficient for you to buy a console - [GUIDE] Everything you need to know about the PS3

Also this heated discussion between console and PC gamers (half of which I do not understand) - PlayStation 3 vs Gaming PC

kk_590

Broken In
I feel that the large view of the LED TV isn't going to enhance your gaming experience and in fact it my even deteriorate. Because, as we have already discussed, the hardware in Xbox is almost outdated. So it can't handle the latest games at 1080i with playable frame rates. You may have to play at lower resolutions and lower settings.
Coming to the comfort of a couch while gaming, I completely agree with you :razz: . But, in my case, I play mostly online multi player FPS games like
BF3,CS GO etc :cool: . So I am not at all comfortable playing FPS games with a handheld controller :-(

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Because, as we have already discussed, the hardware in Xbox is almost outdated. So it can't handle the latest games at 1080i with playable frame rates. You may have to play at lower resolutions and lower settings.
oh yeah,and a gt 640 can handle all pc games at full hd with everything at ultra :rolleyes:. get your facts right,because you sound like a fanboi
even if the hardware on xbox 360 is outdated no one gives a s#!t,because xbox 360 games are optimized to run nicely on that hardware,and btw xbox games are upscaled from 720p or lower to 1080p,you don't have problems like "So it can't handle the latest games at 1080i with playable frame rates. You may have to play at lower resolutions and lower settings" on xbox 360

@ShaDe
: extend your budget to 60k to get a good pc to play with your tv,or get an xbox 360 action adventure bundle for 25k + Xbox Live subscribtion for 2.5 k if you want MP
a 30k gaming pc is crap and you will be using gt 640 which is crap

techdabangg

Broken In
But... a 30K PC can not compete with XBOX360 / PS3. Saying this because I've been using Xbox360 since its release. If one wants headache free gaming without worrying for will this title work for on my rig? how optimized is this game? then one should go for consoles.
Having a versatile PC is am expensive proposition. You won't stop spending on it because every other year a new game will come up which will push your PC hardware. Atleast for Consoles, its not like that. you are guaranteed that for atleast 5 years all the games will run optimally on your console. Current gen console life seems to be more than this. PS3 and XBOX360 have been performing for last 7 years now. XBOX360 - since 2005 and PS3 since 2006.

This is the truth... period. Consoles are like.... you buy them... connect them to TV... pop the DVD/BD inside... and enjoy. But PCs are like...you decide on components.. you hunt for components... half of the time you feel that you are not getting VFM... you build the rig with some trouble..... and at the end after 6 months a game release which makes you buy another 15k gfx card. LOL.

@OP - My sincere suggestion is if you are not in computing much and want to enjoy gaming then get a XBox 360 4GB Slim. Dont go by the advice to build a PC now and get Xbox 720 later. A gaming rig which would play all the latest
games would set you back around 45k. And when Xbox720 would releases it wont be priced at mere 15k (the current price of 360).

@People - Agreed that 360/PS3 hardware are outdated compared to current gen PCs, but the thing is according to my experience with 360, PS3 and PC, console games graphics are actually "High" settings graphics of your PC games.
Main advantage of console gaming is that the games are guaranteed to run on it till the end of life of the console.

So if one wants only gaming and is not interested in computing then one should go with consoles.

kk_590

Broken In
oh yeah,and a gt 640 can handle all pc games at full hd with everything at ultra :rolleyes:. get your facts right,because you sound like a fanboi

I agree that GT640 cannot handle all pc games at full hd and that is the reason I suggested him a DDR5 card which is relatively more powerful.

My PC config is :
Core2Duo E8400, 3 GHz
Intel DP35DP Motherboard
2x2 GB Transcend RAM
1 TB + 360 GB HDD
Zotac GTX 560 SE
Corsair GS600
Colermaster Elite 431.

You can check the prices of above parts and estimate the worth of my PC.
I got the Graphic card,Power supply and Cabinet mentioned above recently so that I can play the latest games and the remaining components are four years old. And I spent around 15k for those three components.
Yes, the Xbox games are optimized to run nicely on that hardware and that is the reason why Xbox and PS3 games cost a fortune.
Let me tell you that I am not a PC fan boy. Even I thought of getting a console, but later decided to upgrade my PC rather than getting a console.

Initially when I read your reply, I thought, did I say anything wrong :shock: . But after seeing your Spoiler (rig details) and specifically "XBox 360 Controller" in your "Other Stuff" category, I actually understood why you were saying so :wink:

To support my claim, I would like to tell you that
I get 45 FPS at FullHD and at Medium Settings in BF3 Multiplayer. Tell me how many FPS you get in a Xbox/PS3 and at what resolution ?

btw xbox games are upscaled from 720p or lower to 1080p,you don't have problems
I am glad that you have used the word "upscale". The literal meaning of that word tells the whole story.
Xbox was released ages ago and why do you get so upset when I say the hardware is outdated. Search online and see what is the graphics processor in Xbox and what is the graphic card that is equivalent to it in the market today.

Dear Internet Preacher , correct me if I am wrong :cry:

Last edited:

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
You can check the prices of above parts and estimate the worth of my PC.
I got the Graphic card,Power supply and Cabinet mentioned above recently so that I can play the latest games and the remaining components are four years old. And I spent around 15k for those three components.
\
ermm.but the OP wanted a gaming rig in 30k and a gt 640 is crap also he did not want to use old parts,like you have done
the
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: keyboard, mouse, speakers etc. Only need the CPU.
in that case will a gt 640 look good on a TV or an XBOX 360?
the Xbox games are optimized to run nicely on that hardware and that is the reason why Xbox and PS3 games cost a fortune.
no prices of xbox/ps3 games are directly converted from price in euros to rupees,along with the inclusion of tax.that is why they are expensive,PC games are subsidised because if people cannot buy PC games they will "get" them
I get 45 FPS at FullHD and at Medium Settings in BF3 Multiplayer. Tell me how many FPS you get in a Xbox/PS3 and at what resolution ?
idk about resolution but it should be 720p or upscaled to 1080p depending on your TV.FPS should be around 30fps,and let me add you cannot change the resolution at which the game outputs in a console

the bottom line
if the OP had a good budget of atleast 55k or 65k i would gladly recommend him a Gaming PC,but since his budget is tight,console seems the best option
if the OP is hell bent on gaming PC he should save enough cash to get better components
Note--my points were against you defending OP's bad configuration(FX 4100/GT 640) for a PC and not as gaming PC's as a whole

kk_590

Broken In
Sorry ! I didn't notice that he din't want to buy a monitor and will be playing on a TV. In that case a console will have a bit more advantage, because of its compactness and ease of use. Because, if you connect a PC to TV, it is not at all comfortable to do any other work than gaming (of course it depends on how big the TV is).

Sarath

iDota
Buy a PS3 for 20k and buy used games and you will be occupied for another 2 years easily.

You can invest in a PC when the next gen consoles have released and then when you are bored of PC gaming or it is too slow, you can buy a 2 year old next gen console at affordable prices and get used games for them.....loop it till you reach 40

Sarath

iDota
^bro, i think that the OP has already gone out to buy his *FX 4100/GT 640* rig

Hmm, considering the number of FPS games he has on the list, maybe it is better that way.

He can always buy a Xbox controller for Windows (which I highly recommend) to play Fifa and such games

Top Bottom