PC Configuration Request

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know,I too only came to know about this a week ago while replying to this thread & searching:
Motherboard for HP server ML10

mitraark

Decrepit
I believe SSDs are not yet worth the price, since the processor is a permanent non upgradable component, i would suggest getting a Ryzen and skipping the SSD.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe SSDs are not yet worth the price, since the processor is a permanent non upgradable component, i would suggest getting a Ryzen and skipping the SSD.
I disagree,the above statement only applies to those people who can successfully push their processor to 90% or above usage in their day-to-day operations & unless you are doing some serious virtualization/encoding/editing/decoding stuff I seriously doubt you can even push the latest pentium dual core G4560 to such ends.

SSDs on other hand can enhance overall user experience on even years old system & are great for every possible system configuration if one has the budget.What would you achieve by sacrificing ssd to get ryzen if you can not even push it to 40% usage in your tasks compared to a G4560 which you might be able to push to 50% with some efforts but with a ssd now?

jasku

In the zone
Going the Ryzen route would give the OP and upgrade path, which the G4560 will not. If the OP is looking to upgrade in a couple years, the Ryzen would provide more value. The Intel path will let you go max till a 7700K which should be okay another couple years.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Going the Ryzen route would give the OP and upgrade path, which the G4560 will not. If the OP is looking to upgrade in a couple years, the Ryzen would provide more value. The Intel path will let you go max till a 7700K which should be okay another couple years.
I agree with this except ryzen would require OP to sacrifice ssd to get a dGPU which, again, is not required for OP's usage when iGPU (hd 610) is perfectly fine for 4k playback. (link: HD Graphics 610 - Intel).
Even if it was a "gaming" pc in the budget, ryzen won't make sense.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
What is the difference between regular RAM and premium RAM for eg. Corsair Value Select vs. Corsair Vengeance if the frequency is same say 2400?

in addition to what saiyan goku mentioned , they are likely binned better as well , and may overclock better ..

Are SSDs reliable enough for long term use as main disk?

SSD have lower failure rates than hard drives , but they are more prone to data getting corrupted than HDD , So backups are even more important with SSD .. and it is very hard to recover data from a failed SSD than it is with HDD generally ... but the speed and less failure rate( and longer warranties as well in some cases ) makes it much better than HDD if you don't require additional storage space...

if you do , a 120gb SSD + 1tb combo is much better .. or even a 64 gb one ..

HDD I/O is the biggest bottleneck of modern Systems , SSD is atleast 20 times faster than a hard drive in random speeds ( very important ) . random speeds of hard disk is only 1.5 MB/s on average..

what is the use of upgrade path if all this PC is ever going to be used as a basic system .. ? that upgrade path comes at a cost too ( Ryzen 3 1200 being Rs 2500 expensive + Rs 2500 cost of a DGPU ).. unless you are going with A6 9500 , which is older and slower than g4560

i think 3000 Rs is being wasted on a B250 board , when you can have a decent H110 board for Rs 4500 , and OP buying from Nehru place , shouldn't be hard to get 1 with an updated BIOS

you can fit HDD and SSD within that budget easily or save money

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
why are pentium g4600s and other higher end 7th gen pentium cpus unavailable in india?it seems as of now most retailers only stock the g4560,even though they too are becoming increasingly difficult to find these days.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
why are pentium g4600s and other higher end 7th gen pentium cpus unavailable in india?it seems as of now most retailers only stock the g4560,even though they too are becoming increasingly difficult to find these days.
G4560 retails around 6-6.5k. If you go a bit higher, you'll get i3 7100 and 8100 (which aren't VFM compared to 4560). If G4560 was still around that 4.5-5k price, G4600 could have been launched for 6-6.5k. Intel cannibalized i3s with G4560 and entry level "gaming" configs became cheaper.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
G4560 retails around 6-6.5k. If you go a bit higher, you'll get i3 7100 and 8100 (which aren't VFM compared to 4560). If G4560 was still around that 4.5-5k price, G4600 could have been launched for 6-6.5k. Intel cannibalized i3s with G4560 and entry level "gaming" configs became cheaper.
it is actually now with recent price drop , g4560 available to buy offline for Rs 5000 and 5400 on mdcomputers

INTEL PROCESSOR PENTIUM DUAL CORE G4560 (INTEL 7TH GEN, LGA1151 SOCKET, 3M CACHE, UP TO 3.50 GHz)

those were never launched in india.. higher end pentiums dont't sell well in india so they don't keep/import stock for india .. , plus there is not much difference in "CPU" performance between higher pentiums , igpu diff is big , but that doesn't matter for most people .. anybody willing to pay more for a pentium , is willing/and usually goes with Core i3.. only last year i3 was a bad deal because pentium started coming with HT and i3 lost their value.. This year everything will be back to normal and i3 sales will be very good again

Last edited:
Top Bottom