PC Configuration Help- 40-50K

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)

Ans: My PC is currently being used for office work. It will run few proprietary softwares which are apparently a bit RAM heavy. Also using AWS and VMC VDI but these need at most Win 10 and is not too heavy on system(Note:- Using for office purpose only till March 21). Also using it for watching movies and pc games at moderate settings at best (CS,LOL etc since I use my PS4Pro for gaming)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 40k which can extend to 50k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 10

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: My primary drive needs to be an SSD (512-1TB). Will use HDD for Storage (5TB Approx).Can allocate additional funds for it

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: I connect two monitors to my current system and I plan to continue using dual monitors. (LG 24 inch 1080P and Lenovo 27 inch 1440P)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I have a 550W Seasonic PSU since the last 4-5 years. Wanted your opinion if I should continue with it or keep it as a backup. Keyboard, Mouse and Monitors will be reused.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I had built my existing intel 2nd gen system but that was 10 years ago. Out of touch with assembling so I may ask an assembler to do it. Also my cable management skills are poor

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Residing in Mumbai. Planning to buy from a mix between online and local (Primeabgb, Vedant, mdcomp)

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: PC config will likely stay the same for around 5-7 years barring RAM additions. So I am looking for a reliable CPU and MOBO atleast with 16GB RAM. My PC also runs for about 14 hours daily so thermals is important as my current system heats up even with moderate load. Also I need a suggestion for Cabinet. Budget for Cabinet is about 5k which is not included in the budget mentioned above

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You can either go for
Ryzen 3100 + B450 + GTX 1650 combo or
Ryzen 4650G with iGPU + B550 combo

Both will cost about the same (including 16gigs of memory, cabinet, 512GB SSD, new PSU) and within your budget of 50+5k.
PS: If your Seasonic is fine and good, you can keep it and don't have to get a new one.
Wait for others to comment about this part. Whether to get a new PSU or keep the old one.

Office powerhouse

CPU - Intel i5 10400 - 15.5k

Mobo - MSI B460 Pro VDH WiFi - 10.5k

RAM - 1x16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 5.6k (add more later, this allows to go upto 64GB if needed)

GPU - Integrated GPU*

M.2 SSD - WD SN550/Kingston A2000 500GB - 5k

PSU - Use yours, if it's a 550W Bronze rated

Cabinet - Deepcool Mattrexx 55 Mesh or other mid-tower ATX - 5.5k **

Total - 42.1k

*When the successor of GTX 1650 Super & AMD RX 5500XT are out, get those for ~15k or so next year
** Can be something cheap like Corsair SPEC 01 as well
If you need GPU now, get GTX 1650 for 11-12k.

Gaming Setup

CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 3100 - 8.6k

Mobo - Asrock B450 Pro4 ATX - 8k*

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz - 6k

GPU - Zotac GTX 1650 Super - 15k

PSU - Corsair CX550 - 4.5k

Cabinet - Cooler Master/Antec/corsair mid tower ATX - 3k

Total - 50.1k

*need the latest BIOS to run 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs, but most sellers have latest stock with BIOS pre-installed these days. Do enquire.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
How are Corsair CX Series PSU's these days? Before Seasonic, I had Corsair VX550W which gave me a whole lot of trouble.
I have decided to keep my Seasonic PSU and my existing RX460 GPU as backup. I just wanted to confirm if Corsair ones are reliable.
The office setup won't be for long though as i only need to use it till March 2021. Likely getting an Intel 10th Gen System from work...So i am more inclined towards the AMD setup.

How are Corsair CX Series PSU's these days? Before Seasonic, I had Corsair VX550W which gave me a whole lot of trouble.
I have decided to keep my Seasonic PSU and my existing RX460 GPU as backup. I just wanted to confirm if Corsair ones are reliable.
The office setup won't be for long though as i only need to use it till March 2021. Likely getting an Intel 10th Gen System from work...So i am more inclined towards the AMD setup.
R5 3600 is good but costs 20k+ these days, it not that much superior over i5 I listed. Wait for some time, with launch of R5 5600X maybe stock issues will solve.

For B550: Gigabyte B550M DS3H for 9.5k is a good budget B550, otherwise, MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi for under 13k (was 11k on sale in amazon).

Corsair CX550 is a good budget PSU.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
My current system is almost as good as dead with regular BSOD issues and pc not starting on alternate days. I doubt if the stock will normalise anytime before Q1 2021.. So 3600 is out then.. How about 3100/3500..how much of a performance difference is there especially in terms of single core speed.. Intel seems vfm at the moment but feels obsolete at the same time.. Little apprehensive there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
But I am open for suggestions.. Would prefer a dedicated gpu than the IGPU though

My current system is almost as good as dead with regular BSOD issues and pc not starting on alternate days. I doubt if the stock will normalise anytime before Q1 2021.. So 3600 is out then.. How about 3100/3500..how much of a performance difference is there especially in terms of single core speed.. Intel seems vfm at the moment but feels obsolete at the same time.. Little apprehensive there.

R5 3500 is inferior to i5 10400 & 3500 is close to 15k now. There are many benchmarks online & i5 10400 is just a bit slower than R5 3600 (even with 2666MHz RAM limitation).

Sadly AMD's stock issues have made me recommend Intel i5, which is just a better value now.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
So i have decided to go then for the four core R3 then. But i wanted to ask if we can consider 3300X considering there is a performance gap of 10-20% on average in benchmarks. Would it be worth the extra amount for 3300x. Also confused between B450 vs B550 boards. Which one to pick from and what are the advantages. Can i upgrade my CPU in a B550 board in future to lets say a AMD 5000 series after few years or is there not much of a difference between B450 and B550 and just stick to B450?

Could you recommend a cabinet for about 5-6k with good cooling options (Won't use water cooling but will add 120mm fans or similar). Should last minimum of 5 years atleast. Power button should also be able to last long.

Do apologise for the noob questions

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The GPUs that can have a bottleneck with Ryzen 3 CPUs will themselves cost more than 50K or so. So, no GPU in your budget will have a bottleneck.

I will suggest to go with B550 boards as they will _definitely_ support Ryzen 5000 series CPUs.

Many B450 boards will support Ryzen 5000 series as well, but this will be through a beta BIOS and will require a “careful” BIOS upgrade.

Another heads up, B550 boards are the last boards with AM4 socket. Don’t expect them to support CPUs beyond Ryzen 5000 series.

So i have decided to go then for the four core R3 then. But i wanted to ask if we can consider 3300X considering there is a performance gap of 10-20% on average in benchmarks. Would it be worth the extra amount for 3300x. Also confused between B450 vs B550 boards. Which one to pick from and what are the advantages. Can i upgrade my CPU in a B550 board in future to lets say a AMD 5000 series after few years or is there not much of a difference between B450 and B550 and just stick to B450?

Could you recommend a cabinet for about 5-6k with good cooling options (Won't use water cooling but will add 120mm fans or similar). Should last minimum of 5 years atleast. Power button should also be able to last long.

Do apologise for the noob questions
R3 3300X is definitely better, I didn't put it nor B550 because with R3 3100 + B450 I have hit your 50k budget. But R3 3300X & R5 3600 are overpriced right now. Considering R3 3300X is selling for 14.5k, I'd prefer i5 10400 at that price because the i5 is a 6c/12t CPU. There might not be much difference between gaming performance for those two right now, but in future, there might be with games becoming more CPU heavy as next gen consoles have an 8c/16t CPU (an underclocked R7 3700X apparently).

B550 is better & Gigabyte B550M DS3H is the best budget B550 at 9.5k. Above that there's MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi which was as low as 11k on sale (usually under 13k).

I did suggest Deepcool Mattrexx 55 Mesh for 5.5k earlier. Other good options, MSI MAG Forge 100M, Cooler Master MB511 ARGB, Lian Li 215 etc. Cabinets are subjective. Get one with meshed front with dust filter & decent pre-installed fans (at least 3).

For budget GPUs (<20k), there won't be any bottleneck for now.

These benchmarks are with RTX 2080Ti, so won't see such differences with budget GPUs but when CPU performance matters, this is what it will look like:
CPU midrange 3 (1).png

CPU midrange 3 (2).png

Source: Hardware Unboxed

The i5 10400 paired with B460 supports max 2666MHz RAM, you need Z470 mobo for XMP which is a waste of money. People never recommended i5 10400 until recently when R5 3600 became expensive (was 15.5k earlier).

B450 mobos will support Ryzen 5000 via BIOS update next year, B550 already got BIOS update for Ryzen 5000. Ryzen 5000 is the last CPU with this socket.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
After much thought, i have decided to go for the spec which @omega44-xt had given before which is

Cabinet - Deepcool Mattrexx 55 Mesh - 5.5k

I just hope this system will last atleast for 5-7 years before upgrading.

Thank you @omega44-xt for your patience throughout the thread as well as @nac & @ico for your help.
I will be placing the orders by this weekend. Hopefully the setup will be ready by next week.

Reactions: nac
After much thought, i have decided to go for the spec which @omega44-xt had given before which is

Cabinet - Deepcool Mattrexx 55 Mesh - 5.5k

I just hope this system will last atleast for 5-7 years before upgrading.

Thank you @omega44-xt for your patience throughout the thread as well as @nac & @ico for your help.
I will be placing the orders by this weekend. Hopefully the setup will be ready by next week.
Sorry to break it to you, but it won't play all games after maybe 4 years or so when support for Xbox One X/PS4 Pro gets dropped completely & mid-cycle refresh of consoles are out (like PS5 Pro). This will make XB SS/PS5 specs as minimum for games & those are much more powerful than that rig. Sadly only GPU change won't help as CPU will be a bottleneck, a used R7 3700X or Ryzen 5000 CPU with some new GPU will help though, SSD might become min requirement by then.

It performs kind of like this in new games:
1603974267651.png

Without gaming, it should be fine. Do register in Zotac's website within 30 days of purchase to extend its warranty to 5 years.

I have seen some sellers selling that AsRock mobo for 7k & you might get 2x8GB 3200MHz RAM for 6k, just try to negotiate.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
I figured the upcoming games will be too demanding for the current spec anyways.. I primarily do gaming in my ps4 pro and do plan on getting ps5 pro too in a couple of years. PCIe will likely be the norm too once price falls but my five year Outlook is more in terms of multi tasking. I hope the system will be able to handle multiple apps and occasional pc games like cs, lol etc.. While I use my PS console for something like cyberpunk.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
I was thinking of getting two 16gb sticks rather than 2 8gb ones considering few apps are ram heavy. Will likely buy the second 16 gb stick by March / April. Also which brand would you recommend here?

Noted. Will register the card for the extended warranty. Thanks

Top Bottom