PC config/build help gaming PC <$900

vmars4eva

Right off the assembly line
I have been reading posts on this forum from time to time for a while and I really trust the users on here. I am prepping to build my first self-built PC and need advice a Windows 7 OEM question. Ultimately I want to make sure that all the parts I have selected will actually work well together and making sure that none of the parts have bad reputations.

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
Gaming, general computing (Internet, Microsoft Office, etc.), TV recording (like a TiVO), moderate Photoshop/InDesign use for print media

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers?
Yes and no, I am pretty set on the hardware I have already researched and selected but just want to have that last set of eyes before I buy everything to make sure everything will fit. However, as long as a suggested change will keep my budget under $900, I will consider a change.

3. What is your MAX budget?
$900, it will take a lot of convincing for me to go over.

4. Planning to overclock?
Yes, eventually.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
I eventually want Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I am thinking of starting off with Windows 7 Home Premium OEM and then upgrading to Windows 7 Professional (full version) with the Microsoft student discount version. Microsoft Office Professional Academic 2010, bottom left of page. Will this idea work? Will the Windows 7 Pro license override the OEM license? In other words, if something goes wrong, will I be able to transfer the Windows 7 Pro 64-bit to a new set-up?

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
500 gb is fine for now.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen?
I have a Samsung 25.5" 1080p LCD and a Sony Dynex 20" 720p.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10?
I would say that I am about a 4.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Never built a desktop before, will be done all by me.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
Today or tomorrow.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
Yes and no. I need a computer now and at less than $900 but want some flexibility with upgrades later. For now I plan on only getting one GPU but will get another one to use in Crossfire mode. Please check my configuration (below) to see whether Crossfire will work.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
I prefer ATI videocards and AMD processors because they appear to be less expensive.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?

Illinois, will buy everything online.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary

Here is the set-up that I am thinking of purchasing:

• Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad Core, $160
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD, $130
  • PSU: Corsair HS Series CMPSU-650HX ATX12V v2.2 SLI Ready 80 Plus Bronze, $120 (PSU and MoBo come together with a $30 discount)
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), $100
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16, $180
  • HD: Western Digial Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5", $56
  • Optical Drive: Samsung CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C-OEM, $21
  • Case: Cooler Master Elite 330 ATX Mid Tower, $50
Total with discounts + shipping: $850

Thank you for anyone who takes a look at this configuration for me. I am pretty new to PC components, so if any of these components are usually duds, please let me know.

One last question: Most of this MoBo's SATA connectors appear to be 6Gb/s, and the hard drive takes 3 Gb/s. Will this be a problem?

Thanks!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
first of all welcome to TDF :smile:

everything looks good & balanced. still a couple of suggestions:

1. get HIS ICQ HD5770. its better than the stock cooler that comes on the Sapphire. or check out PowerColor PCS+ HD5770. not sure of the pricing but expect 10$ more.

2. get a different cabinet. if you going for Xfire in future. specially something with side mounting HDDs. and capable of taking in more fan. with CM Elites, you'll be cramping for space even before you install your graphics card. something like NZXT panzerbox (if you like its super odd design) or NZXT M59 (from newegg)

3. check prices of Biostar 890FX board. it should retail for 135-140$. but you'll get X16+X16 slots. also 890FX best for OC.

about the HDD issue, it won't be of any problem. just that Sata 3.0 allows high bandwidth. but Sata 2.0 will work fine in it. backward compatibility.

OP
V

vmars4eva

Thanks Sam.Shab, I am looking at the NZXT M59 case right now and it looks really good and not much more expensive than getting the CM Elite. It seems perfect except for that I am a little uncomfortable with having a window on the side of the case (grad student housing, other people might get ideas). Do you have any suggestions for a similar case that will have enough space for everything that does not have a window?

The Biostar board looks great and looks like it has more to it compared to the Gigabyte board I originally had. I am a little concerned that it does not have any PCI Express X1 slots because a lot of the TV tuners I have looked at require a PCI E x1. Also, it seems to have a low amount of SATA connectors. Also, would the PSU I had before work well with this MoBo?

The GPU seems like a good switch so I will get the HIS version.

Thanks again!

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
hmm alternative for nzxt M59. umm try antec three hundred or the more expensive cooler master centurion 690.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanks Sam.Shab, I am looking at the NZXT M59 case right now and it looks really good and not much more expensive than getting the CM Elite. It seems perfect except for that I am a little uncomfortable with having a window on the side of the case (grad student housing, other people might get ideas). Do you have any suggestions for a similar case that will have enough space for everything that does not have a window?

you can do a Power Search in newegg. you'll get a good sorted list of cabinet according to your needs.

The Biostar board looks great and looks like it has more to it compared to the Gigabyte board I originally had. I am a little concerned that it does not have any PCI Express X1 slots because a lot of the TV tuners I have looked at require a PCI E x1. Also, it seems to have a low amount of SATA connectors. Also, would the PSU I had before work well with this MoBo?

well, i think you can hook the TV tuner card to the 4th PCIe X 16 slot. it runs at X1 speed.

hmm alternative for nzxt M59. umm try antec three hundred or the more expensive cooler master centurion 690.

well yes. Antec three hundred is a good choice. but it got a front or so red LED fan. now that maybe a bit of problem for OP again.

OP
V

vmars4eva

OK... I have made some changes based on everyone's suggestions. The changes are in italics:

• Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad Core, $160
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD, $130
  • PSU: Corsair HS Series CMPSU-650HX ATX12V v2.2 SLI Ready 80 Plus Bronze, $120 (PSU and MoBo come together with a $30 discount)
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM $100; changes because someone said that I needed DDR3 1333 for the MoBo
  • GPU: HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16, $180
  • Optical Drive: Samsung CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C-OEM, $21
  • Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, $40, because my previous case would have been cluttered. I chose this case because it did not have a window on the side because I am uncomfortable with my computer insides broadcasting themselves to my housemates. This is not the 690 Centurion that was recommended, though, so will I run into the same problem that the Cooler Master Elites have with the space issue?
  • Windoes 7 Home Premium 64-bit retail edition (I really do not understand the OEM stuff, and after talking to Microsoft customer service about it I am even more confused so I will just get the retail version. It is only about $60 more so it is fine.) $160
Total: About $900

Now, the one thing I did not change yet is the MoBo. This is the piece that is causing me the most confusion. The most confusing aspects are whether they are compatible with the Phenom II 955 processor, whether I will have access to any PCI slots for a TV tuner, and the most significant confusion I have is about which PSU will work well with the MoBo. I selected the board that I originally selected because it came with recommended PSU with a combo discount so I figure they will work well together. If someone could recommend a board with a corresponding PSU - and check to make sure the RAM and processor are compatible - that would be GREATLY appreciated!

OP
V

vmars4eva

Here is the final configuration I decided with... Just ordered from Newegg! There were a couple 4th of July sales I needed to make a move on before it was too late.

All in all, I made it just under $900.

• Motherboard: M4A79XTD EVO 790X AM3 RT, about $100
  • PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650 TX 650W RT, about $70 after discounts
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2x2B) 240 pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper) 1GB 128-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16, $170
  • Optical Drive: ASUS 22x DVD OEM - $22
  • Case: Rosewill Destroyer Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - only $40 with two discounts
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit retail edition $160
All in all, I researched about three dozen other possible combinations using ideas from this board (mostly on the "post your own purchase" and people's quote tags) and suggested on this thread before I decided on this configuration. I hope it will work out! The most risky item seems like the case, which was an attractive mix between flashy and austere (no window, phew!) but I do not know if Rosewill is the best brand and there might end up being space issues.

The MoBo and PSU was the most difficult to decide on, I needed just three right combination of PCIe16x and in the right arrangement. The arrangement was really tricky because I know the GPU takes up two slots so if I want to install a TV tuner and another card for crossfire, I needed a strategic placement. Then, I needed to find a PSU that had the right amount of connectors and two PCIe 6+2 connectors in case I upgrade both GPUs down the line.

Thanks Hardware Q&A!

Top Bottom