passwrd protectd wi-fi..

Status
Not open for further replies.

magneticme200

In the zone
i have a wifi router installd at my home..
the setup is like this..:
1.Phone line coming into a modem.
2.Lan wire from modem to wi-fi router.
3.Another lan wire from wi-fi to computer.

i want to passwrd protect my wi-fi...so that anybody who tries to connect is askd fr a password..!!

pls help..

Thanks in advance.

regards

Manan

swatkat

Technomancer
Almost all WiFi routers support enryption/authentication mechanisms like WPA. You can check out these links:
*www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx
*www.scribd.com/doc/4426634/Setup-of-UT300R2-With-Linksys-WRT54G
*www.home-network-help.com/wireless-router.html

OP
M

magneticme200

In the zone
im nt able to understand the content given in those websites buddy..!!

i hv a beetel modem connected to my d-link wi-fi router, which is connected to my pc..!!
nw tell me hw do i do the settings fr setting up a passwrd??

thnks in advance

manan

tuxybuzz

Ballack Junior
ok..open 192.168.1.1 in your browser..enter username and password(username is mostly admin and password is either 'admin' or 'password' without quotes everywhere)..now look for wireless there and there will be some option for security..WEP is bare minimum..WPA is recommended..

OP
M

magneticme200

In the zone
ok..open 192.168.1.1 in your browser..enter username and password(username is mostly admin and password is either 'admin' or 'password' without quotes everywhere)..now look for wireless there and there will be some option for security..WEP is bare minimum..WPA is recommended..

actually bro wen i open 192.168.1.1 it opens up a page with fr the beetel....(which is my modem.)...fr setting up a passwrd in the di-fi router...i should have a d-link page..(dlink is my wi-fi router's brand.)..isnt it??
nw hw do i get that.?

swatkat

Technomancer
actually bro wen i open 192.168.1.1 it opens up a page with fr the beetel....(which is my modem.)...fr setting up a passwrd in the di-fi router...i should have a d-link page..(dlink is my wi-fi router's brand.)..isnt it??
nw hw do i get that.?
You mean to say that you don't know the IP address of the router? It can be found out by checking your PC's ARP table. Follow these steps:
1. Open a Command Prompt window, and give this command:
Code:
ping 192.168.1.255
This ping will timeout. No need to worry about it.

2. Next, enter the following command:
Code:
arp -a
This should show you IP (and MAC) addresses of both Beetel modem and D-Link Wifi router. Now using this IP address, you can access WiFi router's configuration page in browser. Once you are into the configuration page, setup the WiFi password according to your needs.

OP
M

magneticme200

In the zone
You mean to say that you don't know the IP address of the router? It can be found out by checking your PC's ARP table. Follow these steps:
1. Open a Command Prompt window, and give this command:
Code:
ping 192.168.1.255
This ping will timeout. No need to worry about it.

2. Next, enter the following command:
Code:
arp -a
This should show you IP (and MAC) addresses of both Beetel modem and D-Link Wifi router. Now using this IP address, you can access WiFi router's configuration page in browser. Once you are into the configuration page, setup the WiFi password according to your needs.

aftr doing wat you said....i get a lot of ip addresses(total 7 addresses)/....
2 of which are dynamic type and rest are static type.,..!!
nw which one is my wi-fi router's address??

swatkat

Technomancer
Hmmm.... Try opening all of them in a web browser. The IP address which gives/shows a webpage or login prompt (similar to your Beetel modem) is the address of your router.

OP
M

magneticme200

In the zone
magnet go for this simple method as I mentioned in my earlier post as well. Just go to command prompt, type ipconfig /all. ....... Whatever your gateway is, that's your router's IP.(internal)

Or if you still want another method.....go to command prompt again type tracert yahoo.com
The first stop mostly is your router ip.

buddy....both of the methods give me same ip add...which opens up a beetel webpage...which is my modem's brand and not my router's.
pls c this again..
i hv this setup...

1.internet lan cable from beetel modem to d link wi fi router port (lan1)
2.internet lan cable from wi fi router port (lan2) to my pc.

nw tell me..!!
i suppose the desired address should give me a d link webpage...isnt it??
pls correct me if im wrong.!

thnks in advance

manan

OP
M

magneticme200

In the zone
WTH. not possible, even I have the same setup

1. Internet cable CAT 5 from beetle modem to linksys router internet port (not the lan)
2. Internet cable CAT 5 from router lan port 1 to my PC

what do you get the default gateway as when you type ipconfig /all. Usually the default ip is 192.168.0.1. (whci is what default gateway is)

Also I recomend you typing the command on your laptop and not on your desktop, that would definately reduce your number of ips that 7 of what your are getting. Check out the following snapshot

*i35.tinypic.com/2d6nnk1.jpg

look at the attachment....this is wat i get...
and when i enter 192.168.1.1 i get a beetel webpage....and i should hv a dlink webpage..!!

OP
M

magneticme200

In the zone
I cannot open the attachment...... gives nothing, host the snapshot on some hosting site like imageshack or tinipic and then put a snap shot.....

BTW did you put the command on to your laptop????

shall i use the command on my laptop when im using internet on laptop thru wi-fi???
btw here is the screenshot..!!

*i37.tinypic.com/fylgxz.jpg

thnks

manan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom