partition shows unallocated -urgent help pls!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
Hi,

I had vista installed... and i had to install windows 2000 for running a VC++ program of mine which screwed everything. I had to install vista again. So, i formatted using paragon partition manager and after installing vista, now, a 70 GB drive is not shown. It shows unallocated instead!!! I had 10 GB unallocated for linux installation before.. It shows 80 GB unallocated now, includin this 70 GB. And I have valuable data in it! :( pls help me recover this partition.

legolas.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
legolas said:
Hi,

I had vista installed... and i had to install windows 2000 for running a VC++ program of mine which screwed everything. I had to install vista again. So, i formatted using paragon partition manager and after installing vista, now, a 70 GB drive is not shown. It shows unallocated instead!!! I had 10 GB unallocated for linux installation before.. It shows 80 GB unallocated now, includin this 70 GB. And I have valuable data in it! :( pls help me recover this partition.

legolas.

You have to wait upto night when expert digitian will advice u. Till then u may try this thread, if u get any clue.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
Hi, thank you but that post, he had issues with FAT32/NTFS partition limit.

Btw, I did somethings as shown here
*kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101625.asp

and now, it says the partition is "RAW" and needs to be formatted??? I dont know why that tutorial is given then... Now i have a RAW UNFormatted bulk of space with hopefully my data in it! I am very badly in need of this data.. I cant get those 70 GB of data again! :( poor me, shud have taken backup! please suggest something. I tried using partition magic, hirenboot CD (partition magic, acronis suite(this sucks), winternals and other tools available there too.. :(

legolas

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
it sounds like you're F***ed. but I have heard of recovery proccesses that business use, but it cost a lot of money, I remember seeing something similliar on here about programs that might get some of your data back, but generally it is not 100%... try to PM "Choto Cheeta" he's helped me out a lot, and actually responds to PM's, what a nice guy eh?!

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
You are right! I had some 30% of the data backed up somewhere. I dug it out sometime back... I had to format the disk! Damn windows! :(

Thanks anyways.. My laptop is up and running again... hurrayyy :) ubuntu with vista.

legolas

PS: My humble advice is never to install vista and windows 2000!!! :)

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
i said "and windows 2000". That package is an explosive i meant!

legolas.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
legolas said:
Hi, thank you but that post, he had issues with FAT32/NTFS partition limit.

Btw, I did somethings as shown here
*kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101625.asp

and now, it says the partition is "RAW" and needs to be formatted??? I dont know why that tutorial is given then... Now i have a RAW UNFormatted bulk of space with hopefully my data in it! I am very badly in need of this data.. I cant get those 70 GB of data again! :( poor me, shud have taken backup! please suggest something. I tried using partition magic, hirenboot CD (partition magic, acronis suite(this sucks), winternals and other tools available there too.. :(

legolas

I think my reply will provide a reason for the FAT32?NTFS partition Dilemma..
Well even i tried Partitioning my HDD after a fresh install of WIN XP Pro on my C Drive. I tried making partitions thru then Computer Mgmt option of Windows found by doin this---> Control Panel> Administrative Tools > Computer Mgmt > (in the left panel of the window that has just opened) > Storage > Disk Mgmt.

Now, one thing to be noted here is (for begineers and those who are NOT so fluent with the partitioning thing) ..tat once u start making partitions, WIN XP will Allow ONLY 4 PRIMARY Partitions (the ones marked Dark blue in the screenshot below) and to make more partitions, u will first hv to make a Extended Partition and using tat a Logical Drive would be made and then u can make as many EXTENDED PARTITIONS as u like (see the screenshot) marked with the NAVY Blue icons..... :)

*images1.pictiger.com/thumbs/0b/70a1b6a03341121a297776e98d69e70b.th.jpg

I hope this may solve ur problem/confusion a bit.. :)

Rep me if u like my post.. ;)

Cheers n e-peace....

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
i think possibly u have damaged the file type of that partition( it happens some times :( ) and if that is the case then i don't think there is an option to regain ur data except thru recovery softwares (that too not 100%).....

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
legolas said:
I had to format the disk! Damn windows! :(
Thanks anyways.. My laptop is up and running again... hurrayyy :) ubuntu with vista.

Hi,

I have formatted my system and everything is fine now. I dont know the reason for that mess what happened. I have formatted like a zillion times before! Thank you. But I have solved the issue with the best treatment that is most often the only way in windows, FORMAT.

legolas

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
legolas said:
Hi,

But I have solved the issue with the best treatment that is most often the only way in windows, FORMAT.

legolas

LOLz.... Agree with u completely bro :D:D neways all the best for ur newly installed OS :D

Cheers n e-peace....

Status
Not open for further replies.