Panasonic Digital Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilpai

Techans
I have been reading a few Panasonic reviews and I find that a common complaint of most Pannys is that they have too much noise even at low ISOs. Is this correct? Also they seem to have weaker flash as compared to the Sonys & the Canons.
But they are much advanced in features as compared to Sony/Canon.

I am considering the Panasonic FX36 which is basically the TZ5 minus the extended zoom range and without the ability to zoom in videos in a smaller package.

Am torn between this model & the Sony W270.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
hey nikeel

little differnt from what i thought..you would post..i said start a thread about your buying concern. and you came bashing on pansonic haha.. anyways.. i reply to that what you asked.. but first tell me
why yo want to buy this camera? which camera you hve use and curentlyaving? .. why drop down to these two models? (help me understand ur reuirement o your purchase) and why a compact camera..

as for the flash / noise at low iso in pansonic cameras, see the diffrent modes have dfferent flash and censor used, which model you refering to. ..?? cant just say that panasonic have low flash. well i can give you models from other like cannon or fuji or nikon even that have low capacity fash. or dont work properly, even though they work properly likewise may be the model no you saw have the problem but dont just say the company name dude.. its aint right. :( seriously dude..

Last edited:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
and
also.. consider this.. if flash is high.. sometimes it gives a picture that has been taken at evening not night, and sometimes i have seen the cannon dslr took a picture that made the picture like a false.. it made the complextion of a dark skin guy to little different.. i mean it.. the flash we were using was not right. that made the picture wrong not the camera. and to tell you the truth i myself dont do much of night shots bcoz these super flashes takes the beauty away. thats why i see companies making such flashes so that they dont change the environment. also.. if the flash is used at high speed or it flashed and the shutter was open for more time or less time the result will be different. 3rdly, since the flash takes away energy from the battery so if it gives too much light its eating into battery power, if its saving the bater than its giving less light.. so its like finding the right balance.

-
tell me why you buying a basic point n shoot when you have a bit knowledge to exploit.. ? :x

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
I am currently having a 4 year old Nikon Coolpix 3700 camera and am trying to buy one to replace that.

I would be using the camera for the following purposes:
1. Shooting pics when I travel abroad
2. Shooting pics at parties and family functions
3. Taking pics & short videos of my baby

I am looking for the following features in the camera:
1. Wide angle lens
2. Widescreen video recording (not necessarily HD but 16:9 recording mandatory)

My budget is Rs.10-15 k and would prefer a compact camera which I can carry in my pockets while travelling & at functions. It should also have a decent battery life.

Cameras which are at the top of my list:
1. Panasonic FX36: Because it has a 25mm wide angle lens & HD video recording. Has a f/2.8 aperture. Plus is very sleek.
2. Sony W270: Because it has a 28mm wide angle lens and records HD videos in MPEG4 format so that I can record longer videos. Downside is f/3.3 aperture and excessive 12 MP crammed into the small sensor.

Other cameras considered:

Actually I prefer Canon image quality but the cheapest Canon which has wide angle & does widescreen videos is Canon Ixus 110 which is about 19k. So that rules Canon out.

Fujifilm F200EXR : Very good for low light images but is slightly expensive. Plus doesn't record widescreen videos.

This leaves me only with Sony W270 and a range of Panasonic cameras such as FS5, FX36 and FX520. I don't need the extra optical zoom at the telephoto end so not considering the TZ15.

What I have heard is ....and this is not restricted to a particular model.... that overall Panasonic cameras have very high noise even at low ISOs. Further their flash is not strong. As you mention, I am not sure whether its true for all Panasonic Lumix cameras but thats what I have read in many places.

Edit: I am getting the Panny FX36 for Rs.11.2k and the Sony W270 for Rs.15.8k.

Last edited:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
(Apologies for late reply, I got a little busy yesterday) Ya that’s the time to buy the replacement for Nikon 3700, now... Personaly I think you should gradually move upwards in category/ to prosumer or slr-like cameras. But then it’s your choice if you don’t want optical zoom and want to carry the cam in pockets... then it should be compacts but which compact. Let’s find out.
You mentioned x110is, bcoz its expensice thats why you not taking. buddy don’t consider x110is:- I have already proved that LZ15 is better than x110is, so rule the later out consider LZ15 if you think about x110is. Even if you may...but you said you dont want to. TZ6 has come now replacing TZ5 but you won’t consider. TZ7 has even more features with HD Movie Recording in AVCHD Lite with Dolby Stereo Digital Creator. In super slim, I like LX3, its good but will be expensive. LX3 is really small and take good shots.

Since, w270 you mentioned is a 12mp camera so I have to look at similar models in that category, 12MP cameras are: - Fuji F200exr, Olympus 8000, Sony DSC-W270, Panasonic DMC-TZ6,
Result ->> TZ6 or Fuji F200exr.

Anyways, I just gone through the Sizes, here are these mentioned (W x H x D): Fuji and Sony are same size... Panasonic wins here.
Fuji F200EXR -> 98 x 59 x 23 mm
Sony w270 -> 98 x 57 x 23 mm
Panasonic fx36 -> 95 x 52 x 22mm

Comparing Sony W270 / Panasonic FS5, TZ6, FX36 and FX520 / Fuji f200exr:- FX36 is 25mm, w270 is 28mm, equally good performance but, you know which scores more, Panasonics have a bit an edge here, but Fuji F200exr is good too. You can consider F5 since if its priced low having the wide 25mm lens. FX36 and FX520 have same 25mm lens have almost same features, but FX520 has more manual control and touch screen. Unlike the TZ6, you cannot optically zoom while filming a video in both Fx520 or FX36. Canon 860 IS good but 8 MP, 28-105mm and 3in screen, while the Panasonic FX36 has 10.1 MP, 25-100mm zoom and a 2.5 in screen... Though the megapixel diff is not much but with HD Video recording and output, better Auto mode iA of Panasonic is better choice. ! If you want a bit more manual control and fancy the touch screen take FX520 but can have the TZ5 in similar price with more zoom. If do not want the touchscreen then take either Fuji F200exr or Panasonic FX36. which looks good to you and have a comparable price. That’s up to you to decide what deal you getting. I mean what price you getting between these four models and what suits to your priority more. .

If consider price you mentioned FX36 for Rs.11.2k, Sony W270 for Rs.15.8k
->> FX36 any day man, Take fx36 at that price. It’s a better camera. with features it wins all the way!!

Regards .. keep clicking.

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
The only reason I am considering the Sony W270 is for its MPEG4 codec.
Compare this: I can record only 8 minutes of HD video on a 2GB card on the Panasonics whereas I can do close to 40 mins of HD video on a 2GB card on the Sony W270.
Of course I can get around this by getting a 8GB card for the Panasonic.... it would be still cheaper than the W270 !!

Fujifilm F200EXR: Its getting wonderful reviews on all sites but unfortunately it doesn't do widescreen videos.

I agree with your point that I should move upwards to prosumer/slr like cameras. For that reason I am considering the FX520 as it has manual controls. I am getting it around Rs.15-16k. Its bulkier than the FX36 but its still pocketable.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Whats the price of 8gb or 16gb SDHC card now? you can carry 2 of those than.

Thats a real dialama here, W270 is good at MP4 recordng, thats saves the space. Fx36 is better at other points and cheaper, you can buy 2 memory cards than, LZ5/LZ6 are decent cameras infact bestsellers but you dont want the optical zoom. Fuji 200exr is decent but no HDvideos, FX520 has 3in touch screen and controls, but no optical zoom in videos, no mp4, 15.6k on expensive side. Seriously, even I am confused here.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
^and what about others? same details of other models?

tell me whats the price you getting for these models LX3/LZ6/LZ7/F200exr and also memory cards!!

Regards

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
Panasonic FX36 charges in 120 mins max.

LX3: Rs.30k approx
LZ6/LZ7 : Discontinued. No longer available. LZ8 is available for 6k but even that is disappearing fast from shelves.
F200EXR: Rs.18k approx

Trying to find out memory card prices. I think 8GB SDHC is about Rs.1100

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Panasonic FX36 charges in 120 mins max.
thats good.. my friends sony digicam takes 24hours to charge .. dont remember the the model no.

LX3: Rs.30k approx
way expensive man .. good camera no doubt but thats very expensive. Canon G10 is better in that case
LZ6/LZ7 : Discontinued. No longer available. LZ8 is available for 6k but even that is disappearing fast from shelves.
oh .. I meant TZ6/TZ7
F200EXR: Rs.18k approx
at this price its a no
Trying to find out memory card prices. I think 8GB SDHC is about Rs.1100
in delhi my regular guy quoted me 800 bucks so that way i think memory cards are cheap, but cameras are cheap in usa.. what a pitty.

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
oh .. I meant TZ6/TZ7

I heard that TZ7 is available for around Rs.20k in Alfa with B&W. But I have no confirmation of the same. The same source also said that TZ6 is available for Rs.18k.

A official Panasonic store is quoting the TZ7 at 24k !!

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
where you get prices.. it was fast man.. is that from some site or what/

whats ur thought about the camera now.. after ur thoughts and thinking and thoughts :lol:

btw IMO you shall take TZ7 it has the latest HighDefi stuff ... just read on the reviews its just good for you. some photos at forus ar also posted. thoough there is no use of such high 12mp. but the camera is good. you can shoot at 6mp. but kind off too exp, or rather choose a 11k model.. , get 2 memory cards of your choice, save a money now .. and when you can buy a a slr-like with high optical zoom of 20x or so in six months time or a DSLR. thats what i think as of now.

Last edited:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
nice.. but

1. if you comapre it with fx36/tz7 . . it doesnt have optical zoom while shooting your HD Videos?

2. speaking of tz7 .. it has AVCHD lite video .. so doesn that record in AVI mpeg4 h.264 or raw?

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
TZ7 is for 24k (as I mentioned someone said its available at Alfa in Mumbai for 19-20k but there is no confirmation of the same and even if its 20k thats still expensive)

One advantage of the FX520 is that it has complete manual controls. TZ7 even at 20k has no manual controls.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
1. .. I wasnt recommending it I was just asking about the new features like it has AVCHD lite video .. so does that record in AVI mpeg4 h.264 or raw or moving jpeg in .mov?

2. It must have some controls, by full manual controls you mean changing aperture and shutter speed? so you saying that in fx36 you cant change it there are few options available to tweak it on manual setting.

3. you will be using the camera for video recording as well, so would you manage without the optical zoom.

4. which resolution will you prefer highest 720p or a lower 848*480

5. I was just wondering.. all these cameras are 10mp with the same small sensor.. have you seen any current model with 8mp with larger sensor or say instead of 1/2.33.

6. which camera's record avi-h.264 for videos?

consider these seperate questions..

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
1. .. I wasnt recommending it I was just asking about the new features like it has AVCHD lite video .. so does that record in AVI mpeg4 h.264 or raw or moving jpeg in .mov?

TZ7 records in AVI mpeg4 h.264
But it also gives an option of recording video alternatively in motion jpeg format

2. It must have some controls, by full manual controls you mean changing aperture and shutter speed? so you saying that in fx36 you cant change it there are few options available to tweak it on manual setting.

TZ7 and FX36 have few options to tweak some settings. But you cannot change aperture & shutter speed. You can do it only on the FX520.

3. you will be using the camera for video recording as well, so would you manage without the optical zoom.

Yes. I don't really need optical zoom during video. It would be a "nice to have" feature but not "must to have"

4. which resolution will you prefer highest 720p or a lower 848*480
Again, 720p would be "nice to have" and not "must to have". Widescreen 16:9 is a "must to have"...thats it.

5. I was just wondering.. all these cameras are 10mp with the same small sensor.. have you seen any current model with 8mp with larger sensor or say instead of 1/2.33.
I noticed a model Panasonic FX180 which has been recently discontinued. That had the features of the FX36 but with a large 1/1.6" sensor and 14.7 megapixels. Still high pixel density but atleast a bigger sensor. No current model is 8 MP with the features that I need....wide angle & widescreen video

Sony W300 & Fujifilm F200EXR also have larger sensors, but also more megapixels.

6. which camera's record avi-h.264 for videos?
Canon Ixus 100 & Canon Ixus 110 record h.264 but in mov format.
Sony W270 in Visual mpeg4 codec in mp4 format
Panasonic TZ7 in AVCHD in avi format

consider these seperate questions..[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom