Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
:roll:
Okay i installed Mandrake 10.1 on my PC and i tried installing KDE 3.2 frm the DVD (march 0)
Now i a not sure if DVD is curropt or not but loads of packages are not installing cuz of sum or the other error.........
Sumtimes it says the artwork is not installed or lame is not installed or glib is not installed...
idunno what the problem is ..
i am a complete newbie in thsmamla
Mplayer and XMMS are also not installing....PLease help

ujjwal

Padawan
Those packages are not getting installed because RPM packages (used by Mandrake) use dependencies, and the packages they depend on other packages, which are not present on your system.

Now, AFAIK, digit provides packages for Fedora, and not Mandrake, so its not advisable to install them. Better get the packages from the Mandrake site or use an update utiliy, if any, which is present in your system.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
First of all, distributing source packages on DVD is not a good idea at all. I was anxious about these kind of problems when Byte had put a sticky in DD

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Umm Ujjwal u mean i cannot install Mplayer ever...??
cuz i d/w one frm the net too...it also gave some error...
If i jus knew how to post the screenshot i wudve done so....

ujjwal

Padawan
No no, it just means that to install the software, you need to make sure that all the required software is present on your system.

Did you download an RPM for mandrake or did you download the source code from the official site? BTW, I hear mandrake comes with a package manager called urpmi, try using it to install new software, see *qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/UrpmiResources

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
i am not sure abt which rpm i have ...i know for sure i am using the default one as i did not d/w any new one?And what is lame ,artwork and stuff like that??

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
And how do i install in folder like this:
*img2.echo.cx/img2/7843/snapshot39ll.th.png

Where is the installation file???

ujjwal

Padawan
Try installing MPlayer by compiling the source code which you can download from the official site.

Basically, get the first download from *www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

Also download the basic codecs package.

If you do want to use RPM, make sure that the RPM is specifically for your distro.

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
I am using rpmdrake and wenever i try to install any s/w it asks for the CD....i cant specify a location on hard disk....
As far as compiling goes i have no idea how to compile it even...LOL

ujjwal

Padawan
To install packages from source -

Get the package (tar.gz or tar.bz2)

Open a terminal and cd to the directory where you downloaded it.

Unpack it using

tar xvzf filename.tar.gz

Replace xvzf with xvjf if it is a tar.bz2

cd to the newly created directory, and read the documentation

less README
less INSTALL

The generall way to compile the software would be to run the following commands -

./configure
make
make install

Make sure neither process returns an error.

As for RPM Drake, sorry I don't use RPMs ... so don't know much about it.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I installed mplayer sucessfully in fedora core 3 as well as in ubuntu but i cant find it in the k menu-> sound and video.Where is the runnable file.Even if I give mplayer in the run window no mplayer as well as no error saying application not found .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom